Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Editing Camtasia/Camstudio/FRAPS Footage? Some Tips

Jun 2, 2012 10:46 AM

Tags: #premiere #camtasia #fraps #camstudio

In an article on the PrPro forum, Dan Isaacs offered some tips on workflow for editing Camtasia, or Camstudio footage. Some of the steps involve using other programs, both freeware and from Adobe, but might be of use, should one need to do the work on the Techsmith CODEC footage in Premiere.

LINK to article.

Hunt

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 18, 2009 8:13 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

I would like to import Camtasia 3 video files into Premier Pro CS4 for editing.  Two questions:  1) what is the best file format to export from Camtasia for editing in CS4, and 2) what codec should be used in creating files for export from Camtasia for best results in editing with PPCS4?  I tried exporting the files as .swf's (swf object) and that format was not recognized by CS4 when I tried to import.  After editing, I will be posting the files on the web as demo/instructional videos.

I'm not sure the platform/computer specs come into play much related to this question, here they are just in case:

Windows Vista OS:

Intel core i 7 processor (64 bit)

3.06 GHz processor

8MB Level 2 Cache

9GB DDR3-1066 SDRAM

1 TB SATA Hard Drive

Labelflash SuperMulti Double Layer 18x DVD+- RW Drive

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 285 video card

High Definition Audio Chipset

7.1 Channel Surround Sound

10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet Network

Expansion bays:  2 (1 free) External 5.25" bays; 2 (2 free) External 3.5" bays;   2 (1 free) Internal 3.5" bays

Expansion slots:  2 (1 free) PCI Express x16 Graphic Interface slot; 1 (0 free) PCI Express x1 Interface slot; 1 (1 free) PCI Express x4 interface slot

Thanks.

cello-bella

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2009 12:15 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Yes, very helpful. Great suggestion, thanks!  But I didn’t know how to search for that link you gave me (for example:  /thread/508808?tstart=0).  I put it into the search box on the forum, and it said "nothing found".  What did I do wrong?

AD

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 19, 2009 12:47 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Ahhh.  Ok.

Thx.

AD

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 10, 2009 10:45 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

I've tried everyone's advice. I have a camtasia uncompressed avi at 1024 x 768. I want premiere to output that after some basic edits using the premiere's export command.  I'd like premiere to export a wmv file, avi, mov.

The problem is that it is always distorted.

I've tried all types of settings. I've played with matching on framerate, resolution, square pixels, .9 pixels. I've tried custom settings to export at 1024x768.

You name it. I've tried different codecs. Nothing works. It is always comes out distorted.

I've tried lagarith lossless codec. The output from camtasia always looks clear, whether it is an avi, wmv, or mov. But as soon as I export from Premiere it looks terrible.

If someone could just tell me that Premiere cannot do it, then I would be fine. I'd stop trying. I'm beginning to think it is not possible to export screencasts in premier at original resolution.

If it is possible, then I would appreciate a step by step guide. I'll even pay for it. I think what I'm trying to do is so simple, but eludes me.

I would so much appreciate some guidance. I am a student who spent a lot of money for Premiere and now it isn't doing what I thought it could.

Thanks in advance.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 11, 2009 3:32 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Yes, Jeff helped and it was on the pr forum.  We had a few emails back and forth, but as I recall he had not captured video as it played on a web site. 

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 11, 2009 4:41 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Yes, I think PIP is probably the way to go when you want to show moving video on a web site.  I captured the site before I really knew how to use Camtasia, and I noticed later that the default rate was 6fps, so the video (in a box) looks very jerky, but the rest of the screen looks fine. I haven't tried capturing anything at 30fps, but I was going to do that next.  However, putting the video in separately is probably best because a 30fps capture probably takes a long time and results in a very big file that then has to be downsized later.

Cello-bella

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 14, 2010 1:40 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Unfortunately, apparently Techsmith doesn't have a 64 bit codec...

At this point, I'm editing PPro CS5 tutorials in CS4...  as weird as that sounds.

I believe that Adobe includes a CS4 installer with PPro CS5 don't they?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2011 9:19 AM   in reply to saragayer

Long shot here....did you ever get this resolved?  I'm having the same issue!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)