• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is Flash Player crashing on your computer?

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 24, 2012 Jan 24, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If so, we'd like to hear from you.  Please see this FAQ for details on how to report these crashes to Adobe.

How do I report a Flash Player crash to Adobe?

Thanks,

Chris

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Feb 17, 2012 Feb 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris,

I've done a bit of in-depth into this so I thought I'd share in the hope that it can be rectified.

Current System:

Win 7 Ultimate 64bit

AMD FX 6100+

Asus M5A97 PRO Bios 0902 (latest) (AMD chipset)

16Gb Corsair Vengeance

Onboard sound

Sapphire Tech 7950 OC edition

Microsoft wireless Keyboard

Microsoft Sidewinder Wired Mouse

All the above has most recent drivers.

Previous system (that had no faults)

AMD 64 X2 6400+

Asus M2NSLI DELUXE (latest bios) (Nvidia chipset)

4Gb Adata

Creative XF-i sound

Asus GTX460 Top

Microsoft wireless Keyboard

Microsoft Sidewinder Wired Mouse

All the above has most recent drivers.

Issue:

I've tried IE 32bit, 64bit and Firefox and they all get the same crash.

Crash description:

When I go to a web sight that runs flash; a good example of this that crashes every time. Lotto, instant wins, bingo and choose the auto reveal option. At this point the mouse pointer freezes on the screen, the lights on the mouse are non responsive, the keyboard doesn't work, not even the hub lights for "num lock" etc. If you press the reset button on the pc the screen goes black as if it's reset but there is a faint glow from the hdd led and that's as far as it gets. Only way to get the pc to restart is to hold down the power button till it switches off.

Upon reboot, any web pages that you added to favorites/bookmarks are lost.

There is no crash log and windows event log is clear.

Now, this happens with my current system, we can rule out the graphics card as that is new and the previous card (which also crashed the same, was an nvidia and not ATi). Tonight I created a backup of my drive with Acronis, formatted the drive and installed windows fresh. I had to install bundled motherboard drivers to get internet and usb running. I installed all windows updates and then installed flash. Went to the Lotto web site as above and CRASH!

So where is the problem??

Flash and windows7 64bit?

Flash and motherboards AMD chipset?

Any other info that I've missed out, feel free to ask.

Mark.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 21, 2012 Feb 21, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the details.  What will really help us would be a crash log, exact URL and a dxdiag system report.  If you can gather that information (using just Internet Explorer would be fine) and create a new bug report over at bugbase.adobe.com we can investigate further.

This page has step by step instructions on what to do:  http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/839/cpsid_83975.html

Thanks,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 13, 2012 Mar 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm updating to say that my issue is fixed now.

Onboard Realtek sound card is junk. I had the up to date drivers from the motherboard manufacturers website and I even installed the drivers from Realtek's own website, to no avail.

I installed my old Asus Xonar DX PCIe x1 sound card in the 2nd PCIe x16 slot (because my graphics card fouls the x1 slot, yes this does work; for me anyway), disabled the Realtek onboard sound in the bios and I don't crash any more. --FIXED--

So I suggest everyone who is having Flash Player problems to try a separate sound card.

Note. Don't just try and disable the onboard sound card in the bios and boot your pc with no sound, it'll still crash.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 27, 2012 Mar 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Daer Gambit: I want to try yuor solution, as my flash player constantly crashes. I have a windows 7 SP1 home premium on a HP Pavilion and I can disable onboard sound card, but how do I install a new sound card? My system seems to have a second sound card "ATI high definition audio" but it says it is not plugged in? How do I install it? I have no way of going into BIOS at all in my system. Is there a specail key I should try while booting? I have tried "DEL" and "TAB" with no luck.

TIA

--gajananam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gajananam,

Firstly. To get into bios with most computers, you press the Delete key shortly after you pressed the power button to start the computer and normally when you see a full screen logo or bios data screen. (before windows logo appears).

As you have a HP it could be anyone of the 'F' keys along the top.

I just read on a HP forum that it's F10 when the screen is blank. So press the power on and keep tapping F10

ATI high definition audio. This is not a seperate sound card, it most likely refers to the speaker/headphone port on the front of the pc tower or a digital optical on the back. In short, it's a plug-in socket and wont work as a fix.

To install a sound card. Firstly you need to go buy one... Just cheked an online store and these range from £6 to £350 The one I have is around the £50 and that's a 24 bit 7.1 So no need to go mad.

