Skip navigation
messycupcakess
Currently Being Moderated

Develop module & library module aren't matching

Feb 23, 2012 6:37 PM

Tags: #library #develop #noisereduction #lightroom3.6 #developmodule #librarymodule

When I am editing, my photos look how I want them to in the develop module, but when I switch over to the library they look different. Some photos it doesn't apply the clarity, highlights, noise reduction, or sharpening. I haven't had this problem up until a month or two ago. It used to be the same between the two modules and I no problems editing. Now it's a pain to edit because I have to switch to the Library to see what the image is really looking like, go back to develop to try and change it, but cant end up getting it to look how I want. Images look the same zoomed in, but not in normal view. I am on Windows, Lightroom 3.6. I have tried reupdating the software, downloading an older version. also updated my video driver, and nothing helped. trying to avoid reinstalling all of lightroom because I do not want to lose any previewly modified images.

dev.JPGlib.JPG

first one is the view from develop. you can tell its a lot more noisey.

second picture is from the library. it's a lot more smooth.

so basically my images aren't being shown correctly. I have looked through a lot of discussions on here and no one seems to have an answer...please help me! editing should be fun, not frustrating.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 23, 2012 6:58 PM   in reply to messycupcakess

Are you looking at the images at actual pixels/100% zoom?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2012 8:02 PM   in reply to messycupcakess

Has this been happening since you started using Lightroom, or is this new behavior?  I was wonderingif your video card / dispaly drivers have been updated recently or changed, but since you said the difference is also showing on export, something else is goin on.  I would suggest an uninstall & reinstall in case something has become corrupted in the rendering modules of the program, and make sure you are using the latest version (3.6)

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2012 8:56 PM   in reply to messycupcakess

All of the edits are associated with the catalogs & are saved there. As far as other settings, refer to this thread, wuoted in my reply

http://forums.adobe.com/message/3655527#3655527

"First of all: Before you re-format your system backup your Catalog to an external hard drive.

Go to Edit > Catalog Settings > General tab and select "Every time LR exits".

Next time you close LR the backup dialog will pop up that lets you choose the backup location.

If you have User-generated Presets you will have to manually copy them to your external hard drive. You do this in your OS.

In Windows the Presets are by default in Documents & Settings > Application Data > Adobe > Lightroom.

Copy all these folders (via Edit > Copy to Folder) to your external hard drive.

After re-installing LR navigate to your backe-up catalog and double-click it. LR will then open with this catalog. Open Preferences > Presets > Show LR Presets Folder and note where this folder is. Then copy your Presets from your external hard drive back to this Presets folder.

As for the settings in Preferences you will have to manually re-set them; there is no way to save these.

BTW: It is always a good idea to back-up your Catalog when you exit LR.

WW"

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2012 9:24 PM   in reply to messycupcakess

Very strange indeed. I was just using the 3.6 update all day with a client project & everything was displaying fine from module to module...If I come across any further insight, I'll add it here. 

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2012 10:07 PM   in reply to messycupcakess

Noise-reduction isn’t necessarily applied to reduced-sized views in Develop, though sometimes it is.  Perhaps something is different about the recent images that LR has decided not show any NR for the reduced-size views.   LR4 changes this behavior so that NR is always applied to reduced-sized views. 

If you export an image at full-size and then view it outside of LR with an OS viewer or a browser, does the exported image look more like the Library view or the Develop view?

Before doing anything too drastic, it is possible that the hard-disk, or camera-raw cache, or previews database and cache is corrupted, so check your hard-drive for problems, purge the Camera RAW cache via the button on the File Handling tab in LR Preferences, and if neither of those things help, then with LR closed, rename the previews folder which is in the Catalog folder and is called catalog-name Previews.lrdata.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2012 10:37 PM   in reply to messycupcakess

Saying something should be true does not make it true.  In LR, up through version 3, the reduced-sized views in Develop (mostly) don’t have noise-reduction applied and is why you see a yellow  exclamation point warning about needing to view things at 100% for the Detail settings to be previewed fully. 

It could very well be that nothing is wrong except your expectations, or it could be that something is corrupted and causing previews not to work right.

The Camera-RAW cache is where LR and Adobe Camera RAW store the demosaicked data (before any settings are applied) so the Adobe RAW engine (in either LR or ACR) doesn’t have to demosaic the RAW image every time a new preview is generated.   Demosaicking is the process of converting the one-color-per-pixel RAW data into 3-colors-per-pixel RGB data, onto which most of the adjustments are applied.

The Previews folder is where LR stores thumbnails and Library preview data that might also have become corrupted causing the reduced-sized views to not be right.  If it’s not outright disk corruption, the previews folder being corrupted would be next most probable.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2012 1:16 AM   in reply to messycupcakess

As ssprengel says, for noise and sharpening the library and develop views are not necessarily the same in LR3.  As I recall, at low ISO, noise reduction isn't applied in develop module except at 100% view.  The reason: to save processing.  The library preview is created and cached, but the develop view must be rendered each time.  The logic is that generally noise is not very visible except at 100% view. 

Another difference: library module renders Adobe RGB (previews are stored in 8-bit Adobe RGB) whereas develop module uses ProPhoto RGB.  Obviously this has no visible effect on the display unless there's something wrong with the monitor profile. 

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points