• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

iOS app crashes on return from cameraUI - a memory allocation problem?

Participant ,
Nov 24, 2011 Nov 24, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey all

trying to finish my first app

when running on iOS, the app SOMETIMES crashes after returning from cameraUI (either "use"/MediaEvent.COMPLETE or "cancel"/Event.CANCEL).

when i exit some other running apps on my iPhone 3Gs (and not that many are open), the problem goes away, which makes me think this is some memory allocation problem

in that aspect, can i trust the iOS to exit inactive applications to allocate more memory for my, currently active, AIR app?

(there is no memory leak)

this is an iPhone 3Gs running os version 4.3.5

the app was made with Flash Pro 5.5 overlayed with the AIR 3.1 sdk, and deployed using the "deploy for app store" type (which should be the most bug-free)

(no crashes on Android or desktop versions)

anyone had this cameraUI problem or a similar one where an app crashes if more then some numbers of apps are open?

thanx

Saar

TOPICS
Development

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 27, 2011 Nov 27, 2011

Hi,

Thanks for reporting the bug. This issue is known to us and it is currently under investigation. As far as I know, there is no workaround.

Regards,

Sanika

Votes

Translate

Translate
Participant ,
Nov 27, 2011 Nov 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

allright,

i will broaden the question

has anyone had an iOS AIR app frequently crash (no errors in the debug) and did something to cure this?

thanx again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 27, 2011 Nov 27, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for reporting the bug. This issue is known to us and it is currently under investigation. As far as I know, there is no workaround.

Regards,

Sanika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 28, 2011 Nov 28, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sanika, is there anything like the Flex SDK nightly builds but for the AIR SDK?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 18, 2011 Dec 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hey sanika,

any ideas when will this be fixed?

this bug is now holding me back from uploading a completed app to the store...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 18, 2011 Dec 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi saariko,

Unfortunately, I cannot commit on a release date. The bug is still open for investigation. I will keep you posted if there is any change in the status.

Thanks for your patience.

Sanika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 25, 2011 Dec 25, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Is there any way to track this bug?

My app is now delayed for app store upload too.

thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 30, 2011 Dec 30, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to get an update on this - or even some guidelines on how to minimize crashes.

I also have an app submission been delayed by this.

Sean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 04, 2012 Jan 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately I've found the performance of CameraUI in flex mobile nearly unusable, even when it doesn't crash.

So I've had to port this app over to Appcelerator, and runs *alot* faster.

Not to say i've given up on Flex Mobile, i still have other apps built on it, but the performance with the Camera / Camera Rolls is horrible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 04, 2012 Jan 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am about to make the same decision - probablt phonegap. I've spent days trying to get stability - even wrote an ANE to make converting to jpeg quicker to make performance acceptable for my use case. But the inability to get some stability from the CameraUI and silence on the issue is really frustrating,

I've been trying to use the prototype I am working on to advocate building our mobile applications on Flex mobile but this is killing it.

Sean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2012 Jan 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sanika, any update on this?  We're seeing the same crashing behavior using the camera.  We'd like to stick with flex mobile but this truly is a showstopper for us since we're planning a release very soon.  Please restore our belief in flex mobile and provide us all with an update.

Thank you very much.

Louis

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 22, 2012 Jan 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't get this. Its beyond frustrating:

• we are not talking about using an uncommon phone capability, access to a phones camera is about the most basic native level of access you would be looking for in a mobile framework
  • we are not talking about an edge case in usage, just trying to take a simple picture consistently
  • we are not talking about a feature issue where it doesn't quite work the way you want, it crashes the whole app hard! 
  • we are not talking about a hard to recreate, only happening to a few people case - it seems from what I have read the Camera integration is fundamentally broken and I have spent days researching this and only found frustration from people out there
  • we are not talking about an issue that does not have consequences - in several places on this forum and others people have emphasized how it is affecting their platform decisions, ability to submit apps. You even have people on this board recommending that not to use Flex Mobile and move to other platforms. Not what you want to be happening to when you are at the adoption phase of a new product.

And that is the response - on this thread and here http://forums.adobe.com/message/4125590#4125590 - we know its an issue but we don't know when it will be fixed and no proactive communication on status - only a growing body of people like me getting increasingly frustrated. What does it take for an issue to be a show stopper? priority 1? affecting customer decisions priority?

In my case I am in place where I am trying to make a platform decision and since this experience has happened I have subscribed to the live feed for this forum and as many relevant Adoble blogs, news feed etc. as I could find. I did this to get a feel for how well Adobe is supporting the mobile development on the AIR platform. Something increasingly important given recent decisions.

My perception so far is quite poor especially for a recently released product, i.e. 4.6 release. In fact the release that finally addresses performance enough to make AIR mobile development a risk free decision. You would expect Adobe to be all over the boards like this - with core developers, platform experts contributing actively. My perception, rightly or wrongly, is of a community trying to support itself without much help, or clear communication from Adobe. In fact if you look at the the articles coming out of Adobe recently its all phonegap, html5 etc. It does not fill you with confidence for the future.