But before you go out and buy one we need to know if it will fit in your pc, for this we need to know what model of HP Pavilion it is, so we can find the motherboard spec.

Hope that helps.

Mark.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Mark: Thanks for helping me get into the bios mode (will try it tonight at home, but I am pretty sure it will work, as I was pressing DEL and TAB after the windows logo appeared). From your description, the ATI high def card is not a replacement for the realtek. I have a HPE 180t desktop model. I can live with a cheap sound card. Is it fairly easy to install a new one, once I get into the bios mode? Obviously, one needs to open up the computer to get into the motherboard.

--Thanks again for your kind help

--gajananam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gajananam,

HPE 180t desktop.

So this is your pc? http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01976263&lang=en&cc=us&taskI...

This should your Motherboard. http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=uk&lc=en&docname=c01901210

Sound options for you pc according to HP are...

Sound  Must select one of the following options:

• Integrated 7.1 Sound (7.1 capable sound with front audio ports)

• SoundBlaster X-Fi Xtreme  

• SoundBlaster X-Fi XtremeGamer 

I'm guessing you have the first one?

From your pc spec you'd be best going for a PCI-Express x1 card. As there is no guarantee this is going to fix your problem and I don't know if your symptoms are the same as mine I'd try a cheap card.

Here are all the pci-e x1 cards on this site. http://www.dabs.com/category/components-and-storage,graphics--tv-tuners-and-i-o,sound/11140-42949449...

You don't have to buy it from there of course, it's just to give you an idea.

manual for your pc. http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02067973.pdf (page 28 for adding a card)

Before you do any of this. Try upgrading your drivers. graphics, sound, motherboard chipset...etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Gambit: Thanks so much. Will try other things, before embarking on this adventure. Yes, I have a pc, with a  realtek high definition audio, which probably the first option of the sound cards.

--Thanks again

--Cheers

--gajananam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 01, 2012 Apr 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Mark: One more question, before I embark on replacing the sound card. To absolutely make sure, sound card is my problem, suppose I uninstalled the driver for realtek, followed by disabling the onboard audio. So I will have no sound. If my flash player still crashes, can we deduce that it is not the sound card, may be it is something else?

--Thanks again for your help

--Cheers

--gajananam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Gajananam,

Yeahhh, I thought that. Sadly mine still crashed after I'd uninstalled and disabled. Only after I put the card in did it work.

Maybe ask a friend if you can borrow theirs, you must know someone who has a sound card...

Other option is buy one and if it doesn't fix it take it back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Mark: Thanks--you already tried that, so I do not have to. As you had mentioned before, only certain sound cards are compatible with my desktop, right? So I need to get only one of those, and all my friends have only windows 7 32-bit laptops, and I have a windows 7 64-bit desktop.

I suppose I can buy one and return it (as you have suggested).

--Thanks again

--gajananam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not really a case of   "only certain sound cards are compatible with your desktop"   The old sound card format of ISA was replaced by PCI and that has been replaced by PCI-e as they become obsolete, the manufacturers naturally remove them from their motherboards.

Don't worry about having to buy PCI-e, the reason why you only have PCI-e slots on your motherboard is, because it's the best!

You don't have to get one off the list I mentioned, any PCI-e (PCI Express as it's often called) will be fine.

Note. Some sound cards like my Asus Xonar DX require power. Which mine gets from the power lead that would feed a floppy drive. Most likely there will be an adaptor in the box anyway, just remember to plug it in.

I hope it works for ya!

Mark.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Daer Mark: Thanks a bunch for your advice (as you can tell, I am very naive in these things). I will get a cheap PCI-e card and try it out.

--Cheers

--gajananam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 05, 2012 Apr 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gajananam...do please post if this fixes your issue as still, have not ordered the sound card for my build as of yet...just want to be at least more than likely that this will fix my problem as well.

