Skip navigation
HW303
Currently Being Moderated

Preserve coloring in newspaper

Feb 23, 2012 12:59 PM

How can I preserve color from an illustrator file saved as pdf and sent to newspaper for print?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 30, 2012 6:33 AM   in reply to HW303

Not enough data to answer. Specify, please.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 1:06 AM   in reply to HW303

Click the "Select" menu and choose all. Open the "Type" menu and click "Create Outlines." Then open the "Effects" menu, select "Document Raster Effects Settings." You will have to choose the resolution and an output mode. For printing, select "CMYK" as the color model and a 300 ppi resolution.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 23, 2012 1:25 AM   in reply to printisnotdead

Mh... I beg to disagree:

- Creating outlines is usually a bad idea, specially if you have tiny text and/or a big quantity of it. Embed fonts.

- 300 ppi for a newspaper sounds like overkill. 100-150 ppi is usually more than enough.

- CMYK... which one? A bad election will end in a PDF with way too much ink.

If you need to shoot a blind shot because of having no data, a PDF/X-1a:2003 with a standard profile like IFRA's ISOnewspaper26v4 (as described in http://www.medibelplus.be/pdf/newspaper/Photoshop_INP26v4_en.pdf) should be in the safe side. And it's dead easy to do.

A good resorce on choosing the right ICC profile to make a print-ready PDF is http://www.gwg.org/download.php?f=d6be762f2b5d729c65b15b9edd8b718a by the Ghent PDF Workgroup.

Anyway, I guess the original poster must have printed whatever needed

Best regards

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2012 5:26 AM   in reply to HW303

First, you need to consider the color gamut. Bear in mind that the colors of light is different with color pigments. What you can therefore do is to calibrate your monitor.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points