Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

adding a slide show

Feb 19, 2012 5:05 PM

I am creating a slide show in my timeline.  I have used the special dessolve effects that are offered with the CS4 softward.  That's fine, however, I'd like to do some other dissolve special effects. Could someone give me a couple neat tricks to make my pictures fun to watch. I've seen people who put white frames around the pictures like the old fashione pictures and I've seen picture zoom in and out automatically.  Does my software have any of those capabilities?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 20, 2012 7:37 AM   in reply to givingupusa

Use 'Motion' to zoom-in/out, or pan across the pictures.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2012 8:42 AM   in reply to Fred Mann

For panning its better to use the anchor point.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2012 2:04 PM   in reply to givingupusa

There are quite a few "tricks" to get animation, and other treatments into a SlideShow.

As has been mentioned, Keyframing the Fixed Effects>Motion>Scale (Zoom) and Motion>Position (Pan), can be quite effective, though in PrPro, they are not applied automatically for "random Pans & Zooms." Actually, as each Still Image is unique, I find that programs, that DO allow for random Pans & Zooms, to be rather useless, as they apply those animations "randomly," with no real regard as to what the actual subject of the Still Image is. I animate per each Image, and let it dictate, to me, how I will apply the animation.

Now, there are some "tips and tricks" in this ARTICLE, and some can be effective when dealing with Still Images in both portrait and landscape orientations. In that article, I used an Action in Photoshop to create a "frame" around each image, and the specifics of the "frame" are only limited by one's imagination. In that example, I did not use any animation for the Still Images and only Cross-Dissolves for Transitions between them. Again, one's imagination is the only limitation. Hope that you find a few ideas in that piece.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2012 6:33 PM   in reply to Ann Bens

Ann,

In this thread you mentioned that panning stills it is better to use the anchor point.  Can you explain to me why that is the case as opposed to the "motion" x and y options of movement?

Second, I cannot seem to get my pan and zooms to be really smooth like you would see on TV.  I have tried to use the Ease in and Ease out function as well as the bezier but cannot get a really smooth pan.  I have also attempted to take some stills to AE and use the graph to get more of asweeping curve but to no avail.

Are there some tricks / guidelines that you could tell me about to help me get the picture panning smoothly as well as continuing to pan smoothly.

Thanks,

MIKE

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2012 6:44 PM   in reply to Schmidt_127_New

With some form of Bezier Interpolation, I have never had anything but smooth animation. I wonder if you have some Keyframes, that you do not really want?

Can you post a screen-cap of one of your problem Stills, with the Effects Control Panel open and visable? You might want to expand that horizontally, so that each Keyframe is shown clearly.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2012 5:33 PM   in reply to givingupusa

One can actually create "frames" with Titler in Photoshop. You would basically do a Title with a Shape (most likely Filled and possibly Stroked), a bit larger, than the Still, that will be used. Then, place that Still Image on a Video Track above the Title with the Shape, and use Motion>Position and possibly Motion>Scale to Position and Scale the Still, above the "frame." There are also a lot of Effects, that can be added to the Shape to create a move involved "frame."

One could also photograph a frame, that they liked, and place that Image, below the Still Image, which would then be Scaled and Positioned, to "fit" into that Frame. The Crop Effect might be useful for that Still Image too.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2012 5:35 PM   in reply to givingupusa

For Keyframing in PrPro, there are several tutorials on this PAGE, but other useful tutorials, as well.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points