On a side not latest patch did fix video crash error I was recieving on older comp so good news there

Also Gambit I noticed when you listed your components   you just have onboard sound listed...if you don't mind what chipset/make was it. Also do you have digital speakers or analog speakers...I've noticed alot of sound cards saying digital (PCI E) that is found only 1 cheap $17 card that actually said digital/analog on it. Was wondering cause I just have old left right and sub speaker set up with single plug & was wondering if thats going to cause future problems with sound quality. As it is now I only get minimal sound out of left and right and hardly none out of sub...no bass just treble...I know this is off topic but I figured I had all these ?'s to ask so why not . Thnx for your input as always

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Malikye,

Yep, when I listed components I was crashing like a good-un. Asus M5A97 PRO uses the Realtek ALC892

For my speakers I have a semi vintage Creative DTT2200 5.1 system (roughly 10yrs old) This uses the same end jacks as the standard headphone system (TRS). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRS_connector

Don't worry about sound cards saying "digital" that's how the card's input from the game media player... blah, blah, blah, is handled. Which makes it faster than analogue. It's not refering to what speaker jack the card will allow you to plug in. The industry standard "TRS connector" (speaker jack) is accepted by pretty much all sound cards. As long as you can see TRS Jack input shown in the link picture ---> (round holes) you'll be fine. http://i1.expansys.com/img/g/197153/turtle-beach-montego-ddl-pc-sound-card-with-5-1-surround-sound.j...

Hope that helps,

Mark.

PS. You're not going to get great sound out of standard desktop satellite speakers. If you want bass you're really looking at getting a seperate sub or even better; 5.1 surround. Modern creative 5.1 systems similar to mine are about £50 on Ebayat the moment, which isn't mega bucks and if you combine it with a half decent sound card the difference will blow you away. 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Malikye: Definitely I will post as soon as I have installed a new sound card. Chris Campbell first wants to eliminate any memory issues; so am doing a memtest86, etc to eliminate that issue, before going to the sound card replacement.

--cheers

--gajananam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2012 Apr 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Gambit & Gajananam for your quick replies and I look foward to that positive outcome . As for the speaker issue, I just wanted to make sure the poor quality that I was getting wasn't speaker related...now I know for sure that realtek apparently has a 75% fail rate with their onboard sound chipsets...with one issue or another....turns out me and gambit has the same chipset the Realtek ALC892. It apparently is just crap. I will try that memtest 86 to make sure thats not the issue either.

As always thanks for your help

welll here it is Monday, April 23... I broke down and bought a sound card.

SYBA SD-PEX63034 7.1 Channels 24-bit 48KHz PCI Express x1 Interface Surround Sound Digital/Analog Audio Card

It was just a(n) el cheapo sound card $17 bucks but I'm hoping this will fix the problem.....if it doesn't my last option will be to update the bios and pray it all works out. Have been skeptical about doing that cause other than this issue with flash and the sound being crap everything runs awesomly. Now if the crappy sound card does fix the problem and the sound is just poor then I may go for a better card then.... will prob be a week before I get the card so will have to wait and see.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 06, 2012 Apr 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For those crashing with ESET and Flash Player 11.2's automatic update service.  I've received word back from ESET that this is a known issue and systems which have their latest business version 4.2.76 or the latest home version 5.x will not encounter this crash.

In addition, yesterday an automatic program component upgrade was also made available for older versions.  For more information, please see the following KB article:

http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2981

Thanks,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2012 Apr 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

After updating Adobe Air and Flash Player yesterday I've been experiencing issues when playing back YouTube videos - my system crashes and the only way to resolve the issue is a hard reset. I read about the ESET issue but I was already running version 5.x. I've since switched from ESET Smart Security to Bitdefender 2012 and the issue still persists. Just letting you know that it may not work for everyone all the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like you're running into something different.  Can you create a new thread and post a copy of your dxdiag report and a link to a video that's caused a crash?  Also try disabling hardware acceleration to see if that makes a difference.

How do I disable or enable hardware acceleration?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Chris. I've gone and made a new discussion in the main forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Apr 22, 2012 Apr 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris, Just a note to let you know i dowloaded the update you mentioned recently. Face book Zynga games now load and play!. But still have many crashes. Now even crashes when loading games on Chrome. I give up! Guess I'll just keep refreshing and swearing at Adobe! Very dissapointed in Adobe. I started using chrome as my main program when IE started crashing so much. Now Chrome is doing the same thing. Thanks for your help Chris. At least you have tried!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 02, 2012 May 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sniderrick3.

Could you create a new thread with the following info?  Example URL that causes Flash to crash in Chrome and the contents of the page that is displayed if you navigate to "about:flash" in Chrome's address bar.

Thanks,

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 02, 2012 May 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sent: Wednesday, May 02, 2012 6:38 PM

To: sniderrick3

Subject: Is Flash Player crashing on your computer?

Re: Is Flash Player crashing on your computer?

created by Chris Campbell in Using Flash Player - View the full discussion https://apps.facebook.com/cityville/?ref=bookmarks&count=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines