Skip navigation
teamflavin
Currently Being Moderated

Elements 10 organizer crashing

Feb 17, 2012 11:34 AM

Tags: #crash #64-bit #7 #elements_10_organizer

I have recently upgraded to Elements 10 and the organizer is exhibiting some strange behaviors. 

1.  It seems to crash A LOT. (You know "Photoshop Element Organizer has stopped working - checking for a solution to the problem")   It has crashed several times when I tried to create new catagories but it also just seems to crash randomly.

2.  Frequently the pictures in the organizer appear fuzzy if I push up the viewing size.  This never happened with the previous verisions I used -- Pictures were always crystal clear.  I have gone to the source files and they are fine. 

I am running PSE 10 on a brand new HP quad core computer running windows 7.  My photos are stored on an external drive because I have approximately 50,000 photos. 

If anyone has had similar experiences or has a suggestion I would be very grateful

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 17, 2012 11:53 AM   in reply to teamflavin

Can you please check and post in what scenarios Organizer is crashing for you?

What else you can try is deleting Organizer preferences once. From the location : %appdata%\Adobe\Elements Organizer\10.0\Organizer, delete psa.prf and status.dat files. Now re-launch EO. New preferences will be created for your files then.

Please ensure that the external drive is connected when you are viewing larger previews of your images. To further enhance the performance, try closing Auto-analysis by unticking all checkboxes for Auto-Analyzer in Edit >> Preferences >> Media Analysis dialog.

Please let me know of the results of these steps.

Thanks

andaleeb

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2012 9:32 AM   in reply to teamflavin

Good Morning,

I have never used a forum so please be forgiving.

I have the same problem as teamflavin. The crash occurs when I try to start Organizer from the welcome screen for Premiere 10. I'm running Windows 7, 64 bit. I submitted this post to encourage Adobe to take some pro- active action.

Thanks,

John C

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2012 4:29 PM   in reply to teamflavin

I also am having the same problem.  I searched through the forum and followed some of the suggestions to solve this problem - create a new catalog - did that, repair catalog - did that.  Obviously, there is a problem.  The edit function works fine with the same catalog.  Adobe really needs to get involved in solving this problem.

Many thanks

Agility Dogs

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2012 5:37 PM   in reply to teamflavin

I am having the same issues. I have Win 7 64 bit AMD 3.4 4-core with 12G ram.. Elementsutoanalyzer.exe running. Firefox and IE crash also if you try to start PE10 first. PE10 says Library is in use by another program. Problem started when autoanalyzer was activated from a pause. I think anyway.I have the 64 bit version installed. Help!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2012 6:44 PM   in reply to mrcruzr

I have also had the same problem.  It settled down a lot after I turned off Media-Analysis. 

I could never get the filters to stay selected Un-Checked.  I would uncheck everything on the page and when i went back in to check the filters were always checked again.  I just reloaded Elements 10 because of another problem and now the Filter options stay un-checked.  If auto analyzer is running at all it may crash at any minute.  I think if you turn it on and wait about 30 minutes before you ask it to do anything it is better.  I also notice a problem with Firefox while Analyzer is running.

I have windows 7 64bit and Premier Elements 10   300 GB Free and 4MB Ram

ADOBE seems to be Brain Dead on these problems!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2012 5:04 AM   in reply to teamflavin

Hi,

Would like to know what effect does Auto-analyzer have on your web browser as it doesn't seems like there's any correlation between the two. How do you conclude that browser performance is getting hampered due to AA and not because of any other reason? What kind of performance degradation for e.g. hang or not responding message you get for your browser?

Thanks

andaleeb

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2012 6:32 AM   in reply to andaleebfatima1

Task Manager sort by Memory shows how much ram it was using. Analysis finally did complete and PS10 working fine now. Hmmm. Browser was crashing and crash handler trying to restore, crash, repeat. IE failed also. Only a reboot and non-startup of PS10 worked until analysis complete.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2012 5:03 PM   in reply to mrcruzr

I have seen the Auto Analyzer running in Task Manager without Organizer running.  FireFox was running with slow update.  Ended the process and FireFox returned to normal speed.  FWIW  Flagelpater

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2012 8:54 AM   in reply to teamflavin

I had same problem with PSE 8.  Was advised to upgrade to 10.  Did that....same problem.  "Photoshop Elements 10 Has Stopped Working....."  message.a few seconds after it opens.  Not open long enough to change any settings.  Problem seems to always occur while "Generataing Thumbnails"  wheel is spinning at bottom.  Some threads say it's caused by a corrupt file---but I had deleted all files added since problem started from catalog by moving them to another location so they couldn't load---no difference. 

