Skip navigation
Stephen.Lead
Currently Being Moderated

Import from CF card DELETED ALL OF MY PHOTOS

Feb 21, 2012 12:20 AM

I'm an experienced LR 3 user, using a Canon 5D Mark ii in RAW format on a new MacBook Pro.

Today I imported a bunch of photos from a Sandisk Extreme 8Gb CF disk using an external card reader, using the Copy As DNG method.

When the photos were imported they were all corrupt, so I went back to the CF card (in both the computer and camera). All of the photos had been erased. No warning was shown.

I'm not sure whether the problem is due to LR4, the memory card, or the reader, but suffice to say I've never had any problems using this same equipment in LR3 for many years.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 21, 2012 2:08 AM   in reply to Stephen.Lead

Eeish Stephen, that is not fun

Try sandisk rescue pro. as you are using Sandisks, you'll either have a tiny disk ( that wont fit into your laptop) or a serial number for the program and a link to download.

Disk utility.app, that may work for you as you are on a mac like I am

There are many free and paid for apps for mac and PC that allow you to do rescue files from disk.

I've formatted chips in my camera, prior to taking photos off several times, and after saying a few BAD WORDS taken that chip out , shot with another chip and once home I've used sandisk rescue pro and got all the photos back.

Stating the obvious, but dont reshoot using the suspect chip before  trying to rescue, as that would over write of course.

Of course, if they are corrupted,  then you may be using BAD WORDS as well.

I'd do a test with another card, and if that card is fine, repeat the test with the suspect card, and if that card breaks, use it as a coaster.

I hope that works for you.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 23, 2012 6:25 AM   in reply to Stephen.Lead

Stephen.Lead wrote:

Thanks Hamish, I'll give the rescue disk a try.

My concern is that something in LR4 caused the error, given that I've never seen it before. Assuming that Adobe haven't changed the import routines in LR4, it may just have been a coincidence.

Given that the files were all corrupt on input, it could be that the card was failing badly, and eventually failed to the point that it appears empty. Like Hamish says, that card may be coaster material.

Hal

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points