Skip navigation
philgraydesign
Currently Being Moderated

using fill, stroke and layers and separating them by colours/colors...

Feb 22, 2012 9:50 PM

Tags: #illustrator #color #colour #fill #separate #layers #stroke #send_to_current_layer

Hi,

I am new to illustrator, let's say i have drawn a square, it has a fill colour of yellow and a stroke colour of black and they're on the draft layer.  And i have three layers, one titled draft, one titled yellow and the other titled black.  So i click on the black stroke only, and i make sure that the black layer is current and i select Object > Arrange > Send to current layer.  But both the black stroke and the yellow fill have come to the current layer.  I start over, i select the yellow fill, i make sure the yellow layer is current and i select Object > Arrange > Send to current layer.  And both of them move to the current layer.

What should i be doing?

In reality i have a drawing with four colours, i have four layers each named after a colour and i'm trying to separate everything into its own colour layer.

So is there an extra step i am missing?  Are fills and strokes considered connected in some way and do i need to execute an extra step first to separate them?

Thank you for your help.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 23, 2012 12:53 AM   in reply to philgraydesign

Hmmm. Read the handbook :-)

You said it yourself; the object has both fill and stroke. So you cannot have clicked on "the black stroke only". You selected the whole object.

Of course you can copy the object to another layer but then you will have to delete the fill of you only want the stroke.

Do not try to separate colours onto layers. Illustrator doesn't work like that. Doing so just makes a mess of the object stacking order and sooner or later you will get into deep spaghetti if you try to work that way.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2012 1:32 AM   in reply to philgraydesign

The stroke and fill of the square are two appearance attributes of one path. Clicking on the stroke or the fill selects the path, not the separate attributes. In order to separate the attributes you must create a new path with only one of those attributes; for example, copy the square, paste in front, remove yellow fill, move to "black" layer. Paste in front again, remove black stroke, move to "yellow" layer. You now have three identical paths, but with different appearance attributes: one path with a stroke, one path with a fill, and the original path with both stroke and fill.

Peter

edit: Hi, Steve, fancy meeting you here. And you're right about the spaghetti.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2012 3:48 AM   in reply to philgraydesign

Phil,

I thought separating into colour layers would help a printing company, is that not the case?

Not really, unless they have separate C, M, Y, K, Spot, etc, departments.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2012 12:33 PM   in reply to philgraydesign

Give me a handbook and i'll read it

In these cheapskate days the handbook is called Illustrator Help.

How much easier it was in the old days when you could have the handbook as bedside reading and wake up all refreshed and knowing how to do things :-)

But of course if you have plenty of ink in your printer you can print out the Help files and then you've got plenty of bedside reading.

edit: Hi Pete. Yep, we must stop bumping into each other like this. We'll make the others jealous.

And regarding the spaghetti I could have stuck a feather in my hat and called it macaroni (which is that other foreign food that I don't much like either) but I didn't want to offend you guys on the other side of the ditch.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points