Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Problem with ie6 displaying different to every other browser

Feb 27, 2012 10:31 AM

Tags: #html #cs5.5 #dreamweaver #css #dreamweaver_cs5 #internet_explorer #ie6 #browser_compatibility

I have just created my website and after testing with all browsers except (stupidly) ie6 it all works fine but for some reason in ie6 it displays incorrectly on this page http://www.flitecarz.co.uk/WD-Postcodes-Covered.html the part with the problem is on the right hand side where there is a quick navigation to different postcode areas. If you view it in any browser except ie6 you will see how its supposed to work.

 

If anyone can give me any help with this I will be forever in your debt as I have been racking my brains about this all day and I cant seem to find a soloution.

 

Any help with be greatly received.

 
Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 27, 2012 10:40 AM   in reply to NessaFrankling

    Others may disagree with me here but I gave up on work-arounds for ie6 about a year ago due to it's shrinking amount of users. It was taking me too much time for the workaround and fewer people were requiring it. There will be a fix for your problem, it's just whether you deem it a 'requirement'. Going on the recent stats, only 1.1% of internet users use ie6.

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 27, 2012 10:58 AM   in reply to NessaFrankling

    Before you think about workarounds for such an old browser, you could start with fixing the few validation errors in your markup. You site also breaks in IE7 as well. You can view these errors here.

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 27, 2012 11:40 AM   in reply to NessaFrankling

    Hello Nessa,

     

    here is another argument why you don't need to mourn about a possible bad presentation in this old IE6 Browser. This browser - you can say - is no longer in use. The spread is, the statistics shows it, very very low. The attached analysis from

     

    http://gs.statcounter.com/#browser_version-ww-monthly-201201-201202-ba r

     

    shows this clearly.

     

    drBrow.jpg

     

     

    And as we already said, your website looks very well in contemporary browsers.

     

    Don't worry, ...

    Hans-Günter

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 27, 2012 11:50 AM   in reply to NessaFrankling

    Not argueing the fact that IE6 is indeed all but dead, still code errors that can easily be addressed and may very well ensure the site works in even IE6 should be fixed. Not much time is needed for valid semantic code when in fact that should be our first priority and first step of debugging regardless of which browser is having issues. Closing a body tag that was never opened, or nesting divs in the head section would cause such an issue in IE in particular.

     

    So true, dont worry TOO much about IE6, but valid code might allow you to NEVER worry about any browser compliance.

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 27, 2012 12:00 PM   in reply to NessaFrankling
     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 28, 2012 2:11 AM   in reply to teedoffnewbie

    teedoffnewbie wrote:

     

     

     

    So true, dont worry TOO much about IE6, but valid code might allow you to NEVER worry about any browser compliance.

     

    Should have emphasised MIGHT rather than 'never' because unfortunately you're wrong. Validation offers zero assurance as to whether a webpage displays correctly in ANY browser.

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 28, 2012 2:31 AM   in reply to NessaFrankling

    NessaFrankling wrote:

     

    Hi guys thanks for your replys however I am quite pickey and really would like this to work and I know it can as it was working previously but obviously I have changed something with out realising.

     

    The main reason for needing this to work is I have a few people here who use internet explorer 6 and I know i can get them to upgrade but that just shows me that people do use it. If anyone can spot what I have done wrong that would be amazing. I have validated both my CSS and my HTML and still no luck.

     

    Add style="clear: both;" to the 'colMid' <div> as shown below: (or add clear: both; to the css)

     

    <div class="colMid" style="clear: both;">

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 28, 2012 2:31 AM   in reply to NessaFrankling

    Hi Nessa,

     

    "to be picky or not picky" appears to be a question too. And I quite understand!

     

    BUT please read this very telling article to make an informed assessment: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Explorer_6. I'm sure you will not waste or disperse your resources and efforts after reading (Please excuse me for my frank statement.)

     

    And I would again point to the graph above in section 3: IE6 is located at the very lowest level (less than 6%, trending down), it is practically dead!

     

    Hans-Günter

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 28, 2012 2:34 AM   in reply to hans-g.

    hans-g. wrote:

     

    Hi Nessa,

     

    "to be picky or not picky" appears to be a question too. And I quite understand!

     

    BUT please read this very telling article to make an informed assessment: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Explorer_6. I'm sure you will not waste or disperse your resources and efforts after reading (Please excuse me for my frank statement.)

     

    And I would again point to the graph above in section 3: IE6 is located at the very lowest level (less than 6%, trending down), it is practically dead!

     

    Hans-Günter

     

    Unfortunately it threw the same wobbly in IE7 as well, at least when viewed in browser lab......so that needed to be addressed. Addressing that also sorted out IE6.

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 28, 2012 2:42 AM   in reply to osgood_

    Hi osgood_,

     

    please have a look to http://gs.statcounter.com/#browser_version-ww-monthly-201201-201202. It's no difference (the courses are nearly the same).

     

    Sincerely

    Hans-Günter

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 28, 2012 2:49 AM   in reply to NessaFrankling

    Hi Nessa,

     

    your "needed a fresh pair of eyes" encouraged me: How often does that happen to me, but if someone else looks at the code, he can often see the muddle at a glance!

     

     

    Hans-Günter

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 28, 2012 3:01 AM   in reply to hans-g.

    hans-g. wrote:

     

    Hi osgood_,

     

    please have a look to http://gs.statcounter.com/#browser_version-ww-monthly-201201-201202. It's no difference (the courses are nearly the same).

     

    Sincerely

    Hans-Günter

     

    IE7 has about 3.5% and IE 6 1.75% looking at the stats. Personally I still feel IE7 is worth supporting at the moment. I no longer 'deliberately' support IE6 but what I write usually works in that browser without much support effort being involved.

     

    Its up to the individual when they feel its no longer a requirement to support a browser version.

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 28, 2012 3:18 AM   in reply to osgood_

    Hi,

     

    it would be quite illogical if one would thus prevent "Its up to the individual when ..." I never would like to patronize anyone, logo?Unfortunately, it sounds sometimes different, the spoken word when written.

     

    Hans-Günter

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 28, 2012 7:33 AM   in reply to osgood_

    osgood_ wrote:

     

    teedoffnewbie wrote:

     

     

     

    So true, dont worry TOO much about IE6, but valid code might allow you to NEVER worry about any browser compliance.

     

    Should have emphasised MIGHT rather than 'never' because unfortunately you're wrong. Validation offers zero assurance as to whether a webpage displays correctly in ANY browser.

    lol I did say might, just didn't emphasize it.... but maybe I worded it wrong. When faced with differences in the way different browsers render a document, the FIRST step should always be validate your code. This will rule out invalid code as the culprit and in the long run, valid code is a great way to HELP ensure cross browser compliance. This of course includes a valid doctype and one that is FULLY supported as of current W3C standards.

     
    |
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 28, 2012 7:36 AM   in reply to teedoffnewbie

    teedoffnewbie wrote:

     

    lol I did say MIGHT.... Maybe I worded it wrong. When faced with differences in the way different browsers render a document, the FIRST step should always be validate your code. This will rule out invalid code as the culprit and in the long run, valid code is a great way to HELP ensure cross browser compliance. This of course includes a valid doctype and one that is FULLY supported as of current W3C standards.

     

    HELP is a better word. My take is you should be writing code that contains very few errors. If you do that the page will display x-brower validation or no validation.

     
    |
    Mark as:

More Like This

  • Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

  • 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points