Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Replace With After Effects Composition... What's the Point...???

Feb 24, 2012 5:40 AM

Hi...

So I have a timeline that I want to CC in AE....

I select all the clips and choose "Replace with After Effects Compostion"

PPRO correctly initiates an AE launch which then correctly makes a Composition with all my clips in it...

Now, ALL the clips, while there in the AE Comp, DONT have the clip names I gave them in the Timeline in PPRO.

They have the original clips names. Like MVI_9987.MOV which is totally misleading....

Why on earth would PPRO NOT adopt the names of the clips in the timeline to the after effects compostion ??

This is my major gripe with Adobe, you have so many GREAT and VERY Innovative but totally NON-Thought-Thru' features. It is killing me.

This here among so manu other things is what makes your CS Suite (Aside from Photoshop) a Pro-Sumer Solution....

A professional solution is NOT regarded professional because it has fancy features, it is regarded as such because the features it HAS have been WELL contemplated and integrated.

I hope your CS6 version is going to take care of all those small problems...

But then again, been having those hopes since CS4

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 24, 2012 9:20 AM   in reply to AtonMusic

I've been reading your various threads which bring up a lot of good points - all tinged with some frustration.  I agree with everything you have griped about.  My experience coming from FCP is that PPro has some awesome features, some other features that are *almost awesome and sometimes baffling (like the one you mention in this thread) and a lot that are just frustrating and poorly implemented. (Not to mention the crashing and bugs)   I also have a lot of hopes pinned onto CS6 that these will get worked out.  There are plenty of defenders when these things are brought up - sometimes the unhelpful solutions mentioned are to move to a PC - but there are some that I think everyone can agree need some updating (Cache issues, autosave dialog box, unending need for track selecting, AVCHD performance on mac, tweaking of dynamic linking, better monitoring solutions/integration with AJA, Blackmagic, etc.) 

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2012 10:24 AM   in reply to AtonMusic

I don't have AE or PP in front of me right now, but I'm almost sure that custom names will go over from PP to AE if you rename them in the bin (not on the timeline)

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2012 10:37 AM   in reply to I.R

I just opened both and repeated that.

My clips are all renamed in the bin, and I can confirm that on a PC (WIndows 7 64-bit) it works as advertised - the clip name is preserved. I have not tried to rename the clips in the timeline; that's a concept which wouldn't really work for me anyway.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2012 10:56 AM   in reply to AtonMusic

Professional editors usually watch their footage before performing any edits and, while doing that, they are creating SUBCLIPS.

With subclips in timeline and AE>Import PP project, you will have your names in AE

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2012 12:06 PM   in reply to AtonMusic

AM, I was just trying to give you solution, and honestly I'm not sure that watching footage in the timeline is so much faster than using Source monitor.

I don't think there is old and new way of doing things, and you should use what solves the problem in given situation. I've used similar workflow as the one you diescribed in Avid for years (in MC you can load sequence in source monitor and preserve all tracks, edits, effects, etc., when splicing into new sequence).

I agree that custom clip names should transfer to AE without issues (when option is there already), but I don't think there is other solution than using subclips ATM.

Note that you don't have to create subclips from source monitor, you can do it from the timeline too. That way you can preserve your workflow and still have custom names. Only downside is that you'll have to replace clip with subclip you created, but with "replace with clip from bin" command that's just one clik more.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2012 12:13 PM   in reply to AtonMusic

I have read this thread carefully a number of times to try and understand it as well as possible.

I then tried to comprehend the workflow "others" use  with an open mind and compared it to my own. (Trying to learn something all the time)

The bit I do not understand is why the need to rename the Clips and how that becomes of value in either PPRO or AEFX (or Resolve or elsewhere).

For myself...I deal with the image that I can see in the monitor and I can tell if it is - "Door Open" & "Person Thru' Door" & "Door Closing" or what ever.

@AtonMusic. 

You make the following over dramatic claim about how fast your workflow is ....but to me, that would be slow and imprecise.

You appear to  spend  a lot of  time logging and naming clips and sequences then it seems to me like you are cutting "linear" in a non linear edit world (with a razor tool.)

That must involve a lot of time dragging a mouse and clips around a timeline.  Do you shoot in order of the edit maybe?

Perhaps those who are editing the old and slow way....

It is about 1,000,000,000 times faster to review and cut the source clip ON A TIMELINE than sitting there a double clicking the source and opening it in the source viewer....

I never use the source viewer... Such a workflow is a decade old and NOT viable in my world.

I get paid for what I do so that makes me a professional. If I had to sit and sort my footage the way the Premiere Crew intended me to, I would make a third of the money I make in month because I would NOT be able to do it fast enough.

Can you tell me how you name the clips in the workflow you describe here...?

I make a sequence of ALL scenes (I name the sequence according to the scene (Each Scene contains Shots, sometimes ONE clip has multiple shots))

In the sequence (on the timeline) I chop the clip up in shots and name them...

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2012 12:51 PM   in reply to AtonMusic

AM, I don't think we are on the same page with this, or you are doing something different. Definitely there is no need to drag anything:

- Select clip in the timeline, choose "make subclip" = no time lost, you are using this instead of Rename function

- Type in new name = no time lost, you have to type in new name anyway

- "Replace with clip from bin" (newly created subclip in bin is already automatically selected) = time lost, less than a second

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2012 1:00 PM   in reply to AtonMusic

Maybe I'm missing some part of the DL workflow, but I have always found the naming issue to be sub-optimal.  For a long time, I was frightened to even make name changes to the clips because I heard of people losing the DL connection after quitting, opening multiple comps or AE projects, etc...I thought it was tempermental and best to leave it alone to name it how it would like.  But after roundtripping 50-100 files and ending up with 50-100 clips named "Project Name/Linked Comp xx" it seemed like there had to be a better way.  In the "it just works" mindset, it seems like it should pay attention to any renaming and apply that update in any timeline/bin in all CS applications where that edit or clip resides.  If I rename a clip in the timeline (or bin, which apparently it works here) of PPro, it should have that comp name in the project list in AE when sending it over.  If I rename it there, it should update on the timeline in PPro.  Am I missing something?  How do you guys do a solid workflow of round-tripping while keeping tens or hundreds of clip names organized?  After awhile, just taking a look at the preview image doesn't cut it when you have multiple takes, many clips, etc.   

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2012 1:12 PM   in reply to needles27

AM, please focus :)

There is no need to drag anything, there is no need for right clik, menus.... there is no time lost.

Map "make subclip" and "replace with clip from bin" as shortcuts on your keybord.

key > type > key = Done

There is no way that draging can be faster than hitting two keys.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2012 1:19 PM   in reply to AtonMusic

I think you are tripping up over your own ideal workflow and blaming Adobe for it.

eg

I.R informed you of an easier faster way rename sub clips and that evidently will do what you want. One you had obviously not known about.

eg.

Want an easy way to find a clip in the timeline instead of counting left to right as you suggested to me. Try Displaying the Clip occurences and clicking on the TC. You will go there directly in the timeline. 

You and I discussed CC in AEFX previously and I heard your thinking... but its your choice of ideal work flow to CC/Grade  600 layers in a single comp.

(BTW- from another post of yours...seems you are not as adverse to Resolve as you made out in our previous communication)

I have no knowledge of FCPx's event library let alone any opinion of it...so no idea why its in the conversation!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2012 1:20 PM   in reply to AtonMusic

This thread wont last long due to the personalisation of everything.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2012 1:25 PM   in reply to shooternz

shooternz wrote:

This thread wont last long due to the personalisation of everything.

Bummer - I'd like to hear a description of a good naming workflow while roundtripping PPro - AE - PPro. (while keeping the original file names in the bin)  Is there another less contentious thread out there that discusses this best-practice:) 

Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2012 1:48 PM   in reply to AtonMusic

My workflow with DL is this: turn a clip into a DL project, then immediately hit Undo so the link turns back into the original clip. Then, I rename the composition in AE to match the clip(s) used, and render it out manually. I import back to the timeline and place it overtop the original clips, which I then disable. So I have the original ready to go, and can see what clips the link involves, while still maintaining a project in AE to manipulate. Additionally, I spend no extra computing power rendering the dynamic link project or worry about maintaining a green bar overtop. I think the fact that Premiere doesn't let you "Un-link" a Dynamic Link after the fact is a poor oversight. As soon as you DL anything in your timeline, you can't go back, which goes against everything about the paradigm that editing should be non-destructive.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2012 1:55 PM   in reply to AtonMusic

I understand your workflow but I do not understand how you bring in a personalised attack on those that disagree with you or advise diferently.

