Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

PS Expert logo

Feb 24, 2012 9:50 AM

PS-Logo.jpg

On the left an official logo by Adobe. On the right the PS Expert logo.

Does it mean that approved Photoshop experts may use this logo?

Best regards --Gernot Hoffmann

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 24, 2012 10:15 AM   in reply to Gernot Hoffmann

Is that Ps Expert what used to be called Photoshop ACE (Adobe Certified Expert)?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2012 11:21 AM   in reply to Gernot Hoffmann

Which logo are you talking about and what do you mean by "approved Photoshop experts"? The Adobe Certified Expert program has a specific logo which can be downloaded from here:

http://www.adobe.com/support/certification/community.html

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,052 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Feb 24, 2012 3:06 PM   in reply to Gernot Hoffmann

Gernot, the Ps expert is a logo that Noel Carboni created because his previous logo was quite similar to the Photoshop logo, and confused some users, leading them to believe that he was an Adobe representative. Noel then added the expert wording (like in the expression self appointed expert , but his numerous contributions correlate it)

I did not comment much when he changed it, but thought as well that his new one could as well be confusing.

I don't know why Noel does not use a photo, or something very different from the Ps Logo as his avatar...

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,972 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Feb 24, 2012 3:55 PM   in reply to Pierre Courtejoie

Everyone should have the icon they deserve. 

Pierre.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2012 11:18 PM   in reply to Pierre Courtejoie

PECourtejoie wrote:

Gernot, the Ps expert is a logo that Noel Carboni created... Noel then added the expert wording (like in the expression self appointed expert , but his numerous contributions correlate it)...

Thank you for the explanation as well as for the subtle implication in your use of the word "correlate" in preference to validate.  Powerful diplomacy there. Kudos.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 25, 2012 5:38 PM   in reply to Gernot Hoffmann

Heh, I just saw this now.  Pierre (PECourtejoie) has it right (thanks!).

I'm sorry if my avatar might bother some.  I do plan to continue to use it, because it's approved and I see no reason not to. 

Words to the wise:  Never undersell yourself, and overdeliver on peoples' expectations of you.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 26, 2012 8:29 AM   in reply to Gernot Hoffmann

Gernot, custom avatars are passed through an approval process.  If Adobe felt my avatar was inappropriate or being illegally used then I believe they'd have refused to allow me to use it.  In addition, if I were doing inappropriate things in an ongoing way, I imagine they might ask me to change it or even remove me from this forum.

As it is, I have put hundreds of hours into helping people here, free of charge, because I like helping people.  I also have an interest in seeing Adobe succeed.

It's possible Adobe might actually appreciate that I am associated with Photoshop, and giving free expert support to their customers.

But hey, if you feel I'm making an inappropriate usage of Adobe's "Ps", please by all means notify Adobe and ask them for a complete review.

Thank you for your concern.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,052 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Feb 27, 2012 3:19 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Noel Carboni wrote:

Gernot, custom avatars are passed through an approval process.  If Adobe felt my avatar was inappropriate or being illegally used then I believe they'd have refused to allow me to use it.  In addition, if I were doing inappropriate things in an ongoing way, I imagine they might ask me to change it or even remove me from this forum.

As it is, I have put hundreds of hours into helping people here, free of charge, because I like helping people.  I also have an interest in seeing Adobe succeed.

Noel, moderators approve the avatars. And it is not compartimented (we don't know in what area you are posting) so it might be an acrobat moderator, for instance, that approved it.

It is not obscene, nor does it have illegal stuff in there (drugs, etc.), it is not the Adobe logo, so I guess that he/she accepted it without searching any further.

What I do notice is that there is ongoing confusion with your avatar. I remember that you kindly changed it when the issue was raised in the past, but when I saw the new one... I wondered it was disingenious or not.

Everyone can be an expert in a given field of Photoshop, and sorry, but you are no more expert than others, like R_Kelly, JJMack Christoph P. and so many others in here.

Why confuse newcomers, and regular participants, like Gernot Hoffmann?

If you do have an Adobe Expert Certification, feel free to list in your profile...

(BTW, I don't demand you to change it, but given the confusion going on, don't you find that something else might be more appropriate?)

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 27, 2012 10:40 AM   in reply to Pierre Courtejoie

"Disingenious"?!?  What does that mean?  It's not even an English word, Pierre.

Did you mean "disingenuous"?  Has my behavior here shown any lack of frankness, candor, or sincerity?  Frankly I resent that implication and however you misspell it this was not a nice thing to say!  Perhaps you are not so deserving of Trevor's graphic above after all.

And why would you bring other experts' names into this?  These people (and I do agree that they are very much experts) haven't commented at all in this thread, and of course they're free to put the word "Expert" into their own avatars if they would like.

Frankly, it seems silly after thousands of posts, and already my having made one voluntary change to try to help try to avoid confusion with the Ps icon, that this is again being made an issue now.  But hey, even though you've chosen to be insulting about it, the last thing on my mind here is to cause conflict.  So, I offer the following choices for your consideration.  Please let me know which of the following will best avoid future confusion.

PS_Avatar_Choice1.png

PS_Avatar_Choice4.png

I'll also offer this:  If anyone else here wishes to use any of these graphics for their own avatar, or would like me to help make them a custom one, I'll be more than happy.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,052 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Feb 27, 2012 12:12 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Sorry, Noel, my intent was not to hurt you, I expressed the feeling I had when I first saw your new avatar... I did indeed point out that you changed it in the past. I just did not understand why you kept it so close to the other one, to the Ps logo, and did not understand your motives. No hurt intended. Sorry for the mispelling, too!

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,972 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Feb 27, 2012 12:21 PM   in reply to Pierre Courtejoie

I have to say that I thought Noel was an Adobe employee and officially representing them in this forum, when I first started posting here.  It certainly does not offend me if Noel wants to keep on using it, but I suspect he would be ripped to shreds on the Premiere Pro Hardware forum.  They don't take prisoners over there.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 27, 2012 2:07 PM   in reply to Trevor Dennis

Fair enough.  I'm going to switch to the first of the two teal colored ones above when it gets approved.  I happen to like my little chicklet avatar!

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2012 2:55 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

With 10,000 points you could qualify for a Star rather than User.  Although some would complain about that also.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2012 3:40 PM   in reply to Trevor Dennis
    I suspect he would be ripped to shreds on the Premiere Pro Hardware forum.  They don't take prisoners over there.

LOL

Trevor, Trevor, we are not THAT bad over there... well, not usually. You need to drop by the Video Lounge, to see how we "chill out."

FWIW (one vote, where none might even be taken) I have no issues with Noel using his avatar. I was never confused, and thought it rather spot-on, due to his contributions in this forum, and the level of help that he offers. But hey, that is just me, and I am neither a MOD, nor an Adobe employee - just a user, who tries to help people with various Adobe programs.

Trevor, see you in the Video Lounge - just watch out for the "scary snakes."

Hunt

PS - As an aside, I think that Noel's participation in the Hardware Forum would be greatly appreciated. As soon as he got a handle on how PrPro's needs, might differ from those of PS, he'd fit right in. His "charts & graphs" would go well with Harm Millaard's.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2012 3:38 PM   in reply to Curt Y

Curt,

I thought that was for 25,000 points. About that time, I got called an "All-Star," by Adobe, but never really considered things that closely. Besides, there are at least two other subscribers, who have many, many more points, than I do. Now, I might have the most posts, but then most were in the Video Lounge, and concerned "scary snakes."

Still, I do not think that I would use the term "All-Star" in my avatar, but that is just me.

Though I have read, and entered into many threads of the "points," and the "salami," I have to admit that I still do not quite understand all of that. I just keep plugging along, like most of us do. Maybe one day, Adobe will offer to take over the payments on my wife's car... ? Or, maybe not.

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 27, 2012 4:08 PM   in reply to Curt Y

Thanks guys.  Hey Curt, what do you think of these? 

PS_Avatar_Choice5.png

PS_Avatar_Choice6.png

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2012 4:11 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

I like the lower one! Sort of like the "gold star," that I award, when someone solves a major problem in PrPro:

Hero_Star_01.jpg

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 27, 2012 4:27 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

And maybe with certain subliminal undertones... 

