Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

how to insert text with a background color?

Feb 27, 2012 12:45 PM

Tags: #photoshop #text_background

Hi,

I need to insert text over some mottled regions so I want to insert black text with a white background. I can't find a way to give the text a background color. I can do this with Powerpoint and Visio, so why not with Photoshop? My Photoshop manual makes no mention of this.

So far I was able to copy a white region in the background layer and drag it to the place where I need it on the text layer, but that seems klutzy to me.

I'm using Photoshop CS (8.0).

Yours,

Michael F

========

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 27, 2012 1:03 PM   in reply to Michael314

So far I was able to copy a white region in the background layer and drag it to the place where I need it on the text layer, but that seems klutzy to me.

That's probably as accurate as you'll get with PS and text.

Another option would be to play around with the Outer Glow effect which might give you something close to what you desire.

outer_glow.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2012 1:52 PM   in reply to Michael314

Hi Michael.

Add a white Stroke effect to the text.  Click on highlighted icon to add effects to text, selections, or layers.

STRK.JPG

Peace,

Lee

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,480 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 27, 2012 3:29 PM   in reply to Michael314

To take what these other guys have said a little further...   You could do something tricky like this:

Put in your text, put a big thick stroke around it, draw a rectangular path around it, then set a vector layer mask...  You'll have to remember to set the [ ] Vector Mask Hides Effects option.

TextBackground1.jpg

TextBackground2.jpg

TextBackground3.jpg

TextBackground4.jpg

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
  • Trevor Dennis
    5,880 posts
    May 24, 2010
    Feb 27, 2012 6:28 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

If I am overlaying text across a multicoloured BG and need something to contrast against, I use a semi transparent tone that lets some of the BG show through.  It just looks more professional than a stroked outline or block of solid colour.  This would be more in a page layout application like inDesign or Publisher though.  This could be in a filled text box, but shapes work better because you can use rounded corners etc.

If you want to use Photoshop though, having laid down the text layer, you can control click its layer thumbnail to load its selection, which opens up all sorts of posibilities, like filling that selection with a picture on a different layer.  Layer styles are definitely the most convenient route to take, but you can be more creative taking a different route.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2012 9:10 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Thanks Noel again. You are great in this work.

|
    Mark as:
  • Noel Carboni
    23,480 posts
    Dec 23, 2006
    Feb 28, 2012 9:09 AM   in reply to Michael314

Sounds like the path is becoming visible...  Do you see little handles at the corners?  Those handles appear to allow you to alter the path that defines the shape (e.g., rectangle).

They won't appear in your work product.

You can hide them by making the PATHS panel visible and clicking somewhere on it other than on the path that's selected.

-Noel

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 28, 2012 9:06 AM   in reply to Michael314

That’s the shape layer surround. It will only appear if you select the shape layer. It doesn't print so don't worry about it.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points