Skip navigation
echangcof
Currently Being Moderated

how can I reduce the file size with objects in satin effects?

Feb 27, 2012 9:39 AM

I created text boxes with satin effects to make them more attractive.  However, the file size is more than double than without the satin effect.  Also, it won't let me optimize / downsample in PDF.  Please help.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 27, 2012 10:14 AM   in reply to echangcof

Yes, if you use that kind of an effect, you're creating a transparent object with a rasterized background. The size will depend a lot of file PDF Preset you're using. How are you using the PDF output? (Smallest File size worked well for me in keeping the file size down.)

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2012 10:16 AM   in reply to echangcof

"Satin" and its related cousins are bitmap effects, and also might use transparency -- the latter will increase the file size if you export to the lowest possible Acrobat PDF version but should not be that extreme for later versions.

Since it is a bitmap effect, there is not much you can do. Is your file size 1-1 related to the number of occurrences of this effect? If you only use it once, is the file just a tad bigger?

You could try to create the effect in an external file (Illustrator, or even another InDesign file that you place as image). InDesign ought to do better if it "sees" the same image is used a couple of times.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2012 3:59 PM   in reply to echangcof

Hi,

Best way I found to bring PDF sizes down when you have transparencies on the Indesign page is to take the images into photoshop and flatten them there, saving them as a TIF file and placing that back into indesign to replace your original files. Took one file I was working on from 5mb PDF down to a 1.6mb PDF, without noticable image quality loss.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points