Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

How do I create this catalogue

Feb 25, 2012 12:57 AM

Tags: #page_size

I want to Create a PDF portfolio or catalogue of some sort that will allow me to keep track of my collection of Anime.

I have approximately 200 Animes and I would like to create one page for each anime. The page would need to be the size of my Galaxy Tab, allow for one image, a title for the anime, a description of the anime and preferably a custom background.

Can someone please tell me step by step how to create a custome page size, how to apply a custom background, and how to add images. Im having absolutely no luck wih it on my own and am getting really frustrated. Internet search inquiries lare confusing me greatly. Please help.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 25, 2012 2:50 AM   in reply to varxtis_2

This isn't a question relating to Acrobat or PDF - even if you want the resulting document to be in PDF, how you create the content is entirely a matter for the software you use (e.g. Word, InDesign, etc.).

Once converted to PDF, Adobe Acrobat can perform minor edits (e.g. correcting typos) but it's not designed to allow the creation of documents from scratch.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2012 4:39 AM   in reply to varxtis_2

The reasons to create a blank page in Acrobat are a little obscure (which is why in Acrobat X the tool is given an equally-obscure position on the UI):

1. There are some situations where you would want to place interactive content within an existing PDF (e.g. a video clip or 3D model) and there isn't a space available. By adding a blank page, you gain that space without having to edit the original document.
    2. It's also sometimes useful to have the ability to create a new blank document when learning about the features in Acrobat (e.g. working with form fields, scripts, etc.) and it's a common tool used when we're instructing.
    3. Some people like the ability to make very basic notes inside Acrobat, by creating a new blank document and firing up the Typewriter tool (this is why in older versions of Acrobat, creating a new blank document automatically turned on the typewriter tool. That's no longer the case, as it was confusing people into thinking Acrobat was some kind of word processor).
    4. Most of the content you can add to a page in Acrobat (rich media, form fields, buttons, etc.) can be copied and pasted between documents, so many Acrobat power users will assemble a 'library' of these assets, and they need a document to live inside.

Acrobat will happily add or replace individual pages. If you've created a 50-page document and wish to replace page 10, save out the new version of that page from your original software (as a 1-page PDF) and right-click the page in the thumbnails panel, select "replace" and pick the new one. You can add extra pages with the same context menu, though of course if the pages have numbers printed on, those won't update (see below).

In the situation you describe, each page is basically the same but with different text and an image, so the software used to create it doesn't need to have any complicated features - you can do it in Word, InDesign, etc. but I'd stick with whatever you're most familiar with. You could assemble the entire thing as one document to begin with and just save as PDF, but using templates for that in Word isn't quite as simple. Personally I'd create each page as a separate document (based on a template so they're all formatted the same) and save them to a bunch of individual PDFs, then use Acrobat to combine them into one file. This way you can drop new or updated files into the folder and re-run the combine wizard.

Acrobat can also apply backgrounds and headers/footers to a PDF, which means you can give the combined file visible page numbers or a creation date. The header/footer text can be updated at any time, so if you add a new page you can re-synch the numbers. Adding a background in Acrobat is a bit easier than doing it in Word, as Acrobat isn't as picky about margins (you can give the page a color, or load an image, and decide if it's visible on printouts or not).

Check out our video on unifying content for an introduction to things like the background tool: http://acrobatusers.com/tutorials/enhancing-pdf-file

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2012 9:14 AM   in reply to varxtis_2

varxtis_2 wrote:

...if i pump out 50 pages the way i want, but realize that page 5 needs to be changed or a page needs to be added, any changes or additions greatly effect the format of the pages thereafter

This does not need to be the case. One of the basic principles of content creation is the application of logical break characters where necessary. Are you using Page Break character/marker after your last paragraph (description of the anime) on the page or multiple Returns?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2012 10:18 AM   in reply to varxtis_2

Re "Create PDF from Blank Page": This feature only existed in Acrobat 9, if

I'm not mistaken. In some versions it was a hidden feature that only became

visible if you pressed down Shift while clicking the File menu, but in X

it's totally gone.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2012 10:48 AM   in reply to Gilad D (try67)

In Acrobat X it is possible to create a PDF document with a blank page.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2012 10:48 AM   in reply to Gilad D (try67)

Nope, it's still there! With no file open, click Tools > Pages > More Insert Options > Insert Blank Page.

(As I said, it's obscure)

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2012 10:55 AM   in reply to Dave Merchant

@Bernd - Didn't say it was not possible, just that it was removed from the menus (at least, from the File menu).

@Dave - That's a good one. Wasn't aware of that...

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2012 11:24 AM   in reply to Gilad D (try67)

gilad, fwiw:

Acrobat 8 Pro — File > Create PDF > From Blank Page

Be well...

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2012 11:39 AM   in reply to varxtis_2

You've found why multiple returns are problematic. (Consider it a worthwhile lesson; there are litteraly millions of MS Word users using this approach; .99% of millions chasing their tail at some point because of it)

The proper character would be a Page Break. My screen shots are taken from MS Word 2007. Get accustomed to viewing Special Charcters, toggle the ¶ icon on the Home Ribbon.

I would suggest you open a find/change dialog - ctrl + f

In the Find field type ^p^p^p  (^p being the code for Paragraph Marker/Hard Return)

In the Return field enter ^m  (Word's code for Manual Page Break)

Select Replace All.

Repeat until no changes are made. Personally, I would than run it using 2 returns, ^p^p.

Going forward, when you find that you desire a Page Break, use the ctrl key in addition to the Return key (ctrl + Enter) to force a Page Break without needing to select it from the menu. Note that the Enter key and Return key on some keyboards (laptops) perform different functions in different applications. 

You will have a cleaner document, not subject to page re-flow.  IMO, Word would be a slighlty cumbersome tool for this project, but capable dependent on your experience with New Text boxes, understanding of Text Wrapping (over your background image) and a few things unthought of. I work exclusively in InDesign, an expensive and NOT user intuitive, ready for the untrained individual.

MS Word Find Dialog.pngMS Word Change Dialog.pngMS Word Page Break.png

Message was edited by: Daniel Flavin - Enter vs Return key note

|
    Mark as:
  • JR_Boulay
    487 posts
    Nov 23, 2008
    Feb 27, 2012 5:12 AM   in reply to Gilad D (try67)

"Create PDF from Blank Page": This feature only existed in Acrobat 9, if I'm not mistaken.

It cames with version 7.0.5 but requires the use of the ALT key.

It was available in Acrobat 8 and 9 from the File menu.

|
    Mark as:
  • JR_Boulay
    487 posts
    Nov 23, 2008
    Feb 27, 2012 5:14 AM   in reply to Dave Merchant

Nope, it's still there! With no file open, click Tools > Pages > More Insert Options > Insert Blank Page.

This is a Windows only feature, since the Tools pane is not displayed when there is no document opened in the Mac version.

In any case, using my free abracadabraTools is a better choice: http://abracadabrapdf.net/articles.php?lng=fr&pg=717

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2012 5:36 AM   in reply to JR_Boulay

I offer this product to insert a blank page into a document, by the way:

http://try67.blogspot.com/2009/05/acrobat-insert-blank-page.html

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status