So...I bow to your superior knowledge and wisdom (and I am envious of your youth) ...and I admit to being a klutz stuck in an editing time warp ( albeit issue free).

Good luck with fixing this (one of many) issue that you have posted about regarding your own superior warp speed workflow.

I am out.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2012 2:59 PM   in reply to AtonMusic

I AM focused... You arent

How am I supposed to target the destination of the subclip, to the bin of my choice unless I drag,

And even if your workflow was fast, you are missin my whole point... WHY should we even have to 'Replace Clip with Bin Clip' after having dragged/short-cutted it there...

with all due respect, I think you have been working in PPRO too long to see clearly. Like have a pain in the back ignorring it.. In time, you want feel the pain no more.. But you will look like the hunch-back of NotreDame     

AM, you can find a lot of "why" in any application, there is no way to please all people. And yes, my first contact with Premiere (old one) was a long time ago .... 1994 or 1995 (it was bundled with some Miro card if I'm not mistaken). Anyway I've spent much more time with Avid and FCP in my career, so believe me I know very well shortcomings and workarounds for all 3.

I think you missed a point of this forum / thread. You asked for solution, I gave you something that will work fast in your workflow. You can use it or not, but there is no point to whine here why software doesn't work "your way". If you ask me you shouldn't be able to rename clip in the timeline, without renaming it in the bin - but hey, you can't please everyone.

As an editor your job is not only to edit, but to care about pipeline and technical issues too. So when there is a solution, be flexible, use it, move forward.  (test a bit in which bin clips go, you are a clever guy and I'm sure you'll find your way around)

I don't want to continue about PP>AE workflow here, because thread is already bloated, but as Shooternz said - sending whole timeline with hundreds of clips for grading in AE is very optimistic from your side.

Actually grading anything long form in AE is very optimistic.

Actually not splitting into 10-15 minutes reels for grading anywhere.... you know already.

Over and out

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2012 4:20 PM   in reply to AtonMusic

I believe I was making a statement, rather than asking a layman's question !

If you are making a statement...

Turn Off the "Question" Check Box and dont put 3 question masks at the end of your topic header.

BTW - your workflow does not take anytime at all to "wrap ones head around" and for me to work out that I would not personally be doing it that way.

I have no issue with others considering your workflow to best suit their own purposes and style of edit.  (caveat emptor)

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2012 4:40 PM   in reply to AtonMusic

Moved to Lounge.

Some good workflow discussions, and as long as the "personalization" is confined to workflows and behaviors and does *not* spread to an individual's character, this topic can continue. If not, then "Poof!"

-Jeff

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2012 8:36 PM   in reply to AtonMusic

Shooter... ONE question mark is a question...

3 is a statement of confusion. But I take that you already knew that as well....

I did not know that  "3 is a statement of confusion" ....but I did realise you are confused about your work flow.

...and I did learn...

Avoid using more than one question mark unless you're texting or actively seeking to drive your reader up the proverbial wall. While writing "Don't you like popular people?????" seems emphatic, it's incorrect for all but the most informal of writing.

Source: http://www.wikihow.com/Use-Question-Marks-Correctly

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2012 9:03 PM   in reply to shooternz

Craig,

What would two question marks mean?

Guess that I am so old, that some Internet conventions are just over my "pointed little head."

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
  • joe bloe premiere
    4,391 posts
    Dec 6, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 25, 2012 5:44 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

That means: "Where'd my post go??"

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2012 1:23 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

I guess that it means "doubt". Bill

ie. the questioner is questioning his own question. (eg  Why am I asking this question?)

Now that leaves me with a confusing quandary. 

Why did I get involved in this thread?  (a simple question)

or

Why did I get involved in this thread?? ( doubting my own question)

or

Why did I get involved in this thread??? (confused and mystified)

Evidently being confused and mystified  is a good thing and will lead me to improving myself ...so I will go with  that.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points