Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

A quick and easy fix for pdf thumbnail problem with Acrobat and Reader X

Jan 14, 2012 10:24 AM

Tags: #cs5 #acrobat #x64 #adobe #cs5.5 #windows_7 #explorer #thumbnails #acrobat_x #adobe_reader #cs55 #thumbnail

After installing Acrobat from CS5.5 on windows 7 x64 generating pdf thumbnails in windows explorer got broken, here's how i fixed that.

1. open reader x preferences (crtl + k), go to "General" tab, click "Select Default PDF handler" button and choose Reader

2. if thumbnails got fixed after that - great!

3. if not or even got worse (for me Reader assigned wrong program to handle PDF files) go to Control Panel in windows, click "Default Programs" or something like that (i can't tell how exactly it is in english because i use polish version of windows)

a1.PNG

4. in window that opens click this

a2.PNG

5. browse for .pdf and click "Change Program"

a3.PNG

6. in window that opens select Adobe Reader, click OK, close control panel window

7. now open Adobe Reader from start menu/shortcut, press crtl+O (open file) and navigate to any folder containing PDF files

8. you should see windows generating thumbnails in the "Open File" dialog

9. it's (hopefully - at least for me it worked fine) fixed

hope this helps

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 28, 2012 3:42 AM   in reply to Full Meetal Fajans

Absolutely fabulous!! This worked like a dream!! I only had to do the first part of what you explained & VOILA, I had thumbnails back!!

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!  This had been driving me NUTS & I had searched all over the internet & nothing worked.

I am SOOOO glad I found your post!!!

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2012 12:09 AM   in reply to dmacdo1

Hi,

It's not working for me

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2012 11:24 PM   in reply to Full Meetal Fajans

Hi,

Another option :

You need to uninstall Reader X from the system and keep Acrobat.

It worked for me.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2012 3:49 PM   in reply to Full Meetal Fajans

This symptom occur because a 64-bit process that runs on a computer that is running an x64-based version of Windows cannot load the 32-bit .dll files that are required by some program features.

You may try the following work around:

You must use the 32-bit version of Windows Explorer. The 32-bit version of Windows Explorer is located in the %windir%\Syswow64 folder on the computer that is running an x64-based version of Windows.

To use the 32-bit version of Windows Explorer, follow these steps:

Click Start, click Run, type the following in the Open box, and then click OK:

Drive_Letter:\windows\syswow64\explorer.exe /separate

Note The placeholder Drive_Letter represents the drive where the x64-based version of Windows is installed.

For more information:

Some Windows Explorer extensions and some Control Panel items are not displayed on computers that are running an x64-based version of Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/895561#appliesto

Now check if the issue is resolved.

You may want to try the following steps:

PDF thumbnail view via the Acrobat reader:

1. Run Acrobat Reader. In Reader, click File > Open and navigate to the folder(s) containing your PDF file(s). If necessary, move the slider to show all your PDF files.

2. Cancel out of Open and exit Reader.

3. Open Windows Explorer and navigate to the folders(s) containing your PDF file(s).

4. Click Views and move the slider until you see PDF thumbnails.

Thanks and Regards:

Sanjay Manju Suman

Adobe System Inc.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 15, 2012 5:27 AM   in reply to Full Meetal Fajans

i found a fix file , i try it and it works

download

http://www.pretentiousname.com/adobe_pdf_x64_fix/#downl

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2012 1:32 AM   in reply to Creative Skull

Hey Sanjay,

I've got the following issue with my Adobe Reader X, under Windows 7 x86: after having cleaned my PC with "Disk Cleanup" option, I can no longer see my .pdf thumbanils (books covers) for my .pdf docs. I have tried the view option, I have tried reinstalling Adobe X, but the problem persists. I think, the disk cleanup might have deleted some registry entries. It is interesting that under my wife's account, one can see these .pdf thumbnails (book covers). please find attached a screen capture that helps you make an idea of how worse it is. Once again - I'm running Windows 7 x86 and not x64.

Thank you in advance for your support

Capture.PNG

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2012 10:53 PM   in reply to dragosstefany2

Well if nothing works  you can try this:

Open Adobe Reader X

Click on File and Open.

It will bring the Open dialouge Box.

Browse to the location wehere you want to show PDF in thumbnail view (Let's say Desktop)

In open dialouge box Change the view to Thumbnail.

Need not to Even open any file.

Close the Open Dialouge Box and Close Reader X.

Go to Desktop you'll find all PDF in Thumbnail.

Hope it Will Work, Good Luck

Thanks

Sanjay Manju Suman

Adobe Systems Inc.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 19, 2012 1:40 PM   in reply to Creative Skull

GEE as expensive as your stuff is why don't you guys make a 64 bit dll??? This has been going on for years. Says alot about how you cater to your paying customers needs.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2013 8:54 AM   in reply to hcradfc

BS. Adobe is just too lazy to fix it. Here's the fix:

Fixes for 64-bit Adobe Reader preview handler and thumbnail

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 19, 2013 4:59 AM   in reply to Bad213Boy

The "fix for 64-bit" program works like charm. Thanks for the link, much appreciated

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2013 11:31 PM   in reply to Full Meetal Fajans

Thank you very much. This solution has solved my problem. I'm using a 32-bit Windows 7.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2013 10:01 AM   in reply to Bad213Boy

For those with this thumbnail problem that are running Windows 7 in 64bit format this is the fix to solve the problem. I will be sorting out my PC when I get home.

Thanks for all the other suggestions on how to fix the thumbnail problem. Unforunately, none of them worked for me on my laptop except for Bad213Boy's solution. It's really sad to find so much joy in watching your pdf's change to thumbnails as you look through the files in Explorer.

I would recommend Adobe makes a significant donation to Bad213Boy for all the effort that he has put in to solve a problem with their software!

Thank you for the link to the fix that really works

Pete M

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 30, 2013 6:26 PM   in reply to Creative Skull

On a PC without admin rights, doing Reader > File > Open on your folder(s) seems about all that works.

Sadly these thumbnails expire quickly with normal use, as if to taunt your lowly non-admin status.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 16, 2014 9:47 AM   in reply to Bad213Boy

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)