Also tried to stop autoanalyzer service from loading using windows services tab. The service doesn't load at start up the first time, but does load when I attempt to start PSE 10, which re-enables it to load on subsequent start-ups without asking permission.

Hope I can get some help from Adobe==if I can reach them during their business hours.  Program is not usable right now.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 28, 2012 4:31 PM   in reply to mick101692

I can't offer a solution but I can add additional weight to the existence of the problem.

I just purchased and installed PSE 10 and have been trying, without success, for 2 days to get the Organizer setup and running.  My symptoms are the same as poste mick101692 above.

My PC is a custom built quad-core Intel processor with 8 GB of equally high-speed memory and 1 TB hard drive.  PSE 10 runs fine as does everything else.  PSE 10 Organizer shuts down while building the thumbnails each time it is started.

I have been deleting the catalogue and importing smaller subsets of my media files but so far the result is the same each time.  From the demo video I saw I'd like to be able to use it.  But so far, no joy...

Howard

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 28, 2012 7:58 PM   in reply to mick101692

When you're in the "services tab", you should have the option of setting the autoanalyser service to "Disabled".

Ken

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 29, 2012 9:52 AM   in reply to teamflavin

Well, I surrender until this mystery gets resolved.  As much as I would like to use PSE 10 Organizer, it's gonna have to want to as well.   I've wasted nearly 3 days -- it takes a long time each time I go through deleting the catalogue and re-importing -- and made zero progress.

This last time I thought maybe I was onto something.  I reduced tthe number of files to just under 26,000 and everything seemed to be working fine.  They were all imported, including the tags, and then the indexes were rebuilt.  It had not abended and was still generating thumbnails when I went to bed last night. This morning, even though the little generating thumbnails icon at the bottom was still turning and saying that it was generating thumbnails. Windows Performance Monitor showed no activity associated with Organizer.

Thinking that it had loaded successfully I clicked on the program.  I don't know if it was coincidental or if I woke the program but it popped up a little "Updating" progress bar and shortly after it finished the program itself quit.

The event log is showing Windows exception code 5 which is usually a memory or graphics driver issue.  My PC runs tons of large complex programs and there has only ever been two that have generated an exception code 5.  One is Pinnacle (now Avid) Studio and now PSE 10 Organizer.  With Studio it's only occasionally and is never reproducible.  With PSE 10 Organizer it's every time shortly after the point at which I think I've successfully loaded everything and am ready to start using it.  I've never found an error with my memory but I did change it last year trying to eliminate the [occasional] exception code 5 abend in Studio but it made no difference.  Also, even though I keep my graphics (ATI Radeon HD 4850) driver updated, I have tried previous versions of the driver and it made no difference.

I think there is some issue with the way these two particular programs handle their graphics.

At any rate, though the specs look interesting and appealing, it simply doesn't work and I've spent far too much time on it already.  I'll keep watching this forum as well as the many other places that I've seen this problem reported and hopefully there will be some clarification and/or fix forthcoming that will allow me to give it another shot.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 29, 2012 4:10 PM   in reply to Howard_Woodard

Hey all, been having the same problems with a brand spanking new Dell computer. Installed 10 on it and the Organizer was continually crashing.  First crash was at importing my tags, so most tags didn't import. I reinstalled 10 a couple times. After a couple more attempts at new catalogs I tried andaleeb's suggestion above and removed the psa and status files, then created a new catalog, deleted the old one and reimported ~20K files, all went well, all tags imported as well and no crashes YET. I'll update if I crash.

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 29, 2012 7:51 PM   in reply to teamflavin

Have read the above comments but I tried Elements 10 Organizer today and contuinually crashed. It seems it does'nt like .mov file since that what hit when trying to index. I thought at least Adobe could make a piece of software that did'nt have bugs in it like most of their software they keep scamming the public for that is poorly writen.

Sure glad I have'nt bought Photoshop.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 2, 2012 10:24 AM   in reply to teamflavin

Btw, does anyone know if you can choose to import only specific file types?  I couldn't find anyway but from everything I've seen, Organizer would probably work just fine if you only imported jpg files.  In fact, I created another catalog and imported about 250 jpg images and evrything works just like the demo said it would.

Even though I said I was surrendering I just can't do it.  I keep thinking of other things to try.

