Skip navigation
sherylssr
Currently Being Moderated

Starting over in Organizer 10?

Feb 23, 2012 3:36 PM

I don't know why but the PSE 10's Organizer is difficult to handle for me. I'm thinking of deleting what I've imported and start over again. Since the program just created links to the original files, then that's OK to do, right?

Replies
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 23, 2012 3:49 PM   in reply to sherylssr

Yes. Select all and delete. Make sure you don't check the box - delete from disk also.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 23, 2012 3:50 PM   in reply to sherylssr

Yes, you've got it exactly right -- as long as you don't tell Organizer to also delete the photos from disk, the photos will still be there.

Rather than deleting items from the catalog, simply create a new catalog and you can start over.

Ken

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2012 4:11 PM   in reply to sherylssr

i must be really stupid...lol   im trying to make a cutout and i can get it outlined but i cant save the picture i cutout.  please help

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2012 4:19 PM   in reply to sherylssr

You're not confused, you've got it right.

Organizer is a database program.  The database (catalog) is a set of about two dozen tables (think of them like Excel spreadsheets) that hold information about where the actual photos are stored on your computer, tags you've defined, albums you've set up, etc.

The operative word is "information" -- you can't do anything like assigning tags, creating albums, etc., until the information about the photos is in the catalog.  That's why you first "import" the photo information into the catalog and then go about tagging and so on.

That's a lot different from a file browser like Windows Explorer, which lets you jump around the folders on your hard drive to see what's in 'em.  A database program like Organizer requires more effort on your part to import photo information and assign tags and create albums, but the effort is worth it because you can slice and dice the data to find photos like "cousin Bill at a picnic" no matter where the photos are actually stored on your hard drive.

Hope I didn't confuse you .

Ken

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2012 4:43 PM   in reply to sherylssr

sherylssr wrote:

So every time you import photos into Organizer, they ALL go into the Catalog, THEN you create albums. Right?

You import all your photos into the Catalog, and then you add tags, captions and notes. Tags will be your primary search tool. 

Albums are optional, and are used if you want to share your photos on photoshop.com, or if you need to make a creation (slideshow, photobook, etc.)

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2012 5:56 PM   in reply to sherylssr

Glad to help, Sheryl.

I just have one more thought:  never forget that you don't have to use Organizer -- once you've tested it, if it's not making your life easier, simply use Windows Explorer to browse your folders to find your photos.

Ken

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2012 6:52 PM   in reply to sherylssr

sherylssr wrote:

Actually, I'm a long-time Mac gal.

Oh, the horror!

Ken

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2012 7:10 PM   in reply to sherylssr

At this point, there's not a lot to be gained by switching to the mac organizer. It's still pretty much a 1.0 effort (even though this is the second mac version with organizer). If you're comfortable with iphoto, I'd just set PSE as your external editor for iphoto.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points