Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

After Effects CS4 9.02 is live

May 29, 2009 6:07 AM

The upate is now available via the Adobe Updater.

Multilingual readme is available here.

The 9.02 update addresses a number of issues, including:

• Crash on quit if the active workspace includes a scriptUI panel
  • Several memory corruption issues. Fix should improve overall application stability.
  • Crash on startup on computers with very old OpenGL drivers, or unsupported video cards.
  • Crash on startup due to unsupported codec.
  • Short RAM previews on Windows, due to exhaustion of GDI resources. Now, you should have better memory usage, resulting in longer RAM previews and improved performance.

And many more.

See http://www.adobe.com/go/aftereffects_902_readme

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 29, 2009 6:47 AM   in reply to Adolfo Rozenfeld

I have a lot more information about the After Effects CS4 (9.0.2) update on my blog, including information about the new RED (R3D) support.

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2009 7:27 AM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

I just added an announcement at the top of this forum about the update.

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2009 7:53 AM   in reply to Adolfo Rozenfeld

Got the update and installed. Now getting a error message about a REDSettingpal.plugin on boot up.

Have tried to reboot and such but no effect.

Is there a link to the updater as a download. I was going to try and reinstall the update.After Effects 9.0.2 RED PAL Error.jpg

Help...

Have not noticed any other affects but have not had a chance to play with it much yet.

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2009 8:07 AM   in reply to nonnaes

Nevermind...

Learn to Read Blog.

http://blogs.adobe.com/toddkopriva/2009/05/after_effects_902_update_re d_r.html

Its near the bottom.

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2009 9:10 AM   in reply to nonnaes

This means you need to manually delete the REDSettingsPal.plugin in the Plug-ins/Format directory that you installed in 1.3.

--chris

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2009 8:10 PM   in reply to nonnaes

I am seeing the same error dialog. I did look at the blog entry but did not see a solution.  I remember disabling OPEN GL when I first installed CS4 (due to horrendous results, etc.). Can anyone say what this means?

Oh, and the very 1st thing AE did was crash on quit--which it has done since Day 1.

Thanks,

Lance

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2009 8:15 PM   in reply to Lance Moody

From the blog entry near the bottom...

The RED workflow for After Effects 9.0.1 with version 1.3 of the REDCODE importer plug-in required you to manually install REDSettingsPal.plugin in the Plug-ins/Format directory. After Effects 9.0.2 with version 1.7 of the REDCODE importer plug-in doesn't require this file. In fact, you should manually uninstall this file by removing it from your Plug-ins directory. If you don't, then you'll get an error when using version 1.7 of the REDCODE importer plug-in and After Effects 9.0.2.

This resolved the issue for me. Although still waiting on the 1.7 version of the RED plug-in.

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2009 8:23 PM   in reply to nonnaes

I apologize. My  dialog refers to THIS error:

error.jpg

Any ideas?  Many thanks,

Lance

|
    Mark as:
    May 29, 2009 8:54 PM   in reply to Lance Moody

I wanted to post this in case it might help anyone else.

When I got CS4, I saw some very poor rendering using the new OpenGL rendering (that is active when you install). This was confirmed with an Adobe tech, artifacts and weird undependable results with motion blur was what I was seeing (as I recall).

The tech convinced me that I should disable OpenGL, which I did by removing the plug-in and placing it in the main AE CS4 folder. We may have done something else, too to disable OpenGL--I can't remember.

This all has worked fine for me since then.

With this new update I notice that now AE looks in its root folder for plug-ins and subfolders as well  (it didn't used to do so)!

It also installed a new OpenGL plug-in in the extensions folder.

My error dialog was due to AE seeing that old plug-in which was in a place that I thought was safe from AE looking.

So anyway, I got the old plug-in out of the AE folder entirely and the above error ceased.

I notice that the pref panel says my card is not compatible with OpenGL.  It is a Radeon X1900 (which doesn't seem that old, sniff).

Has anyone had good OpenGL results (with high-end material) and what card are you using?

Many thanks and Best Wishes,

Lance

Dual 3Ghz Mac Pro

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2009 7:51 AM   in reply to Adolfo Rozenfeld

Hi Adolpho,

Thanks for the comments.

It is odd now that CS4 doesn't even see my card any more. Incidentally, CS3 still sees the card (for Open GL) fine.

Also as far as drivers go, Apple provides all graphics drivers, for the most part. In the Mac world, we don't get drivers from ATI. And I remember the drivers being updated in the last system update as late as a few weeks ago.

