Skip navigation

Automatic highlight recovery - a double-edged sword.

Feb 5, 2012 2:32 PM

Latest reply: Rob Cole, Feb 27, 2012 6:07 AM
Replies 1 2 3 Previous Next
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 9, 2012 10:17 AM   in reply to t.hall1982

t.hall1982 wrote:

In the skateboard example, the "before adjusting whites" 2012 process version board is noticabley dull compared to the 2010 version (almost just like if I had used recovery in LR3, which I grew to despise and almost never use, becuse of this effect). After adjusting only the "whites", however, the tones of the baord have shifted considerably towards brighter highlights, well beyond what I would want.

Well, there's a reason there are other controls in the Basic panel...shifting +Whites will lighten more than JUST the white point. As Eric said, that's to be expected...so what happens if you increase whites and slightly decrease Exposure?

Also note that the easiest way to clip the background without impacting much of the rest of the tone curve would be in the point curve editor...pretty easy to do using the TAT.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2012 10:20 AM   in reply to t.hall1982

I already see a difference in skin tone between 2010 and 2012 before you do anything. That's a larger difference in hue than I am seeing between PV 2010 and PV 2012. Are you using default settings in 2010? You should start at medium tone curve, not linear. The medium tone curve makes the LR rendering (when using PV 2010) reproduce the tone curve built in to the camera profile you are using (in calibration), In PV 2012 that was made more logical and now you should use a linear tone curve to reproduce the profile's built in tone curve. So to compare use medium in PV 2010 and linear in 2012.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 9, 2012 10:33 AM   in reply to Jao vdL

Correct, the default setting for 2010 is Medium Contrast for the point curve (not Linear).

Eric

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2012 7:19 AM   in reply to Rob Cole

While I appreciate the suggestions, and after some more twiddling around in LR4 and getting a slightly better feel for it, for this particular situation (which isn't isolated; many many photographers use an all white studio setup) LR4 is creating more work and perceiveably more extreme tweeks to get the image where I want it. Granted, with the new controls it seems comes a whole new way of thinking; could be that, but still..

...as suggested by others, I think, at the very least, an option to disable this "auto highlight recovery" would make a whole lot of sense.

|
    Mark as:
  • Andrew Rodney
    1,391 posts
    Apr 16, 2009
    Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 10, 2012 8:47 AM   in reply to t.hall1982

t.hall1982 wrote:

While I appreciate the suggestions, and after some more twiddling around in LR4 and getting a slightly better feel for it, for this particular situation (which isn't isolated; many many photographers use an all white studio setup) LR4 is creating more work and perceiveably more extreme tweeks to get the image where I want it.

Maybe just once, until you build a preset to adjust the white bkgnd.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2012 9:10 AM   in reply to Andrew Rodney

Andrew Rodney wrote:

t.hall1982 wrote:

While I appreciate the suggestions, and after some more twiddling around in LR4 and getting a slightly better feel for it, for this particular situation (which isn't isolated; many many photographers use an all white studio setup) LR4 is creating more work and perceiveably more extreme tweeks to get the image where I want it.

Maybe just once, until you build a preset to adjust the white bkgnd.

Hm, maybe... assuming the auto highlight recovery works the same/consistently on every image; which from what I've gathered from a couple other people's posts, it doesn't. We shall see...

|
    Mark as:
1 2 3 Previous Next
Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (2)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points