I am exporting video from Premiere Pro CS5.5 subscription on my iMac with Lion. The video is for a local cable access channel. They require MPEG2 video encoding. I am told that the videos play without any audio from the station's video server. A report generated from that server shows no layer 2 audio on a couple of test videos that I recently submitted. I ran those video files though the AVIcodec program and it confirmed some inconsistancies with the audio in those files. I then exported the various files you seen listed in this report. Using the MPEG2 preset setings produces all of these various codecs. I have done the software updates for Premiere Pro and Media Encoder.
It is very difficult to get files tested on the access channels server. The server can't be broadcasting when testing is done and the director of the station is there on an irregular basis. I have e-mailed short test clips but they fill up his inbox very quickly.
I'm not sure where to go from here. Any suggestins would be appreciated.
This is a screen shot of one file where the audio codec shows as being unknown in AVIcodec. From a quick read of the Gspot super quick start guide, I assume I only need to load the MPEG2 codec if I want to play the file in the Windows media player which I do not. The screen shot does show that the audio is MPEG-1 layer 2, the AVIcodec program disagrees.
I tried a few things to try to get a more consistent export. Should I render the project before exporting? I am new to Premiere Pro so that might be a basic, if so, let me know. It looks like rendering before export makes a difference. Also, on the export settings screen, when I trimmed the project before exporting, it seemed to result in an inconsistent audio output file codec. These tests are all being done using the MPEG2 NTSC High Quality preset. It may be a few days before I know if the files that show in AVIcodec as having good Mpeg-1 layer 2 audio will play ok in the access channel server.
If you see anything here that indicates a problem Jim, please let me know.
Premiere Pro is running on my iMac. The iMac has the Parallels program so I can run Windows on it as well. I only use Windows (XP) on that Mac when I need to do something that I can't do on the Mac. Both the Gspot and AVIcodec programs looked to be available for Windows only. I edit & view most everything on the Mac side of things. I should have mentioned that before, sorry for leaving the information out. Now that you mention it, I probably should be testing/viweing the files on the Windows side of the Mac as well since they are being played on a Windows XP based video server. I did test them on a separate Windows 7 machine to keep the Mac part out of the question.
It is strange that the two different programs - AVIcodec and Gspot disagree on the audio portion of that file, one saying that it sees MPEG1 layer 2 audio, the other saying it is an unknown codec. I did analyze many of the "problem" files with AVIcodec on a Windows only machine running Windows 7. The results were the same - various results when analyzing the audio portion. I also should mention that I also downloaded the trial version of Premiere Pro CS5.5 with Media Encoder onto that Windows 7 machine, created short videos, exported using the MPEG2 NTSC High Quality preset. The resulting files still showed varying results when analyzed with AVIcodec, would not play audio on the cable channel's server, and showed up in that server's playlist as not having any audio. I did this testing on the Windows 7 machine to confirm that it wasn't some kind of conflict between the Windows XP based video server and the Lion OS.
The video server was looking for Transport Stream multiplexing. The access coordinator gave me a spec sheet that pointed this out. Exporting MPEG2 TS multiplexing with MPEG layer 2 audio generated a file with aan extension of .m2t. I thought I needed a file with the .mpg extension. Both audio & video played fine once I did the Transport Stream multiplexing.