Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Cropping - Why can't I get rid of the grey border?

Feb 22, 2012 12:43 PM

Hi,

I am working thro Scott Kelby's book on Elements 10.  In Chapter 3 on cropping, his images fit neatly inside the ruler margins.  Mine are surrounded by a big grey border.  What am I doing wrong please?  Any help appreciated.  Thanks.

Also I am not clear about what he means when he says ' while dragging, you can press and hold the space bar to adjust the positions of the border'.  I use a trackpad with an iMac, it's quite fiddly to hold down the space bat and click and drag the cropped area.  Anyway, nothing different seems to happen when I do. 

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 22, 2012 2:21 PM   in reply to AWaight

Hi,

Check your editor preferences: Edit -> Preferences -> General

Make sure Allow Floating Documents in Full Edit Mode is checked

In the editor, go to Windows -> Images and select Float in Window

That should get rid of the grey border,

If you watch the cursor, when you hold the space bar down, the cursor should change to a hand. If the image is larger than the screen, using the space bar enables you to move the image around to see the parts outside of the window - works with many tools. This is useful when zoomed in for editing and you want to move slightly.

Hope that all makes sense.

Brian

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 23, 2012 3:50 PM   in reply to AWaight

Hi Alison,

I hope you get to enjoy using Photoshop Elements - if you do ever get stuck then this is the place to come. There are many experts around who will surely be able to help you.

I don't have a trackerball but have a look at the controls for it, sometimes there is a way to do a click and hold so that you don't have to hold the button down while moving the trackerball.

Good luck

Brian

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points