Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Why is Illustrator so slow when closing documents?

Feb 21, 2012 6:02 AM

I am running Illustrator 15.1.0 on Windows 7 64bit Ultimate

2.2 ghz processor << probably the weakest part of the system, but all other apps run fine still

8gb RAM

Nvidia 260gtx 800mb

Separate scratch disk (although this shouldn't be an issue when opening a single 1mb file with 8gb RAM)

Running Extensis Suitcase with the AI autoactivation plugin turned off.

Opening and especially closing even the simplest of documents in Illustrator is painfully slow. Closing a basic 1mb logo file without any fonts in it, for example, is taking 2-3 minutes or more. The machine just hangs, the program says it's not responding, so I wait. If I have a lot of documents open, it's faster to close and relaunch the entire app than it is to close each document individually. Quitting and restarting only takes a few seconds in comparison.

Yes, I already tried throwing out my AIPREFs. No, it didn't help and Illustrator is almost unusable in it's current state.

Any ideas as to why this is happening and what can be done to improve the problem? This is terribly frustrating.

Thanks in advance.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 23, 2012 8:52 AM   in reply to Brad S.

Are you working over a network?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2012 9:56 AM   in reply to Brad S.

On the mac there is a cache file you can delete called com.adobe.mediabrowser.plist. The PC location is usually similar to the mac location so try looking this type of path ~/Library/Preferences/com.adobe.mediabrowser.plist

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2012 1:43 PM   in reply to Brad S.

As for this particular or a similar scenario: There may be tens of thousands of error sources. Without having access to your machine it's rather impossible to provide any conclusive answer.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2012 9:48 AM   in reply to Brad S.

I can't offer any help answering what's wrong but I can say that I share the same problem, though not as bad. LIke you my system is otherwise working fine and all other Adobe applications work without incident. Howerver, when I close an Illustrator doc it takes 10-30 seconds from click to close. Previous versions of AI didn't have this issue. I'm running AI v15.1.0 / Win7 64bit 8gb RAM

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 19, 2012 11:39 AM   in reply to go2qdesign

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers