Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Air Help topic navigation links broken

Feb 27, 2012 Feb 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've logged this as a bug, but was wondering if anyone else has run into this problem.

When generating the "Air Help and Browser Based Help" output format (and uploading the browser files to the web server and installing the AirHelp application), the navigation links that appear above the help window and below the search bar/navigation buttons are broken. The example below shows the uni-pane template, but the problem occurs with all templates.

Upon clicking the first or second topic link (in the red circled area), this displays "The page cannot be found" and the navigation links themselves disappear.

CDS.jpg

I noticed that the problem only exists when the topics in the Project Manager are organized into subfolders. If all the topics in the Project Manager reside in the top-level folder, the links navigate properly. Also, the links are only clickable when in online mode, not in local mode. I've been unable to either disable the navigation links entirely, or make them un-clickable in online mode.

I'm running RH9, Windows 7 (64-bit).

Any help would be appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 01, 2012 Mar 01, 2012

It seems the answer is not to generate browser based AIR help for the online element.

I generated webhelp instead making sure the Show Navigational Links option was deselected. With that done the breadcrumbs all worked fine in both the online and offline help. The user opens the help and if a connection is available the help defaults to the online content in the view, which is local. Without a connection or when the user elects to go offline, they stay in the view but with the local content.

See www.grainge.org

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure what the problem is at this stage but I don't think it is a bug as no one else has hit the problem.

Please open one of the sample projects and generate some AIR help from that to establish the links work there. That rules out a bug and tells us it is something in your project. What it is will still need to be determined but we will know we are looking in the right place.

Probably the first thing I would do is apply another skin and not make any changes to the default.

Post back how you get on. I'm going offline soon but will pick up your reply tomorrow if no one else has waded in.

See www.grainge.org for RoboHelp and Authoring tips

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the speedy reply.

I did test this with the sample "salesbuilder" project and got the same results. I tried it with different skins and templates (i.e., multi-tab accordian) and got the same results. The only remedy has been to move the topics from their subfolders in the Project Manager to the top-level folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those projects are tested and known to work including the breadcrumbs and with the topics at many levels. Are your projects local when you are working on them?

If they are, then look at the AIR pages on my site to see if you can pick up something.

Post back. I can't think offhand what would cause this but will give it some time tomorrow.

@petergrainge

Help others by clicking Correct Answer if the question is answered. Found the answer elsewhere? Share it here. "Upvote" is for useful posts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did review the AIR pages on your site several times before posting. Perhaps it's a problem with our web server, since you say the sample projects are known to work. I was sure it was a bug.

Our RH projects are stored in a Subversion repository, but I check them out and work on them locally, on my local machine. Some of my tests were done only locally and not saved in Subversion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 28, 2012 Feb 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I thought the problem occurred with both desktop and browser help. Are you saying it is only with the browser help?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wondering just how the browser based AIR help was put onto the server. Could the developers have put the files up without respecting the folder structure?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I upload the files myself to the server using FileZilla. I believe the folder structure remains intact but I will double-check that to make sure and post back, thank.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’ve just verified that the directory structure is exactly the same in both the BrowserBasedHelp folder and on the web server.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Earlier on you generated from the SalesBuilder project. Did you just try BB AIR help or did you also try Desktop? If you did not create Desktop from that, please do so now and me the AIR file created.

See the contact page on my site.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 29, 2012 Feb 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Meliset

Just wondering if you got the new email thread I started?

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Feb 29, 2012 Feb 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, no. I don’t see a new thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 01, 2012 Mar 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to update the thread, I believe I have found the solution to this and will post the answer once Meliset has confirmed it is working for her.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems the answer is not to generate browser based AIR help for the online element.

I generated webhelp instead making sure the Show Navigational Links option was deselected. With that done the breadcrumbs all worked fine in both the online and offline help. The user opens the help and if a connection is available the help defaults to the online content in the view, which is local. Without a connection or when the user elects to go offline, they stay in the view but with the local content.

@petergrainge

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, if webhelp is generated instead of browser-based AIR help, the breadcrumbs work properly.

Thank you very much for finding a solution, Peter!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem occurs in Browser help. In desktop help, the breadcrumbs do not work as links at all, although they are visible.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2013 Jul 24, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I also encountered the broken breadcrumbs links when generating "Air Help and Browser Based Help" and tried the solution proposed here.

Although this resolves the problem that has been described, I'm finding that in my AirHelp application it introduces another one when online.

When using browser based Air Help for the online content, the AirHelp search function worked ok.

After substituting the webhelp files I find that the seach function does not return any results when viewing online content.

Has anybody else encountered this and is there a simple solution?

Alternatively, I was wondering if there is any way in which the breadcrumbs can be displayed, but not be active - if that were possible I'd be able to continue working with the original Air Help and Browser Based Help files.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Resources
RoboHelp Documentation
Download Adobe RoboHelp