Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

PPro CS 5.5 Completely Unusable for Me

Feb 25, 2012 12:42 PM

Very sad, Indeed!!!

I know it's something I'm doing wrong or a conflict of some kind.  No one else seems to be having this problem.

I'm using the newest CS5.5 (Master Collerction)(just did an "Update" and it said I was up-to-date).  Also have a Matrox MXO2 in-line (though, I get the same results whether it's connected or not, in this case).

The bottom line is, Importing DSLR footage (that's all I currently have access to), it will 95% of the time crash PP.  Just go to a "Not Responding" error.

The clips seem to be fine, as they open in my Sony Vegas 11.

On occasion, I can get some clips in, then some random clip will crash PP.  Some times it will hang on the "Import Files" dialog.  Other times (more rare) it will let the clip go into the library, then it will lock up ("Not Responding").

More info:

I start a New Project, use the 720p24 preset under DSLR.  Some footage will import, then I crash.

Most of the offending footage comes from a Nikon D400 (I think)(it was given to me, so I'm not 100% sure).  720p24.

I can't imagine this is a common thing!  Makes PP 100% unusalbe - and no one is saying that.  So is there anything I can try (I haven't reinstalled PP yet)?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 25, 2012 12:46 PM   in reply to matthewroddy

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2012 1:06 PM   in reply to matthewroddy

First thing I would try is not only physically removing any Matrox hardware, but completely eliminating any trace of Matrox software/drivers as well.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2012 1:27 PM   in reply to matthewroddy

I know they were having problems with the D7000 with stuttering.

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/915/cpsid_91558.html

try renaming and see if it at least makes any difference.

GLenn

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2012 4:12 PM   in reply to matthewroddy

Why are you using the MXO2?

Can't you just transfer the files to disc then import to Premiere?

How many clips are you trying to import at one time?

I would try to import them only a few (or 1) at a time, saving after each import batch.

I would be looking to see:

- if there was 1 consistant offensive clip

- if the problem was the actual import step

- if I could edit the footage once it's in Premiere

- if I needed to look at Transcoding the files before import/edit based on the edit experience with native files

- if I needed to ditch the Matrox Hardware

I shoot AVCHD but transcode before importing/editing.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2012 4:30 PM   in reply to [r]Evolution

Matrox MXO2 . . . . .handicapping what seems like a nice system.

And switching the extension to .mpg to by-pass QT.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2012 5:56 PM   in reply to matthewroddy

I SO love having my 27in LCD TV being there next to me for a Preview Monitor.  It's going to really be a drag without it.

We do need that corrected, but without the additional cost and bugs of third-party hardware solutions.  The graphics cards we already have installed are more than capable of stepping into the role.  But we need your help to make that happen.

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/900221?tstart=0

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2012 6:16 AM   in reply to matthewroddy

Sounds like the MATROX is the culprit. It's been years since I've even thought to use MATROX hardware since having so much trouble with it long ago. In watching, listening, reading, researching... MATROX would be my last choice in Hardware with AJA being my first (if I needed it).

I SO love having my 27in LCD TV being there next to me for a Preview Monitor.

What are the connections on your TV?

I go out to a 1080p 24" directly from a second video card and it works in FCP7, PP5.5, Vegas11, MediaComposer6, AfterEffects, & Motion.

Remove/Sell the MATROX and get something that works.

Looks like the AJA io Line would be a good parallel move.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 2, 2012 6:10 PM   in reply to matthewroddy

matthewroddy wrote:

Additional note: with the Matrox hooked up, it can take MINUTES for the File>Export>Media to come up.  Literally.  With the Matrox pulled out, it comes up in seconds.

That was also my experience with the matrox mx02 mini. The feedback I got from Matrox support is that they know about this issue and they're working with Adobe to try to fix it. But I've left the matrox drivers uninstalled from my system for a while now and it's been smooth sailing ever since. When I had it installed I had to make sure I had just the right drivers installed for both the mx02 and my card (Quadro 2000) in order to get it to work without crashing CS5.5.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points