Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Camera Raw Apparently Not Present On Second Installation Of Elements 10

Feb 2, 2012 5:10 AM

I have installed Elements 10 onto my desktop which works fine. When opening a .NEF file or when opening a JPEG using 'Open As Raw', the Camera Raw interface comes up.

I have also installed Elements 10 onto my netbook. Whilst the prgram itself works fine, the Camera Raw interface doesn't appear to come up when loading .NEF files or opening JPEGS as 'Open As Camera Raw'. I have downloaded and installed the latest Camera Raw from the Adobe website.

Can anyone supply any reasons for this and how I solve the problem?

Many thanks.

Replies
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Feb 2, 2012 5:37 AM   in reply to GeorgeMurlewski

Probably due to short display.

Go to the control panel and check dpi scaling under Appearance or Display.

It’s not uncommon to see a setting of 125% or higher to improve screen readability but PSE requires a dpi of 96 or 100%

Whilst the Editor Menu will appear at 120% to 149% the Organizer Menu (and the advanced button in downloader) won’t. Sometimes the mouse or tool cursors are distorted and the camera raw dialog may not appear.

Try a setting of 115% or 116% otherwise 100%. A common display resolution, notably for notebooks/laptops, and netbooks is 1024 x 768 but PSE requires a screen height of 800 for full functionality. If your height resolution is out of the range 768 to 800 try experimenting with the slider.

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Feb 2, 2012 7:35 AM   in reply to GeorgeMurlewski

Can you open the editor on the netbook and make sure the plug-in is correctly installed. You should see the screen below.

Help à About Plug-in à Camera Raw

Press esc to close

ACR6.6Screen.png

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Feb 2, 2012 8:47 AM   in reply to GeorgeMurlewski

Hmm strange.

The editor saved prefs often get corrupted. You may need to rebuild the editor preferences on the netbook to resolve any conflicts.

Hold down the Ctrl+Shift+Alt keys and simultaneously click on the Edit button on the welcome screen. Release the three keys and look behind the welcome screen by closing it. Or hold down the keys whilst double clicking on PhotoshopElementsEditor.exe

You should see a pop up box with the words: Delete Adobe Photoshop Elements Settings File?

Click on Yes

Then wait whilst Elements rebuilds the preferences.

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Feb 2, 2012 9:19 AM   in reply to GeorgeMurlewski

Try going to the application in Program Files\Adobe

You are not using Ctrl+Alt+Delete?

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Feb 2, 2012 10:02 AM   in reply to GeorgeMurlewski

Have you set the program to open directly with either the Editor or Organizer? If so click on the home button (house symbol near top right) and choose Photoshop Elements welcome Screen. Then try the three keys with one click on the edit button.

Before doing that make sure the program closed down properly by clicking Ctrl+Alt+Delete. Click n the applications tab and highlight any Adobe application and then click the End task button.

Also are you trying to open a file from the Organizer. Have you tried going to a folder and right clicking on a NEF file and choosing open with Photoshop Element Editor?

If non of that works you may need to uninstall and then reinstall.

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 2, 2012 11:29 AM   in reply to GeorgeMurlewski

What version of windows?

With the screen resolution set at 1152 x 864, try setting the theme to windows classic.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2012 2:26 PM   in reply to GeorgeMurlewski

Hi

I also have virtually the same problem as GeorgeMurlewski. The only difference is I am trying to open a Canon CR2 raw file in Elements ACR Editor. Same thing happens...opens straight into Elements...not the Raw Editor.

An identical software installation is working perfectly on one of my desktop PCs. The Raw Editor loads straight up from a CR2 file on the desktop PC. However, it will not work on my netbook.

I have completely uninstalled the netbook installion, cleared out the cache, reset the preferences, performed system housekeeping with CCleaner and then reinstalled everything to no avail...it still won't load the Raw Editor.

The ARC plugin has been updated to latest (V6.6) which fully supports all my camera equipment and I have verified it is correctly installed.

The problem seems to be specific to Elements V10. The Raw Editor loaded up perfectly on the same netbook when it ran Elements V8 and V9.

So, like George, I would greatly appreciate anyone offering a solution to this.

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2012 2:47 PM   in reply to ~Alba~

What is the height of your screen, in pixels? If it's less than 800 you will not see the raw converter window.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2012 2:55 PM   in reply to Barbara B.

Ah....screen resolution is 1024x600ppi. Adobe minimum system requirements say that should be enough though??? I can't do anything about increasing the resolution..that's the max for the netbokk model/graphic driver. This mean I'm stumped then?

Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2012 3:27 PM   in reply to ~Alba~

Unfortunately it's enough to run PSE, but not enough to use all the features. The raw converter and the advanced downloader won't appear at less than 800 px tall.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2012 3:39 PM   in reply to Barbara B.

OK thanks for your help Barbara. Guess I'll need to get a better netbook for mobile editing.

Cheers the noo

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2012 9:01 PM   in reply to GeorgeMurlewski

Hi,

Can you please tell if you are able to open camera raw files in Editor or not?

Did you try uninstall-install? Also, are you able to view all camera raw files except NEFs or is it the same for all camera raw formats?

Thanks

andaleeb

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points