To be clear - I have had a great experience with actionscript, flex etc and as a company we have developed the backend portion of our platform solely on Flex. I don't believe that we could have done it any other way and even now when I look at the alternatives for web development I feel vindicated in our decision.

However, this rant is caused by a genuine frustration and fear. I don't expect this to get a meaningful response but maybe if there are enough voices it will create an overall improvement.

Sean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 23, 2012 Jan 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@louisgates,@shanlyticketsolve

I have an update for you. We have fixed the issue in our internal builds and it should make it to the next release of AIR.

Thanks,

Sanika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sanika,

When is this release planned for? Is there a mechanism to get access to this fix now - through a patch, early beta release? What was the nature of the issue itself - the more we know the better we will be able to report and self diagnose these issues in the future.

At the risk of looking like a moaning user - this doesn't really help and / or start to restore damaged confidence. I am no better off not knowing when this fix will become available. I would expect the nature of the problem to make it a high priority to get into users hands - enables us to make those positive platform decisions, submit those apps that will make the platform a success.

I dont think I am been unreasonable here but there needs to be clearer and more transparent communication on these types of issues - not requirng people to get to the stage where they are 'shouting' on forums to get attention.

Anyways - I'll stop now - but PLEASE when will the fix be available? and is there any mechanism to get early access?

Sean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sanika,

I also have to fully agree and follow Sean comments on this issue. I have a  customer demo this week originally meant  to suggest Air Mobile Technology for the further development of the project

but i will end up in  writing the  prototype with XCode. (and believe me, I would have preferred Flash Builder for this)

I understand that we have in  to wait in order to get some bug fixed, I may even cope with some performance issues,  but THIS ONE would require more attention than  just "wait for the nex AIR release" unless this

would arise tomorrow.

Production problems, if given high priority, have in general to be fixed overnight (in short: asap)... and IMHO, an Application Crash by taking a Picture on an Iphone-App, in January 2012, belong to the same category.

So please, fix this one as soon as possible.

Thank you

Fabio

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 28, 2012 Jan 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok let me lower my expectations give me a hint - will the fix be released 1 month, 3 months, 6 months? never....

Sean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 29, 2012 Jan 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ditto here. Same problem, crashes Andorid HTC Desire phone when returning from taking picture. We are using the 'How to Use CameraUI in a Cross Platform Way' method (http://blogs.adobe.com/cantrell/archives/2011/02/how-to-use-cameraui-in-a-cross-platform-way.html ) but still fails.

I second the comments above: it needs to be fixed ASAP as without the camera functionality our suite of apps becomes worthless and we have to ditch and start again on another platform.

Please - when can we expect the update?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2012 Feb 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issue on Android. Anyone else have this aswell?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 01, 2012 Feb 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, shelling out to the CameraRoll and CameraUI sometimes crashes the program on an Android HTC phone. We have only seen this happen on phones here, our Android Samsung Galaxy tablets seem okay with it. Using ANY of the described methods of calling the CameraUI will crash our Android phones after a couple of attempts (if not every time).

So it is definitely an issue with Android as well as iOS, and something of a dealbreaker for us.

Still waiting for an update on when the next release will be out please, if anyone at Adobe is reading this!

Here's hoping so anyway.

thanks

Andy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 02, 2012 Feb 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

adobe labs says this:

"January 31, 2012 — Adobe AIR 3.2 beta 5 is now available for download. Note that this is the last beta before final release."

Not sure if this is the correct update of if i should look for SDK updates....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Marijin, Did you install it, and did it solve the Camera bug?

Not sure if its going to include the mobile fix though:

AIR 3.2 Beta Features

This beta release provides access to the AIR 3.2 runtime for Windows and Mac OS desktop environments and does not include a beta version of the AIR SDK to enable mobile, television and desktop application development.

so, probably not much use to us. Keep us posted if it solves the CameraUI though!

regards,

Andy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sanika,

Perhaps you could comment on this? How far are we from a beta/release that solves the crash described above on Android and iOS phones?

We just need to know if its going to be solved or not, and if so, a timeline.

thanks

Andy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 09, 2012 Feb 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No i didnt install it, as i just disabled the camera-functionality for now. I'm waiting for a response from adobe on this issue.....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 10, 2012 Feb 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're also experiencing this problem. In fact, our iOS project is almost ready but this is a complete showstopper delaying the release.

Overall, we're happy with the opportunities the air/mobile gives, but basic camera/sound (including some mp3 and jpeg encoding/decoding) funcionalities are crucial to us (and others I gather!).

Is there a bugbase/issue number for this case? I can't see it mentioned anywhere.

/Jesper

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 10, 2012 Feb 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jesper,

Re JPEG encoding I prototyped an ANE - http://forums.adobe.com/message/4090166#4090166 to give fast encoding - might help if fast encoding a Camera image is what you are referring to above.

Just to add to the call here can someone from ADOBE please give an update on this? It's not an unreasonable question been asked over and over again?

Sean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines