Though if past history is our guide, the fact that it's now in public beta is a good sign that it's not too far away. As Steven implies, no telling the date for sure, but it seems reasonable to expect it will now be at least this year. :-) Perhaps even a matter of months. Surely will depend on how the beta goes, but again you'll get no commitment from anyone, Brian.
We just received our upgrade licenses from CF8 to 9 and haven't installed 9 yet; planning to do so in the next 2-3 weeks. However CF10 looks so incredible that it would be tempting to wait but we probably won't. However, I was wondering if we will need to pay for new upgrade licenses if CF10 is coming out in the next few months.
If you simply purchased upgrade licenses, then yes you'll need to pay for CF10 upgrades as well.
If you're on a maintenance model(subscription), such as platinum support, then as long as that subscription is active you'll get new licenses as and when they are made available.
While that’s indeed true, Andy, I thought the OP was asking “what if I buy CF9 within x months of the release of CF10?” Sometimes vendors do offer “grandfathering” upgrades to the new release, without extra cost (and without requiring they be on maintenance). I was just saying that if such would be offered, it’s not (in my recollection) been Adobe’s policy to discuss that during the beta. Anyone remember otherwise? I could certainly be wrong (or maybe they have never offered such grandfathered upgrades for recent purchases.)
That's a good point. Adobe have done this in the past but not with the last two versions of CF (at least). It's typically been a Creative Suite offering.
When they have done it, it's usually been a 30 day grandfather period...
The ultimate decision is Adobe's obviously, but I doubt the final release will be with us for at least 3 months (thats based on the previous public beta schedules).
Thanks for the additional clarifications, Andy. I’ll admit I’ve not paid too close attention to the status of such offers in the past, so good to hear from someone who did. Hope that helps the OP (original poster, for those not familiar with the acronym).
I've installed CF9 in a test environment and it seems like it will work fine for our production.
Now, the more I see of CF10 the more I feel that we should wait for this Zeus release and not bother with the interim CF9 upgrade and necessary testing.
We're currently running IIS and I'd like to move to apache with tomcat at the same time (which would be another reason to wait.)
Does anyone think that it would be unwise to delay the upgrade until CF10 is available, and would there be any difficulties upgrading from 8 to 10?
I strongly recommend that you try your application with CF10 public beta. This will help you not only test your applications but also provide Adobe any feedback/bugs that they can fix that are important for this application to be running on CF10.