By the way the X1900 is one of the few high-end cards available for the Mac Pro right now. They sell a $1700 card as well but this card is $400 and still considered contemporary.

My memory of when I did troubleshooting (when CS4 1st came out)  is that I sent the Adobe tech a comp and he also saw the artifacts that I was seeing.

We ended up removing the OGL plug-in. And I have worked that way ever since.

I understand what you are saying about using OGL for interactions only and I was going to do that.

But the discovery I made (along with the Adobe tech) was that EVEN IF YOU HAD TURNED OFF OGL RENDERING in the output modules--AE was still using OGL and at least for me still causing the artifacts and weird rendering I was seeing.

I don't know if you have improved OGL in this new release--and I can't test it since CS4 doesn't see the card as valid anymore.

I tried resetting the prefs but that didn't help.

Thanks again,

Lance

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2009 10:53 AM   in reply to Adolfo Rozenfeld

Hi Adolfo,

Thanks for checking in on this issue for me.

Yes, I had tried rebuilding the prefs file. I also checked if disconnecting my second monitor might help.

It still doesn't seem to recognize the card as OGL-able.

To be clear, when I first got CS4, it DID have OGL enabled--I turned it off (and removed the plug-in as described above).

I would probably not use it anyway.

I was mainly wanting to be sure that I mentioned the new way AE looks for plug-ins--it now looks throughout the root AE folder instead of just the plug-ins folder.

I am sure that I will upgrade my computer at some point and will revisit the OpenGL issue at that time.

Thanks,

Lance

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2009 3:59 PM   in reply to Adolfo Rozenfeld

Hi!

first of all - sorry for my english... but i'll do my best

The problem is:

After 9.0.2 update, when i hit render in Render Que (or even if i want to make a ram preview) the multiple instances of aftereffects in processes (for multiframe rendering) are gone. When i just startup AE, they load in memory as usual, but when it goes to some rendering they just vanish....

i have Core 2 Quad (4Gb ram, Vista x64) , with setting in aftereffect to use 2 CPU's (with 0.7Gb per cpu).

Thanks!

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2009 4:16 PM   in reply to p00z

> After 9.0.2 update, when i hit render in Render Que (or even if i want to make a ram preview) the multiple instances of aftereffects in processes (for multiframe rendering) are gone. When i just startup AE, they load in memory as usual, but when it goes to some rendering they just vanish....

i have Core 2 Quad (4Gb ram, Vista x64) , with setting in aftereffect to use 2 CPU's (with 0.7Gb per cpu).

0.7GB is much too little RAM for any but the simplest compositions. If a background process determines that it has too little memory to do anything useful, it shuts down.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2009 4:46 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

well, i see your point.... but why they always do their job till that moment?

I mean, no such thing has happend before, and i always set 0.7Gb per CPU - and that works...

anyway, thanks for reply...

upd.1.

BTW, when it happens, i'v recieve "Unknown Adobe Dynamic Link Exception" error message, so, it's something came with this update, because in the SAME project with 9.0.1 update there was no such errors. Any suggestions? Looks like, i have to reinstall AE, but with 9.0.1 update?

upd.2.

And some error with "AfterFXLib.dll" in windows perfomance logs, when i have first crash in background processes....

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2009 2:18 AM   in reply to Adolfo Rozenfeld

Adolfo, thanks for reply.

Actually, i know exactly what background AE instances does in 9.0.1 - there is a very obvious way to see it (task manager), but that's not the main point...

Increasing of ram per cpu to 1Gb wont help eather - they still continue to vanish. And ram preview, at the time when background processes should kick in to start rendering (after few frames, that renders with one process), end up with error with dynamic link exception.

Well, i could use the 9.0.2 "feature" of course, as you suggest.... and just close my eyes on this error, and turn multiframe rendering off..... that's looks like an affordable solution

maybe i should do some video capture and post it here, to show what i'm talking about....

p.s. although, looks like there's only me who have this issue, so i think i should check my system first... reinstall ae, updates, etc...

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 2, 2009 7:12 AM   in reply to p00z

p00z,

Don't hesitate to file a bug report if you think that something is wrong.

To report bugs, send a detailed bug report (including information about the version number of your software, some details about your computer, et cetera) to aebugs@adobe.com.

You can also use the bug-report/feature-request form.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 3, 2009 2:19 AM   in reply to Adolfo Rozenfeld

Edit: Nevermind. Reinstalling solved the problem.

I'm getting an error after the update that wasn't there before.

I'm running XP SP3.

"Font Capture: AfterFX.exe - Entry Point Not Found

?Create@File@ASL@@[...] could not be located in the dynamic link library ASLFoundation.dll."

