Skip navigation
The great dog Chippie
Currently Being Moderated

Burn Project

Jan 18, 2012 2:00 AM

Ok here goes:

I shot a 2 minute video in Pal 1080i.  I then edited the video using the Pal 1080i widescreen settings.

Now I want to burn the movie to a DVD and send the video to  America. I am in Australia.

Here is the Question:

If I send the video to America, will it play on any PC?

If I send the Movie to America, will it play on any DVD Player?

If it will not play on DVD players, because the video is created in Pal and most players in America play only NTSC, can I output or share the Pal created video as an NTSC video, ( this is an option under Share for premier elements 10), then burn it as an NTSC video and send it to America feeling confident that it will play on a NTSC  DVD player, without quality issues compromising the video?

Thanks

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 18, 2012 4:51 AM   in reply to The great dog Chippie

You can not play PAL DVDs on DVD players in the US, Chippie.

The best way to share a video with your friends here is to create a computer file -- which is universal and doesn't have to be NTSC or PAL compliant.

If you're using version 10 of the program, you'll find a number of great options for creating a quality MP4 under Share/Computer/AVCHD. You can even burn these to a disc if you'd like. They just can't be played on a DVD or BluRay player. They can only be played on a computer.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2012 6:16 AM   in reply to The great dog Chippie

There is no smooth way to convert PAL to NTSC. You can give it a try though. The results (because of the difference in frame rates) can be iffy.

A WebDVD creates a web site with menus and videos whose interface resembles a DVD.

Burning an AVCHD simply creates a single video file with no menus.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 29, 2012 10:55 AM   in reply to The great dog Chippie

OK - so your will be down-rezzing your HD clip to DVD Quality. So what you might try is to do everything in PAL then at the end Share the timeline to a DV file. Once you have the DV file you can try converting it to NTSC using DVdate. DVdate is often recommended in these forums for creating individual clips according to date, but it also lists the following feature.

check01_green.gif convert a DV file from Pal to NTSC or reciprocally: it is useful to make a DVD in NTSC format with a camcorder in DV Pal.

Got to be worth a try.

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 26, 2012 9:24 PM   in reply to The great dog Chippie

All region and NTSC vs PAL are not the same thing

Regions are a sales tool, so a disc meant to be sold in Australia may not be played in any other region

NTSC vs PAL is two different standards, just like you may not put a Beta tape in a VHS player

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2012 6:43 AM   in reply to The great dog Chippie

Also, Regions are ONLY for replicated discs, i.e. when one sends the Project out to a commercial replication house, to have a glass master created, and used to stamp the discs, rather than burn them. There purpose is exactly as John T. points out - limiting the play to a specific Region.

I do not believe that PrE has a setting for Regions, as it is not really designed to create a DLT, or similar, for replication, and only for burning. Adobe Encore does have the setting for Regions, BUT again only for replication, and if set, this can cause the Burn to error out, as Regions are not allowed on burned discs.

The PAL/NTSC are for the TV standards in various countries, and refer to the pixel x pixel Frame Size, plus the FPS difference between those two TV standards. The FPS is reflective of the Hz, Cycles per second, of the electrical system, with 60Hz for the US, and 50Hz for most European countries.

Now, most newer PAL DVD decks, can also play a well-burned NTSC disc, but very few NTSC decks can also play PAL discs. Older PAL decks usually cannnot play NTSC disc though.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2012 7:14 AM   in reply to The great dog Chippie

Amazon summarise it quite well at http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/customer/display.html?ie=UTF8&nodeId=5 02554

Now you and I, being from PAL land usually have an easy task - almost any new DVD Player and TV is going to also be NTSC compatible. And, if the DVD Player should be locked, then there is an extraordinarily high likelihood that you can enter a code with the remote to make it region-free.

Now North America is the opposite. I believe that very little equipment sold in NA is capable of playing / displaying PAL DVDs.

Anyway - this is what Amazon say about it.

#

DVD Regions

DVD Regions | Region 1 DVDs sold by our Marketplace sellers | Regional Coding Enhancement (RCE) | Global DVD region countries | Blu-ray Discs Region Encoding | High-Density (HD) Discs Region Encoding

#

DVD Regions

The DVD region code identifies a DVD's compatibility with the players typically sold in a particular region.

The following graphic shows the approximate location of each region. Click here for an approximate list of countries that fall into each region:

DVD regions map

Region 0 (or "region free") is compatible with DVD players from any region, depending on relevant hardware. Region 0 titles can be either NTSC (generally if they originate from the US) or PAL format (originating from within the EU).

The majority of all current titles play only in one specific region unless otherwise noted. DVDs sold by Amazon.co.uk are encoded for Region 2 or Region 0. Region 2 DVDs may not work on DVD players in other countries.

#

Region 1 DVDs sold by our Marketplace sellers

Region 1 discs are intended for use with standard DVD players in North America (Canada and the USA). In most instances they can also be played on compatible "multi-region" DVD players (also known as "chipped" or "region-free" players).

They also require an NTSC-compatible television. NTSC is the standard picture format in North America, and differs from the PAL format adopted in Britain and Europe. Region 1 DVDs are usually presented in NTSC format, so you should ensure that your TV is capable of reading the NTSC signal before purchasing Region 1 DVDs.

#

Regional Coding Enhancement (RCE)

Regional Coding Enhancement (RCE) has been added by some film studios (specifically Warner and Columbia) to selected Region 1 DVDs, with the intention of preventing these discs from playing on some multi-region DVD players. We are therefore unable to guarantee that all Region 1 discs will be compatible with all multi-region players.

Finally, although the reverse to you, my Sony stills camera is an import and records NTSC. I was VERY pleased with the way PRE converted this to PAL for me. However NTSC -> PAL is throwing away frames. The other way PRE has to add frames which may be more noticeable. I suggest you try with a small clip first to see how well it will do it.

Cheers,

--

Neale

Insanity is hereditary, you get it from your children

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2012 7:36 AM   in reply to nealeh

Yes, European PAL-land seems to now have the "best of both worlds," but in NTSC-land, we are rather stuck with having to do conversions, and those do not always look good, or work well. Poor us (or maybe that should read, "poor US.).

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points