Skip navigation
JJfutbol
Currently Being Moderated

Sharing Violation: Editing CSS files

Sep 7, 2006 7:04 AM

I used Dreamweaver 8 for my XHTML/CSS and ColdFusion development. Whenever I work locally I have CF setup so I just run my CFM files from DW8 by hitting F12 to view them in Firefox. The CFM files that link to a CSS file is what I edit and save while viewing my pages in Firefox as well. Lets say I have user.cfm viewable in my browser. I edit and save any changes to the file in DW8 just fine with no errors and I can hit F5 to refresh my browser and see my changes, but thats not the case with CSS files. Whenever I edit a CSS file that CFM file I'm viewing is using and then try to save it I can't as I get a sharing violation error. This has really started to get on my nerves and is driving me up the wall as I'm a designer and not just a developer. I hate having to close the tab with the CFM page I'm viewing in Firefox, wait several seconds, and then save my CSS file in DW8 and then hit F12 on the CFM file again. I have to do this everytime but no idea why I get that sharing violation error. Anyone has had anything similar?? Any idea how to get rid of it?? It only happens to me with CSS files.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 21, 2007 11:07 PM   in reply to JJfutbol
    I'm having the same problem, has there been any solution since previous post.

In DW8, I have 2 files open, somefile.cfm and cssfile.css (file names irrelevant) and also have IE open with the page somefile.cfm (so that I can preview the changes just by hitting F5). I can make changes to the CFM file, save it and hit F5 in IE and all OK, BUT when I make any changes to the CSS file and try to save it, it comes up with the error "A Sharing violation occurred while access C:\path-to-file\cssfile.css".

The only way around it is to close IE and the CFM file, wait, then save the CSS, then reopen IE (or F12) etc. This is extremely annoying. Anyone got any ideas???

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 10, 2007 4:10 AM   in reply to JJfutbol
    Has there been any updates on this?? It is still happening as mentioned above and ONLY when using Coldfusion. It seems that Coldfusion is locking the CSS file. I've tried it in IE, FF, Opera - all with the same results when trying to re-edit the CSS and trying to save it. I also do quite a bit with PHP and do not have these issues at all. Maybe I should stick with PHP!

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 31, 2007 10:02 PM   in reply to JJfutbol
    Does anyone know if there has been an update on this as yet??? It definately looks as though it is Dreamweaver (CS3 & even DW 8 prior) that is locking the file from being saved but ONLY when the site is set to Coldfusion. It even occurs when the CSS file is the only one open in DW.

When this error occurred I closed DW and edited the CSS file in Notepad, refreshed the browser, made another change to the CSS and saved OK, refresh browser - and so on...

It is really, really getting frustrating making changes to the CSS and having to wait about a minute before being able to save it - not very productive! I was under the impression that DW and CF should go hand-in-hand. As mentioned above, this doesn't happen when I do a site using DW and PHP.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2008 12:44 AM   in reply to iSaid
    JJfutbol wrote:
    > I wish someone would look at this. It's frustrating that this has continued to
    > go on and nothing has been done about it. I've unfortunately had to move away
    > from doing development on DW8. I've always preferred that environment for how
    > they handle tag and function insight and completion but I'm on a Mac now and
    > been using Coda. I'm hoping someone will see this and act on it if possible.
    > It's hard to work in DW since I do both ColdFusion and front end on all
    > projects. Not just here and there.
    >

This is a user to user forum, if you want Adobe to help you, use the
    Support website and submit a support request.

Steve

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2008 2:44 AM   in reply to JJfutbol
    The support website seems to be a payable services - is this correct or am I clicking on the wrong links? If it is, I have to pay Adobe another $175US to fix a problem that shouldn't be there to start with?

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2008 2:49 AM   in reply to JJfutbol
    iSaid wrote:
    > The support website seems to be a payable services - is this correct or am I
    > clicking on the wrong links? If it is, I have to pay Adobe another $175US to
    > fix a problem that shouldn't be there to start with?
    >

Have you registered your Dreamweaver? Once registered go to
    http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/ and click on Open a Customer
    Service Web Case and login, follow instructions and you should be fine.

I am a little surprised at the cost of support incidents, I wasn't aware
    that you had to pay. I have got help several times using the above
    methods without being asked to pay for anything.

Steve

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 3, 2008 3:42 AM   in reply to JJfutbol
    You are entitled to 3 no-charge support incidents when you buy DW. The only
    proviso is that you use them within 90 days of each other. The clock
    doesn't start ticking until you use the first.

--
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    Adobe Community Expert
    (If you *MUST* email me, don't LAUGH when you do so!)
    ==================
    http://www.projectseven.com/go - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
    http://www.dwfaq.com - DW FAQs, Tutorials & Resources
    ==================

"Dooza" <doozadooza@gmail.com> wrote in message
    news:flieka$s4j$1@forums.macromedia.com...
    > iSaid wrote:
    >> The support website seems to be a payable services - is this correct or
    >> am I clicking on the wrong links? If it is, I have to pay Adobe another
    >> $175US to fix a problem that shouldn't be there to start with?
    >>
    >
    > Have you registered your Dreamweaver? Once registered go to
    > http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/ and click on Open a Customer Service
    > Web Case and login, follow instructions and you should be fine.
    >
    > I am a little surprised at the cost of support incidents, I wasn't aware
    > that you had to pay. I have got help several times using the above methods
    > without being asked to pay for anything.
    >
    > Steve

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2008 10:02 AM   in reply to JJfutbol
    If you're using ColdFusion, go into the ColdFusion administrator and under Server Settings -> Caching set Maximum number of cached templates to 0.

