• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I import .AVI files into Premiere Pro CS5?

New Here ,
Dec 26, 2011 Dec 26, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

I have just got myself a new Toshiba Camileo X100 and it shoots in 1080i60 and the raw video files are in an .AVI format there are also backups stored as thm.AVI. When I try to import these files into Premiere on my Macbook Pro I get an error message saying "codec missing or unavailable."

What do I need to do to be able to Import these files? I have searched this forum and googled everything I could think of. One post suggested trying VLC so I tried it that way but my mp4 files that converted through VLC were only sound files instead of both video and audio. I need some sort of way to either convert or import a different way without losing much quality....
This is really bothering me, help would be appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This information may help

Codec: H264 - MPEG-4 AVC (Part 10)

Resolution: 1920x1080
Frame Rate: 29.970030

Audio Codec: MPEG AAC Audio (mp4a)
Sample Rate: 48000 Hz

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 25, 2012 Feb 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem with Premiere Pro CS5.5 on Win 7 with an avi from the RD32II 1080p .h264 Sport Cam from Redleaf. There is no info on the Redleaf website (www.hkredleaf.com) about the codec.

The file plays in Windows Media Player and VideoLAN Player, but Prem Pro imports the audio only.

These are the file properties revealed by MediaInfo:

AVI, 1 video stream AVC, 1 audio stream ADPCM

video: 1920*1080 (16:9), at 29.970 fps, AVC (Main@L4.0)(CABAC / 4 Ref Frames)

audio: 192kbps, 48.0 KHz, 4 bits, 1 channel, ADPCM (Intel)

I downloaded various ffmeg zip files and extracted them.

FFmbc-0.7-rc5

ffmpeg-git-b6ff81d-win64-static from ffmpeg.zeranoe.com

and based on the link from MediaInfo,

last_x264 from VLan which appears to be an encoder and not decoder.

Not having install instructions (or anything specifically relevant to Win7) that I could find in those zip files I do not know if the codec has been installed correctly or not.

I tried the avi2mp4 BAT file aproach in the same folder as the file, copied the ffmpeg.exe into windows system and system 32 folders, and the BAT file.

Nothing! Same result - just the audio.

Adobe Media Encoder's conversion yield's black vision.

Can anyone tell me if I am doing something wrong or is it simply an incompatibility with Prem Pro?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before you corrupt your whole system by trying to download codecs or codec packs, often requiring a complete format of the boot disk and full installation of OS and programs, Google for external converters to make that material editable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can anyone tell me if I am doing something wrong

Yes, your choice of camera.  Things will work better if you pair your professional level software with a professional level camera that records to a standardized recording format.

For this media, you might try a consumer level editor.  They're often more forgiving about formats.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2012 Feb 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim Simon wrote:

Can anyone tell me if I am doing something wrong

Yes, your choice of camera.  Things will work better if you pair your professional level software with a professional level camera that records to a standardized recording format.

For this media, you might try a consumer level editor.  They're often more forgiving about formats.

It's is not my camera nor my choice of camera. I am dealing with a number of files supplied by the client. If you have an answer such as the codec or which edit software will work, I'd appreciate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only way I managed to edit with the material in "native" form was to demux the video from the original AVI file to a .264 file using MPC Home Cinema (Media Player Classic). I then imported both the original AVI, to use for audio and the new .264 to use for video. It's a bit cumbersome, but at least the quality is not degraded. Works for now, until maybe CS6 will support it...?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

.....  demux the video from the original AVI file to a .264 file using MPC Home Cinema (Media Player Classic).

I have the latest version of MC Home Cinema build 1.6.0.4014 . The file plays well in that media player. How do you demux and export a .264 file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In MPC go to File- >Utils->DSM Converter

Right click in the window that pops up and select Add File.

You will see a list of available streams. Right click the stream you want and select demux.

-Although, Jeff's solution might be better for you, since you end up with one properly editable file instead!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In MPC go to File- >Utils->DSM Converter

Hi Magnus. In the MPC Home Cinema x64 version I have the Utils menu option does not seem to exist.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does it look like this?

MPC.jpg

Edit: I see on the MPC web site that their version is a lot newer than mine. I use V 1.3.1249.0

I can zip it up for you if you'd like!

Message was edited by: Magnus Allgurén

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no, like this...

MPC_HC_screen.jpg

maybe the x32 version is different...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use V 1.3.1249.0

I can zip it up for you if you'd like!

Yes please, a copy of the earlier version would be welcome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I sent you a private message!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To the best of my knowledge, Pr still does not support H.264 in an AVI file.  Your best bet is to run it through VirtualDub and convert it to an AVI file with a lossless codec like Lagarith or UT.  Then use the new AVI file in Pr.

Links:

VirtualDub download (at SourceForge) - virtualdub.org

Lagarith Lossless Video Codec

Codecs.com :: Download Ut Video Codec Suite 10.2.4

-Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff,

I just tried opening it with VirtualDub and it won't do it for me... You seem to need a third party codec to do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version?  I used the 32-bit version of 1.9.11 to open one of the test clips from the site Glenn linked to and it opened and played just fine in VirtualDub.

-Jeff

EDIT: I do have the x264 vfw codec installed, so maybe that's the key.  Here's a link:

x264vfw | Free Audio & Video software downloads at SourceForge.net

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Me too!

vdub.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff I installed your codec and works perfectly for the video. Vdub plays the audio fine, but when exporting to Lagarith the audio will not playback in Premiere. It only gives a blank waveform. Video plays back fine though,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suppose I should mention that Pr doesn't like raw PCM audio in an AVI file, either.

Try this setting for the audio in VirtualDub:

PrNoLikeADPCM.png

It'll re-wrap the audio in a way that is Premiere Pro friendly.

-Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sir, you are correct!

I guess this will conclude this session of troubleshooting?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess this will conclude this session of troubleshooting?

I think that's up to Ric.

However, I'm glad it's sorted on your system.

-Jeff

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really appreciate your help in getting this workaround together.

O.K. I have downloaded all the codecs and installed VirtualDub. The file plays with audio but unevenly.

In the menu, under Audio, "Compression..." is ghosted and inaccessible.

The avi file exported appears in PremPro, but the playback is uneven - slows down and speeds up. Is that a setting that needs to be tweaked?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Full processing.jpg

Before you select your compression, you have to select "Full Processing" in the Audio menu. After that you can select your audio compression.

video.jpg

...and under Video, select "Fast recompress" for slightly faster conversion.

Message was edited by: Magnus Allgurén

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines