Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Importing .mts AVCHD video into Premiere Pro CS5.5, HELP!

Jan 29, 2012 8:39 AM

Tags: #avchd #pc #importing #.mts #premiere_pro_cs5.5 #help! #unsupprted_compression_type_error

Hello,

I am new on Adobe forums and I nedd a question answered.

I have seen that there is no definite answer on how to import .mts files from my Canon Vixia HFR20 to Premiere Pro CS5.5.

I get "The file has an unsupported compression type" message. For now I convert the videos to .AVI but i would why would I continuosly convert them?

I bought the camera mainly for the HD, so help soon would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in Advance,

Ethan

P.S: I have a PC to put that in mind...

Branched to a new discussion.

Replies 1 2 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 29, 2012 8:44 AM   in reply to Just4School

I have CS5 and MTS files import just fine, AVCHD support is native to PPro... copy the ENTIRE folder from the camera to your video hard drive and import from there

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2012 9:37 AM   in reply to Just4School

I don't think you want the .cpi files in there.

Have you tried just Ctrl+I and then selecting just the individual .mts files?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 30, 2012 9:28 PM   in reply to Just4School

Well not there.  You shouldn't put anything on the C: drive but Windows and Programs.  You need a separate internal hard drive for Media.

And you need to copy the entire PRIVATE folder, not just the MTS files.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 31, 2012 12:32 AM   in reply to Just4School

Maybe its somthing to do with your camera or the settings your shooting in.

What are your camera settings ?

If you can create a new folder and take some test footage of anything.  Just make it short.

Then either zip it up or upload to one of the free sharing websites and others can test your footage and see if it works for us.

GLenn

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2012 12:14 PM   in reply to Powered by Design

I am having the same problem importing into Premiere Pro 5.  I have uploaded one of the .MTS files, a small 6MB file to https://www.transferbigfiles.com/c4767c5b-cd1f-4b82-85fe-a578a751f875? rid=US5patibm7CavSjfrvMeSw2.  So if you can have a look that would be hugely appreciated.  I viewed another link that suggested it might be the container or codec that it is compressed with/into and if I get the right codec it would work.  But I can't see this info from the file.

P.S. I am using a Macbook Pro running Lion if that has any relevance.

Kind Regards

Stu

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2012 4:06 PM   in reply to TheStuMystro7

I downloaded the file and it plays fine for me but im on Windows.

I tested with CS 5.0.3

Do you have the Mac updated to 5.0.4 ?

Glenn

picture098.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2012 4:54 PM   in reply to Powered by Design

Thanks for your reply Glenn, I am not sure what the numbers 5.0.4 mean sorry.  This is the specs I could find:

Screen Shot 2012-02-16 at 10.48.20 AM 1.png

Can you tell from the file which 'container' or 'codec' the file is compressed with?  I tried downloading a Mac equivilent program to G-Spot to find this out, but it won't open this file for analysis.  If I know this it may be as simple as downloading the right codec for APP to read. 

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 15, 2012 10:27 PM   in reply to TheStuMystro7

5.0.4 is what version of Premiere you should have with a Mac.

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/product.jsp?product=98&platform =Macintosh

picture099.jpg

Here is a link that Media Info says is the codec inside.  They have a Mac version.

http://www.videolan.org/developers/x264.html

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2012 9:13 PM   in reply to Powered by Design

Thanks again Glen.  Have downloaded Media Info, this program actually works.  I then downloaded the x264 codec and put it into my Premiere Pro folder, but the .MTS file still will not import.  I have the .MTS file in the PP folder in the same place as the .prproj file.  The same error continues "The file has an unsupported compression type".  Does the compression type relate to the Codec? Mmmmmmmmm any help appreciated!!!

And my version of PP is 5.0.0

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2012 2:40 AM   in reply to TheStuMystro7

I would first update your Premire and see if that helps.

Just launch Premiere and hit Help and Check for updates.

Maybe that will fix it for you.

GLenn

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 17, 2012 6:35 PM   in reply to Just4School

I ran across this tonight for the first time.  I read somewhere to change the file name as a work around.  It worked.  I just renamed the files and they imported fine.  I have no idea what the issue is but hope I don't have to change file names just to import.  Any suggestions to why this is happening?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2012 9:52 AM   in reply to Powered by Design

Thanks for your help again.  Have updated PP, it now says I have version 5.0.4.  But unfortunately this hasn't fixed the problem, the same error is occurring.  With the codec that I downloaded, was I supposed to put this into some sort of 'codec folder' as such?  Maybe I just have this in the wrong place and it can't access it?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2012 9:53 AM   in reply to TheStuMystro7

Thanks for the suggestion, unfortunately it didn't work for me.  I even tried renaming the extensions as well but nothing is working.  Thanks anyway.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2012 4:01 PM   in reply to TheStuMystro7

I wish I could help more.

Maybe start your own thread stating you have a mac and cant play the file.

It works on the PC version so it has to have something to do with the Mac but im just guessing.

Include a link to the file so someone else with a Mac can download it a try it.

You might have to convert it if nothing else works.

GLenn

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2012 6:07 PM   in reply to TheStuMystro7

Exactly what did MediaInfo say about your file?

What CODEC is inside it, for both Audio & Video?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 20, 2012 7:09 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Here is the tree of MediaInfo

GLenn

picture100.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2012 5:01 PM   in reply to Powered by Design

Thanks Glenn, maybe this has helped Just4School anyway as a PC user.  I would be interested to hear from Just4School to see if it is now working with a PC.  If not, then there must be another answer out there.  I just jumped in on this forum as it was exactly the same problem as I was having, except I have a Mac.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 21, 2012 6:08 PM   in reply to TheStuMystro7

I wonder if it has anything to do with it being Blu-ray

We all know how Apple doesnt like Blu-ray.

Just a guess.

What file extensions have you tried renaming it to ?

Have you tried .m4t ?

GLenn

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2012 8:45 PM   in reply to Powered by Design

Tried renaming with .m4t extension and PP wouldn't even allow me to view it, ,must not support that file type?  I am experimenting with different sequence formats, no success so far.  I can't find a AVCHD option, only DVCPROHD options and of course PAL and NTSC.  Which suggests to me that there is something missing.  Anyway I will keep trying.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2012 10:40 PM   in reply to TheStuMystro7

Post a screen cap of what presets you have.

Maybe you have gotten the revert to trial bug and lost your options to play these files since they dont play in the trial version.

Here is what mine look like.

picture103.jpg

Here is the Properties of the file you uploaded.

picture102.jpg

And here is what sequence that was created when dragging to the New Item button.

picture101.jpg

See if you have the same options.

GLenn

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2012 11:21 AM   in reply to Powered by Design

Hi Glenn,

Thanks again for your help, was very helpful to see your screenshots.  I don't have anywhere near all the presets that you have.  Not having the AVCHD would definitely be why I can't import the .mts file.  It is like I have the trial version restrictions but can't unlock the presets.  I have tried:

Uninstalling and reinstalling

Uninstalling and downloading a version from online and installing from that file instead of my DVD Roms's

Using Adobe Cleaner Tool (very unsuccessful, wouldn't even remove APP 5 out of my apps folder) and reinstalled.

Not sure what else I can do to get these presets, my installation code is supposed to unlock the full version (I assume that there is no other files that I need to download in order to get the rest of the presets?).    Stu

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2012 11:56 AM   in reply to TheStuMystro7

Have you installed any codec pack?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2012 3:52 PM   in reply to Ann Bens

Hi Ann,

I downloaded the x264 codec folder and put it into my Premiere Pro folder (I didn't actually know what to do with the codec once I downloaded it), but the .MTS file still will not import.  I have the .MTS file in the PP folder in the same place as the .prproj file.  The same error continues "The file has an unsupported compression type".  Does the compression type relate to the Codec?  There is another folder called "Presets" in the APP folder, the presets seem to be the problem, is there files that I need to add to this folder maybe that will give me the other presets that would allow me to have the AVCHD option?  Any help appreciated!!!  Stu

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2012 4:09 PM   in reply to TheStuMystro7

is there files that I need to add to this folder

Not manually, no.  So far the only solution has been to deactivate, uninstall, run the clean script, reboot and reinstall.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2012 4:19 PM   in reply to TheStuMystro7

Show a screen cap of your presets.