I have been spending a lot of time looking through the event log.  All of the crashes are Windows Exception Code 5.  Though most crash events just say that the offending module is the PhotoshopElementsOrganizer app itself, a fair number say that its a codec being run by the Organizer app.  One was a codec which installs with Pinnacle Studio, another was a codec that gets installed by WinTV and one was mc_codecs which I have no idea which app installs.  While it is interesting info, it doesn't provide me with an easy path forward.  I don't want to uninstall Studio which I have used for years and continue to keep updated and in regular use.  Nor do I want to uninstall WinTV.  Besides, who says that Organizer wouldn't just crash when it runs other codecs installed on my system?  Besides, why doesn't it simply use its own codecs?

I have a vague sense that this may be related to what I see as a file handling anomoly as well.  My PC has 4 hard drives: (1) C: System Disk (2) D: Data Disk (3) X: Online System Disk Backup (cloned from System Disk weekly) (4) Z: Online Data Disk Backup (cloned from Data Disk weekly).  The cloning software is Casper 7.0 and makes bit-for-bit copies of hard drives.

When I first started trying to use Organizer I noticed that even though I was specifically selecting "C:\Users\<name>\Pictures", when I would look at the progress with Performance Monitor I would see that it was importing from "X:\Users\<name>\Pictures".  The only way I could get it to import only from the C: drive was to dismount the X: drive before starting.  I don't know if it would have imported from the C: drive after it completed importing from the X: drive because the import takes too long for me to wait to find out.

Update: Geez, after importing from the folders on drive C: -- the only drive that was online at the time -- and watching PSE10O accessing the files from drive C: on Performance Monitor, now when I click on properties of the resulting thumbnails in the catalog it says that they are located on drive X:.  How can this be?

Message was edited by: Howard_Woodard

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 2, 2012 3:04 PM   in reply to teamflavin

To Whom It May Concern:

I uncovered what could be a problem in OE (Organizer Elements). This could be causing crashes and numerous unexplained problems in OE and PRE in Windows 7. Please see my post in the PRE forum entitled: "Aero Problems on Win 7 With PRE, PSE and OE".

It appears that Adobe engineers are not making the proper API calls to the Aero interface. If this is the case; they are going around the proper GUI and making calls directly to the drivers or other interfaces for the display.

If this is happening; "all bets could be off " in regards to proper Windows operation. It could have many unexpected consequences and crashes in Windows. (It is like many of the old game designers going around the GUI for access to the display; not a recommend approach in modern system design).

I explain how I came to this conclusion in my post to PRE the forum. I could be wrong, but I would not trust OE management of data until this is fixed in OE and PRE. Until Adobe releases these products with the proper the calls to Aero and they act like other Windows compliant programs; I would not trust them with important data.

Your thoughts on this would be welcome.

John H.

PS These problems are mostly in OE and PRE which are NOT Aero compliant. They don't occur in PSE which IS (mostly) Aero compliant.

Message was edited by: johnhyslep

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 2, 2012 12:53 PM   in reply to teamflavin

Ok, this time I really mean it -- I give up on Organizer. It simply isn't ready for prime time.  I'm no technologist so I can't relate to APIs, GUIs, CODECs, etc but I can relate to "works" or "don't work" and this program does not work.  Occasionally working for short periods of time does not qualify as "works".

As I mentioned above, it looked like EO was ignoring my folder selection and importing from my mirrored image.  Well, it turns out that it was importing from the correct folder -- at least as long as it would run it was -- but reported location incorrectly in the properties box.  I disabled my backup (X:) drive and properties reported that the file was on the "C:" drive which is correct.  While leaving the properties box up I simply enabled the mirrored drive and, wa la,the properties box changed and started reporting that the file was on the "X:" drive.

Because of all the Exception code 5 entries that were reporting problems with codecs and dlls I had already started uninstalling things and reducing the types of media files that I was trying to organize.  Then it occurred to me that was nuts.  I already have a couple of organizers in Windows Live Photo Gallery and Google Picasso 3 that actually do work.  The hope of visual search simply isn't enough to overcome "don't work".

I'll keep using PSE10 - I like it -- but I'll skip this poor excuse for an organizer.  Maybe down the road when the Adobe folks figure out how to make an application like this work I'll give it another shot.

Adios my friend, good luck, and thanks for the help I was offered and given.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 2, 2012 1:16 PM   in reply to Howard_Woodard

Howard What you state supports my contention. OE and PRE are not compliant with Aero, and show these problems. PSE is compliant (partially) and it seems to work okay. Take care and stay tuned. John H.

Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2012 13:53:54 -0700

To: jhyslep@hotmail.com

Subject: Re: Elements 10 organizer crashing Elements 10 organizer crashing

Re: Elements 10 organizer crashing

created by Howard_Woodard in Photoshop Elements - View the full discussion

Ok, this time I really mean it -- I give up on Organizer. It simply isn't ready for prime time.  I'm no technologist so I can't relate to APIs, GUIs, CODECs, etc but I can relate to "works" or "don't work" and this program does not work.  Occasionally working for short periods of time does not qualify as "works". As I mentioned above, it looked like EO was ignoring my folder selection and importing from my mirrored image.  Well, it turns out that it was importing from the correct folder -- at least as long as it would run it was -- but reported location incorrectly in the properties box.  I disabled my backup (X:) drive and properties reported that the file was on the "C:" drive which is correct.  While leaving the properties box up I simply enabled the mirrored drive and, wa la,the properties box changed and started reporting that the file was on the "X:" drive. Because of all the Exception code 5 entries that were reporting problems with codecs and dlls I had already started uninstalling things and reducing the types of media files that I was trying to organize.  Then it occurred to me that was nuts.  I already have a couple of organizers in Windows Live Photo Gallery and Google Picasso 3 that actually do work.  The hope of visual search simply isn't enough to overcome "don't work". I'll keep using PSE10 - I like it -- but I'll skip this poor excuse for an organizer.  Maybe down the road when the Adobe folks figure out how to make an application like this work I'll give it another shot. Adios my friend, good luck, and thanks for the help I was offered and given.

Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Re: Elements 10 organizer crashing

To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at Re: Elements 10 organizer crashing. In the Actions box on the right, click the Stop Email Notifications link.

Start a new discussion in Photoshop Elements by email or at Adobe Forums

For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to http://forums.adobe.com/message/2936746#2936746.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 3, 2012 12:40 PM   in reply to teamflavin

I was able to get to the Catalog Manager and create a new catalog.  Unchecked all the Auto-analysis buttons--except the 2 on the bottom "Run Analyzer on System Startup" and "Run Analyzer Only When System is Idle"--those 2 seem to have the check boxes locked and unchecking is not an option.  In any event, the analyzer does not seem to be running when I restart.

Switched to my old catalog---and same stopped working message within seconds, while generating thumbnails.  I can switch to catalogs of other users and they open OK..I Have used the repair catalog option--it says no errors found.  I repair anyway...same result.

Also tried deleting the .prf and .dat files referred to in one of the posts above--no difference.

Tried everything short of switching to iPhoto on a Mac---that may be next.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2012 5:17 PM   in reply to teamflavin

This is definitely an issue relating to just my catalog. I can open catalogs of other users without any problem. When I create a new catalog, it will accept imported files that had been in my old catalog, but at some point, it inevitably crashes with the same error message. I would have thought it was a recent file that must be creating the problem since it worked Ok up until a couple of months ago, but I was able to import 3 years of images starting with the most recent before the crash was reproduced.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 5:58 PM   in reply to teamflavin

I'm with you on switching to another product.  I'm having the exact issue with version 10.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 6:10 PM   in reply to agraichen

I use it sparinly now. The orginizer sucks and I have'nt seen Adobe even attempting to fix all the problems with it, were as I can use iPhoto and Picasa as well as Aperture on a Mac with no problem, but what can you expect from a company that has followed in Microsofts footsteps and produces really buggy software.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 7:15 PM   in reply to higherterrain

First time user of a forum.

Just adding my frustration with Elements 10 Organizer. 30 plus minutes a about 4  weeks ago with 2 or 3 suport people but no help. My issue was inabiltiy to transport my catalog from elements 9. Perhaps if more of us "pile on", Abode will make fix which non- techies (me) can use.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 23, 2012 7:18 PM   in reply to John C1

Nope. I unistalled everything from Veresion 9 and started from scratch and the Organizer crashed repeataly in Version 10 to the point where I gave up of the piece of crap.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 26, 2012 7:59 AM   in reply to higherterrain

Totally understand, have used elements since version 5 and have always updated. Version 9 and 10 have been nothing but problems, specific to organizer. I had to completely rebuild catalogue from scratch for 10 because of how corrupt it became when converting 9 to 10 (had to retag 14K photos). It is still buggy and has many problems with changing date/times of pictures (specifically scanning old family photos). Many chats and help sessions to no avail. I WILL NOT upgrade again until I KNOW all these bugs are fixed and eveyone is happy in chat rooms. If you do a web search using elements organizer as search parameter you will find many bugs with no fixes, It appears in my humble opnion that when then merged with windows OS system for version 9 and 10 the problems started and they haven't figured out how to fix so until they do no more money from me!!!!!!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2012 9:18 PM   in reply to sljoseph504

so disapointed.. finally decided to upgrade from elements 4 to 10 and this... I cant get in to my organiser to even try to disable any of the above.. does anyone know if it is possible (or worth it) to install the organiser from 4 & keep with 10 for elements & premiere then?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 30, 2012 9:46 PM   in reply to NNEEIIGGHH!!

I've given up.  I've contacted people inside of Adobe and have no reponse.  I vote for a boycott of the product.

Al Graichen

agraichen@sbcglobal.net

|
    Mark as:
    May 2, 2012 8:43 AM   in reply to teamflavin

I threw ram at it. (12G) I got an update just now. I am uninstalling the inspration browser and installing the new one because it asked me too. We'll see whats different.

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 26, 2012 12:21 PM   in reply to teamflavin

I have the same problem with constant crashes.  To be honest, I don't particularly think I should have to fix this or re-install that.  Elements is a costly programme, and it should work.  I for one will not be buying anything else by adobe

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 2, 2012 7:29 PM   in reply to teamflavin

Had the same problem.  I noticed the online backup was running in the backround.  Paused it and that took care of the problem.  I had just imported a large folder and it was trying to back it up or something eventhough I had already hit the 2G limit.  Anyway, it's working smoothly now and when I'm finished organizing, I'll restart the backup.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 2, 2012 9:00 PM   in reply to markb3719

Thanks however I do not use online backup.  I can recreate the crash anytime just by starting the program.

Sent from my iPad

Al

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2012 12:15 PM   in reply to agraichen

My problem was ultimately solved, with the help of the Adobe tech support, by manually deleting all the Organizer-related indexes and thumbnails. It seems that one or more of these were corrupted. Once fresh indexes were made, the problem went away.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2012 2:20 PM   in reply to hr_sf

If Tech Support is so good about fixing problems why don't they ever come in here and tell us how to fix the problems?  This is an Adobe site.  If all we need to do is delete some files so they can regenerate, I would do it.  I do not want to make the problem worse than it already is though.  I am hoping that the next upgrade has the Organizer fixed.  I will not upgrade until those before me tell me it is fixed this time around.  Twice Bitten!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2012 3:05 PM   in reply to hr_sf

Can you share with us what files to delete?   I have Elements 9 on a Windows 7 64 bit machine that's relatively new.  8GB Ram, plenty of drive space.  The program worked fine for a year and all of the sudden the Organizer

quit.  I can't get beyond the welcome screen.  Editor opens fine.  Tried some of the solutions mentioned but they didn't work.  Couldn't find the psa.prf or status.dat files to delete.  Ctrl +shift+alt and hitting the organizer button

didn't work.  I am upset about  paying $39 for tech support when they will probably tell me to upgrade.  That doesn't look like such a great idea anyway.

Any suggestions out there?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2012 3:21 PM   in reply to Bella2s

I'd be interested in more detail on how to delete the files causing the crash as an upgrade from 9 to 10 will do nothing; I tried that solution first and got the same result for my $$$.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2012 3:53 PM   in reply to agraichen

I'm downloading a trial version of 10; if it doesn't work, I plan to ask Adobe sales if they can't fix this, why should I buy it?  They may not care, of course.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2012 4:01 PM   in reply to Bella2s

I'm having the exact problem with 10.  I am suspect based on comments that my files became corrupt when upgrading from 7 to 9 and didn't get fixed when I foolishly upgraded to 10 on my laptop.

Al Graichen

agraichen@sbcglobal.net

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 4, 2012 6:24 PM   in reply to Bella2s

I'm sorry, but because I was not sure that it was going to work, I did not take good notes when the tech remotely deleted the files. But I just tested the process below, and it seems to work, BUT I cannot guarantee it to be free of unwanted effects.

Caveat emptor!

Make sure Photoshop and/or Organizer are not running.

In the folder

C:\Users\“YOUR USER NAME”\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Elements Organizer\Catalogs

rename the “My Catalog” folder to something like “My Catalog.old”. This assumes that you did not create a custom catalog with a name different than the default. If the system does not allow you rename the folder, then reboot in Safe Mode and rename.

When you next start Organizer, it will give you an error that it cannot find the catalog. It will give you the option to create a new catalog with whatever name you want. Then you will have to reimport your images, and reinitialize the indexing for face recognition if you want that feature. But beware that if you have many images this will take quite some time.

Hope that is helpful.

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (2)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points