Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Help! Exported PDF from InDesign displays images as negatives

May 4, 2010 11:59 AM

Exporting from CS4 to press quality PDF. My images are being displayed in the PDF as negatives (like a photograph negative). They print as negatives, too. I have tried re-linking and replacing them.

Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 4, 2010 12:04 PM   in reply to drtabor77

I've seen this reported a couple of times, usually when PDFs are viewed using Preview on the Mac. How about some details? What format are the images, too?

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2010 12:13 PM   in reply to drtabor77

Preview can't handle some of the more advnaced features of ID's exported PDF, it seems.

Try viewing in Acrobat or Reader.

|
    Mark as:
    May 4, 2010 2:41 PM   in reply to drtabor77

I noticed that what look like reversed images are often actually images with CMYK data, or a CMYK profile attached. If something that can't read it ignores the profile, you can end up with images that look "reversed" in certain situations. I've never seen that on a PDF before, usually on TIFF, but it might be related.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2012 1:35 AM   in reply to drtabor77

It has been happening to me also.... Exporting from CS5 to PDF: my psd images with drop shadows are being displayed in the PDF as negatives. One will show ok while the others are all black.

I have tried re-linking and replacing them but it keeps happening... Please help!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2012 1:50 AM   in reply to drtabor77

reminds me of old quarkXpress isssues; i think your images are in CMYK and you display in RGB

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2012 6:23 AM   in reply to idpan

Did your read Response # 1?

Any reader other than Acrobat or Adobe Reader is a crapshoot with complex PDF. Preview, it seems, is particularly bad, if that's what you are using.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2012 6:56 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

I think the issue is that many of us have trouble getting Acrobat or Adobe Reader to print correctly in certain situations. There is a very long-running thread on here about it, covering Windows and Mac versions of Acrobat from as far back as CS3 up to the most recent versions, where Acrobat will refuse to print (seemingly at random) PDFs created directly in InDesign, or even from a .ps/Distiller workflow.

The "solution" to that problem on a Mac has been to print from Preview, which works. Combine that with what sounds to me like a profile mismatch issue (RGB/CMYK) and you get a document that you can't print anywhere.

The only real "solution" to this ends up being either re-saving all of your graphics as RGB pre-InDesign, or pushing your finished PDF one page at a time to Photoshop and printing the rasterized pages.

Obviously, depending on what you are doing and what kind of assets and workflow you are dealing with, neither of these solutions is very good.

Say I've got an 80 page booklet full of CMYK images that are sourced from a networked image repository that I only have read access to, and for whatever reason, I've got the dreaded "Document could not be printed" error. No practical solutions exist in that scenario.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2012 7:03 AM   in reply to Ben Frey

Ben, can you post a link to that thread? I've NEVER had a problem printing a PDF from ID if there were not underlying issues in the file itself.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2012 7:13 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2012 7:38 AM   in reply to Ben Frey

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2012 7:45 AM   in reply to Ben Frey

Ben,

Have you re-tried any of those PDFs that failed after updating Reader to the latest version? And have you tried trashingthe Prefs for Reader and/or Acrobat as suggested very early in the thread?

I'm not entirely convinced, too, that your files don't have some other problems (this is not meant to lay the blame on you). Do I recall correctly that you've had an nuber of posts here over the past year or tow looking for help with various issues in ID? I'm not sure if we were able to resolve all of them?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2012 7:58 AM   in reply to Peter Spier

I was more of a "me too" participant in that particular discussion (and this one as well).

I have not had a lot of trouble with the "could not be printed" thing, but it was very frustrating when it happened. Sometimes a reset would help. Sometimes not. Sometimes I would simply take the document to another, identical setup on a coworker's computer, and it would work. Sometimes I would print with Preview. Sometimes a co-worker would come to me with the same exact problem, and the document would print on my machine but not theirs.

I have experience dealing with the CMYK profile "inversion" issue and resolving that kind of thing, but I can see how a combination of these factors could leave someone with no reasonable solutions.

Most of my problems that I've come to the forums about are things that are legitimate ID bugs. Some of them have been verified as bugs by others. I've submitted bug reports to Adobe for them. Some of them have been present since at least CS2, and are still present in CS5.5, despite being very, very easy to reproduce.

Most of my posts here are probably dealing with Frame Edge Highlighting in CS5, which was "fixed" by purchasing CS5.5.

That combined with Adobe's new upgrade policy has me permanently parked at CS5.5 until a replacement for the creative suite becomes practical for my needs. I will not purchase another adobe upgrade as long as I am the one footing the bill. There are too many developers out there who listen to customers and try to meet their needs. I remember when Adobe was one of those. When they wanted to beat the Quark monopoly, and they would actually innovate and listen to their customers.

This is in danger of turning into a rant, and I'm not really interested in doing that, so I'll just say in closing that for years I was a huge advocate for Adobe and InDesign specifically within my own spheres of influence. Since the release of CS5 and CS5.5, I haven't felt the need to make any more recommendations. I've been toying with other design solutions, and I'll be the first to admit that there aren't any viable replacements for ID yet. Photoshop and Illustrator have legitimate upstart competition now. InDesign doesn't. When it does, I'm probably done.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points