Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Saving As in PS CS5 Mac reduced my files to 72 ppi

Feb 22, 2012 12:12 PM

I have spent considerable time trying to "save as" some of my high-res TIFFs into other folders as TIFFS, yet PS has insisted on reducing ppi's on these folders from original count of 600 - 1200 to 72 ppi...WHY? I want to save the changes made in PS CS5 for Mac to another file as a TIFF, so why is PS insisting on reducing the ppi to 72? Help!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 22, 2012 12:54 PM   in reply to China Carnella

It would help to know your workflow for saving the images.  Why do you need to open a high-res TIFF simply to save to another folder?

While the PPI has changed, does the vertical x horizontal pixel count remain consistent?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2012 3:14 PM   in reply to China Carnella

Photoshop didn't change the resolution on your files unless you changed it via Image Size, cropping, etc.

How are you seeing the images reduced in resolution?  Are you viewing them in another application (one that may not read metadata correctly)?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2012 3:36 PM   in reply to China Carnella

There is no such preference because Photoshop doesn't do anything like that.  Photoshop does not automatically change the resolution of your documents.  You have to do that yourself.

And no, the new document preferences have nothing to do with opening existing documents or saving them.

Somewhere, you either saved to a file format that doesn't support resolution, or changed the resolution yourself.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points