Skip navigation
Pamvphoto
Currently Being Moderated

Lens Correction Manual Slider Bug!

Feb 26, 2012 8:15 PM

Hello,

I've been having a problem with the Lens correction Manual Sliders. Constrain Crop selected.

The vertical and horizontal sliders are behaving more like the distortion slider.

When sliding left or right they are pulling from the center, rather than the right or left end.

Also, with the scale slider....If I scale down it shifts to the right. when I reset all the sliders to zero.

The image doe not reset to its original position.

Is this something that the Lightroom 4 team is aware of?

One all the bugs are fixed I look forward to its release! Your hard work on this software is appreciated!

Best, Pam

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 26, 2012 10:29 PM   in reply to Pamvphoto

HI,

Not really except that it will crash every time I "scale" a pic to 50 (i.e. move it as far to the left. Actually this is repeatable all the time so I suspect they already know about it.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2012 7:26 AM   in reply to Pamvphoto

The vertical and horizontal sliders are behaving more like the distortion slider.

When sliding left or right they are pulling from the center, rather than the right or left end.

Well, they *are* distortion sliders (sort of), leaving the very center of the photo unchanged. This has not changed from LR3. I can see no bug there. Also keep in mind that the visual effect is very different from wide angle photos to tele photos. Photos made with a tele lens are more or less just changed in the aspect ratio, and not so much distorted like wide angle photos.

Also, with the scale slider....If I scale down it shifts to the right.

This can happen if you used the horizontal slider before, combined with "Constrain Crop" - because the usable part of the photo shifts to one side or another. In the same way, scaling will shift up/down if one used the vertical slider before. This is perfectly normal. Hint: Try the vertical and horizontal sliders independently, with scaling set to 50 (minimum) and "Constrain Crop" *OFF* to see what they do with the photo - that made it a lot clearer to me how they work.

when I reset all the sliders to zero. The image doe not reset to its original position.

Also normal, because if you reset the manual corrections after working with "Constrain Crop" enabled, only the manual corrections themselves are reset, leaving the crop&straighten tool at some "funny" settings. Go to crop&straighten and reset it, too.

In conclusion, I see no bugs here. I also fiddled with the various manual sliders, and could not see any behaviour that was different to LR3, which has no bugs in this respect as far as I know...

P.S. I am not sure if I quoted the last question correctly or not. I assume these two sentences belong together?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2012 12:20 PM   in reply to BKKDon

I have been suffering from repeated crashing when using the Lens  Correction sliders.  It used to be the Scale slider if I scaled down below about 90 but yesterday it also crashed when using the Vertical slider.  Often it crashes as soon as the programme has been reopened.

Norfolk Lad.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 28, 2012 4:00 AM   in reply to Norfolk lad

Yes, same behaviour as soon as I get this "problematic" image in D module. To avoid this, I reset adjustments in Library and then retry the entire process in Development module, but in another way. This seems to work but I don't know where the crash is coming from ?

I never had it with LR3 (of course on same system, MAC OSX 10.7.3).

Cheers.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 28, 2012 4:34 AM   in reply to Pamvphoto

I'd like some clarification from Adobe as to whether they've actually changed the way the transforms are done as LR4 seems to be much more aggressive with the transformation from LR3. I have seen a noticeable difference, especiallly when I push the vertical transformation much above 10 points, then it really begins to over distort.

I've wondered if LR3, the transformation was not only keystoning the image, but also a little stretching to prevent a building from getting too squashed or stretched with larger values for Vertical transformation.

LR4 seems to work from the middle point and makes the changes differently.

I've also crashed LR4 wby accidently hitting the scale slider - very irritating as I never use scaling

Cheers

Hamish

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points