Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

editing AVCHD videos

Feb 27, 2012 6:08 AM

I have read and I think you have mentioned that edititing AVCHD videos in requires a fast processor and lots of memory.

My machine has 2-core and 4.00gb RAM and I don't know if it'll be up to the task.

What can I do to work around this problem in Premiere Pro CS5?  Convert the videos to something more manageable or choose a preset like DV-NTSC?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 27, 2012 6:31 AM   in reply to videope

What can I do to work around this problem in Premiere Pro CS5?

Upgrade the system to something 'Economical': http://forums.adobe.com/thread/947698?tstart=0

Convert the videos to something more manageable or choose a preset like DV-NTSC?

Why shoot in HD if you want to convert to SD? Choosing a different preset does not make the editing any easier, only more complex and even more demanding. You need to convert to SD or use Cineform or similar, but then your next problem rears its head, your disk setup. I find it hard to believe you already have three fast 7200 RPM internal SATA disks in such a system, and that is a practical minimum for editing, especially if you use Cineform, because it requires about three times the disk space compared to AVCHD.

You are right that your system is underspecced and slower than molasses in winter. If you don't have a nVidia card with at least 1 GB VRAM depending on the CPU, that system will be around 50 - 70 times slower than a fast desktop. That means that where some people have to wait one hour for the exporting of their time-line, you may have to wait 50 to 70 hours.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2012 6:32 AM   in reply to videope

Cineform Neoscene is an option.

Download the trial at see if this will work for you.

http://cineform.com/products/neoscene

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2012 8:10 AM   in reply to videope

A SUMMARY OF YOUR ANSWER:  Buy new equipment otherwise don't bother.

That is the gist of it.

When a poster does not mention he has little or no experience, has 48 posts in his name, has probably read even more posts than just the ones he posted or answered to, it is unreasonable to expect utter noobidity on the part of the OP. A logical assumption is some basic understanding, but hey, if I offended you in any way by using tech lingo that you do not understand, even though it is very basic tech speak, my excuses.

I suggest you gain some understanding when reading the questions posed.

You should gather by the question the level of knowledge the questioner has and answer accordingly.

Sorry, I'm not a mind reader. "The two most abundant things in the universe, are Hydrogen......and Noobidity!" and you did not tell anything about the last condition and I did not want to make that presumption. The lengthy response was because I had the feeling you were not an expert either.

Both Ann and myself suggested an alternative, Cineform Neoscene.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2012 10:38 AM   in reply to videope

CineForm's NeoScene is a conversion program. It basically converts AVCHD material to an easier-to-edit CODEC, so that less CPU horsepower is needed. These are basically proxy files.

There was a time, before PrPro could natively Import and edit AVCHD material, and NeoScene was very popular. As of about the 2nd update to CS 4, native AVCHD Import was added (IIRC), but for under-powered computers, it still remains an alternative.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2012 11:08 AM   in reply to videope

Cineform is what we call a intermediare codec.

In the programm called Neoscene you convert the avchd files to Cineform avi's.

The minimum pc requirement for Cineform avi's is core2duo, but more is better.

Once you get these avi's, you import them into Premiere, edit and export to dvd.

Download the trial in the link I gave you and have a spin.

The trial works 7 might be 14 days.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 28, 2012 6:29 AM   in reply to videope

videope,

Harm's advice is sound and he gives it to you FOR FREE. It is not tecnically convoluted...it is fact. I speak as someone who struggles with a dual core 4GB RAM (not for much longer), although I do have 3x 7200 RPM drives.

Seriously, these nice folk tell you to try cineform and you bark "What does it do?" I'm surprised they took the time to tell you! [inappropriate comment removed]

I don't mean to be rude, but being a novice does not entitle you to behave like a petulant child.

If you want a free option (rather than cineform) you could try converting your footage to Avid DNxHD. All you have to do is use google and you can read all about it. And my last suggestion would be to read, read and then read some more. Solving problems for yourself becomes addictive and leads to enlightenment...

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points