Its sounds like even though you are un-installing and running the clean script you are not getting the FULL version and thus those codecs are not getting installed for you to use it.

Glenn

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2012 9:32 PM   in reply to Powered by Design

Screen Shot 2012-02-27 at 3.25.07 PM.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2012 9:37 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

So when you download a Codec, where are you supposed to put the file/folder of files that you download?  Also it would be interesting to copy the presets folder and paste it into my folder and see it adds to the presets available.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2012 10:28 PM   in reply to TheStuMystro7

I dont know anything on Mac's.

Maybe try logging in as the root user and then uninstalling.

I know others have had to log in as the root user to do something and it fixed it and when they logged back in on their other log in it now worked.  I really dont know if this will help but just guessing.

For some reason Premiere is not installing correctly.  If it did you would have all those presets.  You cant just add the presets but its just a way to tell if Premiere is acting weird.  If there not there something is wrong.

Maybe someone else might have an idea.

GLenn

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2012 4:40 AM   in reply to Just4School

Use Compressor or Adobe Media Encoder (Clipwrap or your favorite Encode/Tramscode too) and Transcode it to something useable.

I know... it says it will edit native AVCHD, so why can't I?

I don't have an answer for that as my philosophy is  that I'd rather edit than troubleshoot, fix, or build computers.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2012 8:58 AM   in reply to [r]Evolution

Thanks for the suggestion.  Unfortunately the same thing is happening in AME.  Screen Shot 2012-02-28 at 2.55.31 AM.png

I have used another program to convert it to a usable format, but lost so much quality in converting that it isn't an option.  Thanks anyway.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 28, 2012 7:03 PM   in reply to TheStuMystro7

This is precisely why I always have Sony Vegas installed on all my Video Workstations. Yep. Even on my Mac via bootcamp. It just seems to always be able to open the files that many other NLE's have problems with. I can use it to open & export to a different format if/when needed. There is a 30 day trial if you need to open & export your files.

As this is along the lines of what I was suggesting;

What program did you use to convert?

What settings are you exporting to?

Maybe you need to select a different Format/CoDec/Size or just up the bit rate?

I hope you didn't get snookered into buying one of those cheap Chinese video converters that are flooding the internet, did you?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 28, 2012 7:24 PM   in reply to [r]Evolution

Thanks for that.  I am working with others that have APP so need to be able to share project files, but if Sony Vegas can do a good job of converting the files with little loss of quality then that is definitely an option!  Do you think vegas can export from one format to another without losing perceivable quality?

I used both Prism and Kigo Video Converter to convert the files and neither did a good job.  I tried to keep to the original settings when converting and used the maximum bitrate available.  The file size goes from 6.5 Mb to 1.4Mb. They are both free programs, so probably enough said!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 1, 2012 7:24 PM   in reply to TheStuMystro7

Check out this thread TheStuMystro7

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4240623#4240623

Glenn

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2012 10:55 AM   in reply to Powered by Design

Thanks Glenn.  Interesting to read.  I am working in AEST so no daylight saving time issues to play with for me.  This is all frustrating, so have now bought the latest version of PP.  So 5.5 will be arriving hopefully soon and all going well will actually WORK!   Will let you know if it doesn't.  Thanks everyone for your time to try and help.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2012 11:00 AM   in reply to TheStuMystro7

I hope CS5.5 works too.

Make sure if CS6 comes out soon that if your in the window you can get a free upgrade.

I forget what the window is, maybe someone else can point a link to something.

Glenn

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2012 4:37 PM   in reply to TheStuMystro7

The issue is definitely the 'revert to trial' bug.  All your MPEG presets are missing.

You'll need to solve that for things to work.

|
    Mark as:
  • WhisperlandCastle
    1 posts
    Mar 17, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 17, 2012 12:59 PM   in reply to Jim Simon

Jim - So glad I found this post. I'm brand new to Premiere Pro and was struggling with how to import my AVCHD files.  Importing the entire PRIVATE folder worked!  Thank you!

(I'm on a Mac, OS 10.5.8 Leopard, using Premiere Pro CS5).

|
    Mark as:
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points