Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Importing multiple Camera RAW files?

Feb 23, 2012 11:04 AM

Hi,

This is my first post. I've been trying to import multiple Camera RAW files into After Effects but before each image loads into the project, After Effects forces you to click thru the Camera Raw setting window for each image.

Is there a way to disable this Camera RAW window from popping after each image to prevent the tedious task of clicking thru each window manually?

Thanks,

David

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 23, 2012 12:22 PM   in reply to d-lim

My normal path is to convert the raw images to a sequence using a more conventional codec or, better yet, converting the image sequence to a movie.

Any particular reason you think you shoudl be handling the raw images in After Effects?

Most of the folks who attempt to process raw inside After Effecs are usually following bad advice or they are have mistaken AE's function for a video editor or an image editor. It is really neither.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2012 1:09 PM   in reply to d-lim

Is there any reason why you need RAW files?  The probable answer is, "Because that's how I shot them."

No matter.  You won't lose any resolution in AE.  You just need to learn about importing Image Sequences

Read it carefully: Adobe tends NOT to put in its documentation admonitions like, "This section is really important!  You need to know this!"  They treat all the information with equal importance as good software engineers do.  Thus, it's a very dry read.  Drink your coffee.

Furthermore, you need to learns the specifics pertaining to RAW Image Sequences.  The same warning applies.

Once you're up to speed and the sequence is in AE, know that you can play with the sequence's frame rate in the Interpret Footage settings.  You can look it up in AE's online help and using the search term Interpret Footage.  AE defaults to interpreting image sequences as 30 fps.

If you did something silly and unnecessary like shooting on 2's, you'll have to take that into account.  Or get rid of half the images in the folder where your images reside prior to importing it into AE as an image sequence.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2012 2:16 PM   in reply to d-lim

d-lim wrote:

I guess I'm looking for advice on how you or others would approach working with mulitple RAW files and having the maximum resolution to work with within AE. Would you create this sequence outside of AE with a NLE then import a giant resolution movie file into AE or would you work directly in AE, and if the latter how do you bypass that pesky Camera RAW window...

I think you're laboring under the misconception that the term "RAW" also means "has more resolution".  It doesn't.  JPEGs have the same amount of pixels in 'em as RAW.  RAW gives you far greater control over your images, however.

And PLEASE re-read that second link on how to deal with RAW image sequences, okay?

I'm still not convinced you're importing image sequences.  An image sequence comes in as a SINGLE PIECE OF FOOTAGE, and not multiple image files.  If you got your stop-motion shots out of sequence, that's problem, and you could be stuck importing multiple images unless you're VEEEEWY CAWEFUW about segregating those shot sequences into individual folders.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2012 2:38 PM   in reply to d-lim

Import multiple files is used when you want to import different pieces of footage, and keep importing until you're all done.  In this case your goal is to import ONE piece of footage -- an image sequence -- so just use the Import Footage command, highlight the first file, and at the bottom you'll find a "as image sequence" check box.  If the numbers at the end of the file names aren't in perfect sequential order, there may be an additional "ignore non-sequential filenames" or something like that.

If the shots look good, and you don't have to futz with the exposure or tweak colors, by all means save them as JPEGs.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2012 2:41 PM   in reply to d-lim

Yes, that is how it's supposed to work. AE has no way of knowing you want to apply the same settings to every image because that would make the whole raw image importing capability a waste of functions. AE assumes you want to import raw images because you want to tweak every one. I would assume that, too. A conventional DSLR image is about 3Kx4K pixels these days, 12 million pixels. Full 1080 HD is aonly only about 2 million. You're overresolving your production format by a factor of 6. You will start to feel that as you apply filters and moves. I only use full rez raw images in the scenes where I know I need the magnification. Otherwise, I'm downconverting to jpg or tiff images that are, say, 1500x2000 pixels for the regular sequences.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2012 3:31 PM   in reply to d-lim

Do you have any experience with timelapse? There are dedicated Photoshop scripts for processing raw files to stabilize exposure variations and color correct. BAsically, the user establishes a base image and the script tweaks all of the raws that have the same content. Timescapes.org is one online resource. Lots of the pwoer users there have created and will share or at least point you to scripts for AE that help smooth out the raw conundrums.

luck.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points