Adam Soltys
    http://www.adamsoltys.com/

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2008 6:24 AM   in reply to asoltys
    I am using Vista Ultimate and ColdFusion 8 and have encountered the "Sharing Violation" constantly when updating CSS files. Thanks for the hint on the fix by setting the maximum number of cached templates to zero...I tried it but was still getting the error message.

I went the other way and set the number to 10,000 and it is working perfectly now.

Cheers.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 29, 2008 7:06 PM   in reply to CongoSoda
    I had this same issue, but I wasn't running ColdFusion.

I opened my page in firefox. Then I opened up the corresponding css file in Dreamweaver CS3 (WinXP) and got the sharing violation error when trying to save.

I closed both firefox and dreamweaver. I then opened up the css file in dreamweaver and was able to save. I opened up the html file in firefox again and was still able to save the css file in dreamweaver. I tried to reproduce the bug, but no luck.

This is really wierd behavior and I'm surprised it hasn't gotten more of a response from Adobe.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 16, 2008 4:44 AM   in reply to JJfutbol
    Still happening even with CF8 now. Edit CSS, preview in browser, edit again then can not save (sharing violation). I have changed the CFAdmin cached templates to 0 and even 10,000 (as CongoSoda mentioned above), but still nothing. I'm thinking the problem seems to be with using both DW and CF together as I tried doing the same thing but instead of editing the CSS in DW, I edited it in Notepad, and could save the css every time.

I have now also noticed that I can not FTP the CSS file to the webserver once the sharing violation has happened. I have to Stop the CF Server running on my local machine, then I can FTP the file. The same with images, if I preview the webpage in the browser, make a change to an image, I can not save it - Fireworks comes up with an "internal error", but if I stop CF, I can then save the file. Editing, previewing, editing .cfm files isn't a problem.

It's not really productive when you have to wait a few minutes before you can save a CSS file, or have to stop CF server to upload them.

|
    Mark as:
    May 8, 2008 5:56 PM   in reply to JJfutbol
    I'm new to CF but I've been running DW CS3 w/CF8 (Dev.Ed) for a month now, editing my CSS files heavily with no problem - until about 10 minutes ago.

I've found this problem posted on other web sites too, but haven't seen a sure-fire solution. Sure hope my DW isn't going to be crippled from now on!

PS: I did install Firefox 2.0.0.14 about two hours before the problem appeared and have been testing my CSS with it and IE 6 simultaneously since then.

Update: I shut down Firefox but still couldn't save. I shut down IE6 but still no joy. Finally shut down the CF8 Application Server (My Computer/Manage/Services) and was able to save the file.

|
    Mark as:
    May 12, 2008 6:21 PM   in reply to JJfutbol
    Well I too tried changing/setting/resetting the settings in CFAdmin - to no avail. The only thing that works - aside from re-starting the Coldfusion Application Server - is clicking the CFAdmin "Clear Template Cache Now" button 1-3 times. Finally, I just decided to edit the file with Notepad.

About half an hour ago, Dreamweaver began giving me the error with my *other* CSS file. One-by-one, Dreamweaver is kicking out my files!

As far as I can tell, Firefox is completely innocent. Perhaps the problem is that the newly-rejected CSS file uses an @import tag to include the rejected-last-week CSS file. Then again, perhaps the same fate awaits my other files once I've finished working on the CSS files!

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 5, 2008 10:51 AM   in reply to JJfutbol
    found an answer: might not be 'your' solution but it worked for me.

my situation was that i began working with .html files and could edit fine...up until i previewed (F12) the page.
    then it would show the sharing error during any save.

Renaming the .html file to a .cfm stopped the error from occuring.

I can only guess that IIS was getting launched and conflicting with coldfusion 8.

hope this helps someone.

|
    Mark as:
    Dec 9, 2008 7:10 AM   in reply to MAW31
    Been having this same problem off and on for a month or so. Driving me completely nuts!

I'm running CF 8/DW CS3. This seemed to fix the problem (for now anyway):

1. Log-in to administrator

2. Go to Server Settings > Caching

3. Un-check "Save Class Files".

Apparently Adobe recommends you have "Save Class Files" off for development work. Hope this helps.

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 12, 2009 9:22 AM   in reply to Chandler

Darn, this doesn't work for me. I've seen many other suggestions (clear cache, reduce number of cached file, etc.) in other posts - all seem to work for some people but i haven't found one that works every time for me except to logoff the administrator TWICE - this is foolproof but is a real pain to do every time you want to preview your file.

|
    Mark as:
    Jul 19, 2010 11:58 PM   in reply to JJfutbol

Any updates on this?  I'm now using DW CS5 and it's still happening (CF8).  I have to click "Clear Template Cache Now" within CF Admin 2-3 times just to save the CSS file so that I can preview it (not very productive).  I've also checked that "Save Class Files" is NOT checked and all other option (under Server Settings - Caching) are also unchecked.

I'm convinced it's DW locking the files and not CF as I can made changes to the CSS file and save them in NotePad or Eclipse without a problem - BUT I like to use DW.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2012 7:06 AM   in reply to iSaid

Okay, so now a problem that was originally noted in 2006 is still plaguing us in 2012. I have tried all the fixes recommended and still cannot get it to work. I want to use Dreamweaver for my development efforts but will switch to Eclipse if I can't find a solution. I have changed all the settings in my ColdFusion administrator and even deleted the caches but still cannot edit a css file in Dreamweaver. What is up with this issue?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points