Skip navigation
McLaren89
Currently Being Moderated

"Access denied" when burning Blu Ray

Jan 17, 2012 10:16 PM

I am using Premiere Elements 7 and trying to burn a blu-ray.  Everything looks normal during the encoding until the burn gets to the "burning disc" phase.  I keep getting an "Access denied" error with no further explanation.  I have looked at solutions online but nothing seems to have worked.  Based on the recommended solutions, I have tried burning the disc with these parameters:

1.     running Premiere Elements as Administrator

2.     burner drivers up to date

3.     burning a 6.8GB movie with 80+GB available on HDD

4.     virus protection turned off

5.     no other programs running

6.     tried two seperate blank discs

The crazy things is, I have burned two similar sized blu-ray discs before without any issue.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 18, 2012 4:57 AM   in reply to McLaren89

Unfortunately, these kinds of issues are system-specific -- in other words, they're unique to your computer because of your antivirus or firewall settings or because of the presence of a intrusive program like Nero -- and there is no universal fix. Somebody usually needs to sit down at your computer and troubleshoot.

The easiest solution is to use Premiere Elements to edit your video and output the finished video using Share/Computer/MPEG with the 1440x1080 30i output setting and do your DVD or BluRay authoring in a third-party program.

Sony's DVD Architect Studio 5 can author and burn both DVDs and BluRay discs and it's mere $39 for the download. I love it because it not only works virtually bug-free but it also includes many more advanced features like multiple menu layers, more advanced menu page design, the ability to add video before and in between menu pages and the ability to burn both DVD and BluRay files to your computer for later burning to disc. It's really a great investment -- and it's much easier than struggling with the challenges you're facing with Premiere Elements' disc burning tools.

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 18, 2012 6:58 AM   in reply to McLaren89

Welcome to the forum.

You mention that the burner's drivers are up to date, but what about the firmware?

What brand of blank media are you using?

In Device Manager, are there any error or warning messages that appear with this burner?

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 19, 2012 9:22 AM   in reply to McLaren89

Thank you for that info.

2.     The burner firmware appears to be up to date as my computer is showing a "Firmware" check for the drive and it says that it is up to date.

Just to make sure of the firmware, I'd also go the mfgr's. Web site and check for that model. Like with video drivers, some utilities and even Windows, can be very wrong. I always double check for drivers, or firmware, from the mfgr. Yours is probably up to date, but it will only take a moment to verify.

3.     I am using e-blue Professional BD-R 25GB discs, as I had done for my previous succesful burns.

I am not familiar with that brand, but in the case of some other suppliers, like Memorex, the newer TDK and newer Ritek, the current "business model" is to buy the cheapest discs that day, and rebrand them. What can happen is that in a spindle of 100, there might be discs from 3 - 4 different mfgrs., and one might get a dozen good discs, only to hit a dozen bad discs, then another dozen good discs.

There are several good utilities, that will survey the blank media, and tell who acutally made it, plus the lot number. I use the utility built into the great, free ImgBurn burning utility, and it's surprising to see who actually made, say a Memorex disc.

On my end, that is about all that I can think of, and I admit that I am rather grasping at straws, but it is very likely that others will have some really useful info for you to troubleshoot things.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2012 3:07 AM   in reply to McLaren89

Hi,

I think some other software is using you burner.

Please restart you system and try.

Thanks,

Pankaj Gauba

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 16, 2012 8:02 AM   in reply to McLaren89

I do NOT know if this will do BluRay, but it is free to go look

Free alternative http://www.deskshare.com/dvd-authoring-burning-software.aspx

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 28, 2012 7:36 AM   in reply to McLaren89

If other software is hooking the burner, that would be at bootup, and if you have any packet-writing software installed, it is launched with the initial core of Windows, and will seize the burner, telling the OS that it is really a removable HDD. PrE looks to the OS for instructions on the burner, but if the OS reports there is no burner, but only a removable HDD, PrE is lost.

The program that John T. mentions, looks at the hardware through APTI, and ignores what the OS tells it. It could well be that the other editing program also looks at things from the hardware level. This ARTICLE goes into more detail, and lists some programs, that can get in the way.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 1, 2012 2:17 AM   in reply to McLaren89

Try one more thing.

Run Premiere Elements as Administrator.

Steps -

1. Right click on Adobe Premiere Elements exe

2. Click on "Run as Administrator"

3. After launching Premiere Elements, Export your project to Blu ray.

Thanks,

Pankaj Gauba

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 21, 2012 8:19 AM   in reply to McLaren89

The first place that I would start would be Control Panel>System>Hardware>Device Manager (or similar syntax, depending on one's OS version). Check what Device Manager has to say about the multi-drive/burner.

To see what is being loaded, at bootup, go to Start>Run and type "MSCONFIG" (without the quotation marks. Look Check both Services and Startup. Almost any program, that is likely to "hook" the burner, ahead of PrE, will be in the list somewhere.

Going back to the software listed in that article, I noticed one little tid-bit, when troubleshooting another's problem. In their case, they had used Quicken's Backup to Disk once, and long ago. However, from that one use, Windows Burner was invoked and told to treat the multi-drive/burner as a CD burner w/ packet-writing capabilities. That setting "stuck," afterwards. Until that point, I would never have thought about Quicken (though I have used it, from when it was a $ 10 shareware program), but had never used their Backup to Disk and chosen a CD. I always did my backups to a series of diskettes, then ZIP drives and finally to HDD. After that troubleshooting session, I had Jeff Bellune add Quicken (under certain conditions) to the list of suspect software. I have only seen that as a cause once again.

As I have never invoked Windows' burning module, I really do not know much about it - just the two Quicken episodes. Maybe Steve, Neale, John T., or others, will know more about it.

Good luck,

Hunt

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points