Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

can you recommend a laptop/notebook to buy for my CS5 On Location

Feb 27, 2012 11:31 AM

I am having trouble with the laptop/notebook that I am purchasing for recording my Panasonic AG-DVX100b with my CS5 On Location software. The standard firewire 1394 has the 4-pin comming from the camera inserting into the computer which is a 6-pin, same as my HP Z400 workstation which is OHCI-compliant 1394 for HDV capture. Most of the laptops come with the 4-pin firewire or I need to convert to the purchase of a carbus that inserts into the computer which then gives me the 6-pin port. What is a good computer to buy with the 6-pin OHCI-comploant firewire port already built into that computer? Or should I just buy a computer with the 4-pin and either buy the conversion or cable adapter?

Thanks!

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 27, 2012 4:02 PM   in reply to TD PRODUCTIONS

Moving this discussion to the OnLocation forums.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2012 11:14 PM   in reply to TD PRODUCTIONS

I've never seen a laptop with a 6 pin connection.

Just go ahead and buy a 4 pin to 4 pin cable.  It's what we use.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 10, 2012 4:53 AM   in reply to Jim Simon

Jim Simon wrote:

I've never seen a laptop with a 6 pin connection.

Check out the Dell Precision M 6600.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 14, 2012 8:57 AM   in reply to TD PRODUCTIONS

I'm not sure about CS5, but in OnLocation CS5.5 you cannot record anything without first disabling/uninstalling any integrated webcam. This is a known bug but with OnLocation being replaced by Prelude, I wouldn't hold your breath for a fix. The work around gets annoying really fast. This bug almost cost me $400 on multiple occasions. I've been thinking about going back to CS4 just because of this bug. Good Luck.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 16, 2012 7:37 AM   in reply to wolverine.ks

Since the bug was introduced in the 5.0.1 update, you don't need to roll all the back to CS4. Uninstalling OL CS5 and then reinstalling without taking the update should do the trick.

Incidentally, one tidbit of good news for OnLocation users: PPRO CS6 will see OL's comment markers.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points