Skip navigation
newtothis55
Currently Being Moderated

Saving Pictures

Feb 23, 2012 12:19 PM

Tags: #file #photoshop #help #images #photoshop_elements_10

I just got this software, and I'm having trouble figuring it out.  When I edit a photo using only simple things like color adjustment or the spot healing brush, etc.

I can save a picture no problem and finish editing it in another program that I am more comfortable with.  But for example, if I edit the depth of field using the guided edit option, and try to save it, it saves as a file I can only open with the Photoshop program.  I cant even preview the image without opening Photoshop.

How can I save the image where it can be previewed, editing with another program, and then used elsewhere such as the internet?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 23, 2012 12:46 PM   in reply to newtothis55

Are you saving the files as .PSD? Those will not generate thumbnails that can be viewed in your operating system and cannot be opened in most non-Adobe software programs.

You want to save the files as .TIF or .JPG to allow other programs to use them.

You might also want to consider doing as much editing as possible in the Photoshop Elements Editor (yes, I see where you said you are more comfortable in another editor), which in the long run could save you the work of shifting photos from one piece of software to another.

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Feb 23, 2012 1:05 PM   in reply to newtothis55

Some of those guided edits create aurtomatic layers.

Before saving click the top menu Layer --> Flatten Image

Then use Save As

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2012 3:47 PM   in reply to 99jon

Hi Jon,

Why flatten the image?  Saving as PNG or JPG will, by definition, flatten the image....

Ken

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Feb 23, 2012 3:57 PM   in reply to photodrawken

It makes a smaller file compared with PSD or tiff if retention of layers is not necessary. I only keep layered documents if I know there is a chance I may wish to go back and adjust a layer or add more layers.

It’s also a good habit after finalizing your edits if you want to add a stroke or a border etc. and then save as jpeg or png.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2012 4:03 PM   in reply to 99jon

99jon wrote:

I only keep layered documents if I know there is a chance I may wish to go back and adjust a layer or add more layers.

Yep, same here.  I've really come to like the Save for Web dialog -- it allows me to save the image as a PNG without altering a single thing in the layered image.

99jon wrote:

It’s also a good habit after finalizing your edits if you want to add a stroke or a border etc. and then save as jpeg or png.

Instead of doing that, as long as I need a layered image, I use the "Stamp Visible" (Ctrl+Alt+Shift+E) to create a single layer from the visible ones for further processing such as strokes or levels adjustments, etc.

Ken

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points