It comes up 4 times then after effects starts normally.

It might be connected to Lance's but I don't remember doing anything to OpenGL and I dont know what the REDSettingpal.plugin plugin is.

Untitled-1.jpg

Edit: Nevermind. Reinstalling solved the problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 9, 2009 5:50 PM   in reply to Adolfo Rozenfeld

I have called Adobe about this issue several times, I have tried uninstalling After effects and re-install still no luck. I even added a new user account my Apple and it still crashes, anyone else get this message?

Last log message was:<2684794656>
    AASL.ResourceUtils.GetLanguageIDFromRegistry><0>Unable to obtain the User 'Language registry key at" Software\Adobe\After Effects\9.0.2\
    Defaulting to 'en_US'.

I would appreciate any suggestions beside wiping my drive and doing a freshh install

Appl Mac Pro Inel quad x 2  (8 core) 8gb of ram Ati xt 2100 Hd video, Adobe Master CS4

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 12, 2009 5:45 PM   in reply to teacee

Hi Teecee,

Sorry to hear you are having such problems launching AE CS4. That message doesn't ring a bell to me at all. What steps did tech support have you try? I don't want to ask you to repeat a bunch of the same things.

The largest cause of startup crashes we've seen, in no particular order:

Bad video card driver (not on the mac though)

Bad font

Incompatible third party Quicktime Codecs

Corrupt preferences files

Corrupt font cache files

Everything else (according to the crash data we get) is largely one offs (for startup crashes), with very few people having the same one.

9.02 does a much better job of reporting the conditions when they occur and being more robust around startup in general.

Good luck,

Chris

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 15, 2009 8:47 AM   in reply to ChrisProsser

I  had to do a clean install wiped my drive completely, I called Apple because my computer is still under apple care until 2011, and several calls to Adobe no luck. After the clean install and all updates no problems. I did have some third party plugins, and maybe they were the problem I am not sure, but all is fine after two days of reinstalling software.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2010 1:56 PM   in reply to Adolfo Rozenfeld

I'm having the same problem as Teecee, hopefully I won't have to do the same fix. fdas.jpg

Here's the message. Just started today. Please help.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2010 2:10 PM   in reply to Ytsehoos

Oh yeah, I get this error and crash about 5 times a day. It's either this or a problem with the "Blit Pipe Disengaged"

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2010 2:51 PM   in reply to Ytsehoos

Third party plug-in may have been the culprit. I believe all is well now. At least is starts and my project opened.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2010 7:11 PM   in reply to Adolfo Rozenfeld

same here no solution yet

Picture 1.png

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 11, 2010 12:23 PM   in reply to Paul Graff

I am sorry for my English. There was the same problem as thereon skrine, reinstalling did not help, the following helped... - SystemDisk-Library-Components, dragged content of folder of "Components" on a "desktop", AE started - BEGAN to work!!!! then remove components back and each time anew starting AE to find out bad komponet. Strangely enough  after these manipulations and all of the tools were returned on meto and AE  began to work. Successes.

|
    Mark as:
    Jun 1, 2011 12:53 PM   in reply to StillS_74

Same problem (or similar) with CS5.5 on MacPro tower running 10.5.6

Once in while I can get AE to launch, but most of the time it runs through most of the startup splash screen stuff then this:

screenshot.png

There is no logic to when it will launch and when it will hit this alert. I am going to try unistalling / reinstalling.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 18, 2012 10:05 PM   in reply to tlipfert

I get the same error:

"Unable to obtain the User 'Language' registry key at: Software\Adobe\After Effects\10.5\ Defaulting to 'en_US'."

I get this error if I switch projects I am working on. It seems like I can work on project A for days without issue, when I close A and switch to project B I'll get the error. Deleting preferences helps for a little while then the problem creeps back in.

This problem is driving me crazy, losing all of my prefs and having to re-enter serial numbers all the time is a huge hassle.

Mac Pro 32gig  8 core OSX 10.7.3 AE CS5.5 10.5.0.253

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 19, 2012 12:36 AM   in reply to michaelgaron

I ended up wiping my drive, doing a full OS reinstall, then a full CS reinstall. Everything was fast and clean after that. I found no other way to fix the problem. It was a world of hurt.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 28, 2012 11:06 PM   in reply to Adolfo Rozenfeld

I got this same problem after installing the "distribute layers" script i downloaded from aescripts.com , after that, I even got the error when not using the script and uninstalling it, is there a way to clean the preferences or registers these scripts leave behind?

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)