BTP.png

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2012 4:37 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Sheriff Buford, eh?

Say, don't you live in the Deep Sourth, or maybe Florida? Some folk might not know who Sheriff Bufford Hayse Pusser is/was, unless they saw Joe Don Baker's, or Dwayne Johnson"s portrail, baseball bat, and all.

Now, "put down that axe (or baseball bat) Eugene... "

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2012 6:11 PM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Noel is going to be "Walking Tall"

We may have to start calling him The Enforcer.

Color Management discussions may get even more "colorful" . . .

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,972 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Feb 28, 2012 6:19 AM   in reply to Bill Hunt

Bill Hunt wrote:

I suspect he would be ripped to shreds on the Premiere Pro Hardware forum.  They don't take prisoners over there.

LOL

Trevor, Trevor, we are not THAT bad over there... well, not usually. You need to drop by the Video Lounge, to see how we "chill out."

Bill, never you.  You are the big friendly guy over there.  Some of those others come across a bit short and snappy.

I've made a few posts in the lounge, when you were talking about books that would make good films.  I didn't run into scary snakes though.  Kiwis don't do snakes, or any other nasty bitting things.  We let the Ozzies keep all those for us, bless their little hearts.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 28, 2012 6:31 AM   in reply to Bo LeBeau

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2009/8/4/128938711263632956.jpg

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 28, 2012 7:07 AM   in reply to Gernot Hoffmann

With reference to the use of Adobe product icons the position is clear - unless you're an employee you cannot use them or modify them without written permission.

As PECourtejoie says, all profile images pass through an approval gateway which we moderate on Adobe's behalf. A product logo or modification thereof should be rejected, but it depends on who's working the queue at the time. We don't police third-party IPR, so trademarks from other companies tend to be allowed (the procedure in that case is for the mark owner to file a DMCA notice).

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 28, 2012 8:58 AM   in reply to Dave Merchant

Ah yes, but there must be gray area.  Adobe cannot possibly have trademarked the characters Ps by themselves, that's too simplistic, so there has to be a stylistic cutoff.  You'll notice that my avatar is not the same as any of the Adobe icons.

I have a custom avatar change submitted for approval at the moment that takes it stylistically even further from the Adobe Ps product icon.  I assume it will either be approved or denied.  If denied, I can move it even further.  Or perhaps I will leave it as it is, which has been approved and considered acceptable for quite a long time now.

In all seriousness, consider my intent here...  I could easily have made my avatar from some of my own business graphics, and do blatent advertisement of my business, instead of trying to make my avatar in line with providing sincere Photoshop help.

-Noel

P.S., Read carefully.  The additional restrictions for modification apply only to the Adobe PDF file icon.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 28, 2012 7:51 AM   in reply to Dave Merchant

Thank God the South Park folks aren't so tough on who's ripping off their characters...

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 28, 2012 10:01 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

FYI, my updated choice has been approved as you can see over on the left.  To help with the confusion and emotional needs of all who venture here, I no longer consider myself a "Ps Expert".

Since having dropped my "Expert" label I guess it's only logical I start posting such things as "there's only one right way to do that" and (one of my favorites) "to get color-management working just keep pressing whatever buttons you can find until things look right". 

Thanks for everyone's input.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 28, 2012 10:31 AM   in reply to Gernot Hoffmann

And not a one of those guidelines was ever violated.  Imagine that.

Just keep pressing whatever buttons, Gernot.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,052 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Feb 28, 2012 10:33 AM   in reply to Gernot Hoffmann

Gernot, I picture your avatar with artful equations... What would you chose?

Thanks, Noel I hope that there won't be any confusion from now on... (I hope that we won't get a DCMA notice from the NAPP, now )

BTW, the mention of others was not made to disparage anyone, or you, but to raise the fact that the real expert is the hive mind of this place.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 28, 2012 10:34 AM   in reply to Pierre Courtejoie

Bzzzzzzzzzzz! 

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 28, 2012 11:41 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Aww, you caved, man...

000123.jpg

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,534 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 28, 2012 12:56 PM   in reply to TLL...

I have been assimilated.  Resistance was futile.

http://cdn.gunaxin.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/RobotChicken.jpg

-Noel

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points