Skip navigation
Oli_Wales
Currently Being Moderated

glyphs for text threading

Feb 24, 2012 8:22 AM

Tags: #layout #glyphs #text_threading

Hi,

Might be a stupid question but I'm looking to find an automatic way of inserting glyphs / symbols to indicate when text flows onto another page and for when text has ended!

Any ideas welcomed!!

Many thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 24, 2012 8:29 AM   in reply to Oli_Wales

Text threading is already indicated in the layout view with little symbols in the in and out ports of the frames, and you can show the connecting lines if you like. The end of a story is indicated by the non-printing # character that is visible when you show non-printing characters. There is no marker for threading inside the text, but the various breaks also have non-printing characters that can be revealed.

What is it that you want to do that requires this?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2012 2:09 PM   in reply to Oli_Wales

I've seen the end of story dingbat called a "bug" in a few places. You add that as the last character yourself.

Likewise, you can add another frame with your arrow glyph, add some text wrap, and put it above the lower corner of the text frame. Save one as a snippet or in a library if you want to use it a lot.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2012 2:47 PM   in reply to Oli_Wales

afaik, special symbols / glyphs inserted at the end of story are called "dingbats", at least InDesign Bible uses that...

About technique of inserting such characters, I guess, this article of David Blatner might be interesting for you:

http://indesignsecrets.com/insert-a-special-character-with-grep-styles .php

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2012 2:48 PM   in reply to winterm

Dingbat is a general term for a pictorial glyph, and is not reserved for the end of a story. I'm not sure there is any consensus on a term for one in that position, but as I said, "bug" is commonly used among printers I know.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2012 2:50 PM   in reply to winterm

Jive has been screwing up links this week. try this: http://indesignsecrets.com/insert-a-special-character-with-grep-styles .php

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2012 2:58 PM   in reply to Peter Spier

oh, sorry, just re-checked and it seems, I misread it. Yes, its just for symbols, that's ok.

however, article is rather interesting on topic, I just can't get rid of space before dotphp, and link is not working for me...

however, simple copy-paste helps...

@Peter:

huh, yours is working...

well, that's what they call 'touch of a genius'

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2012 4:05 PM   in reply to winterm

I blame Jive, not anything you did.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2012 5:03 AM   in reply to Oli_Wales

You could consider putting the glyph on your master page. if it's on the same layer as the text, it would behind it rather than in front but text wrap would still work, though overriding it would be a bit of a hassle for changing or deleting it. Adding another layer above the regualr text, as you might need to do with a page number marker that needs to appear in front of a background image, is another possibility and would keep it accessible.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points