Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Control gradient direction when applying to multiple brush strokes.

Feb 29, 2012 8:25 AM

Tags: #illustrator #fill #stroke #gradient

Hi everyone.

I'm in CS5, Windows 7.

I'm creating an animal and for a fur texture, I created a new brush stroke.  I am trying to apply a gradient swatch I created to all the strokes, but I can't control the direction.  I need the gradient transparent on the round end of the stroke and brown on the pointed end of the stroke.  No matter what I do, it gets all crazy and some strokes have it the right way and others are reversed.

furgrade.jpg How do I anchor gradient so it follows the direction of the stroke rather than just going from left to right regardless of the stroke position?

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 29, 2012 10:17 AM   in reply to TTPub

You can controll the gradient direction either in the gradient palette - found by going to "window" -> "gradient" and ajusting the angle, or by using the gradient tool (hit "G" to activate or find it on the tools panel). With the gradient tool you can then just simply click and drag in the direction you want it to go.

Capture.JPG

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 29, 2012 11:04 AM   in reply to TTPub

It ought to only apply that gradient to the objects that are selected (applying the gradient while all the objects are selected, will aplly that gradient universally over all the selected objects, following the same direction.) And once a gradient is created it should aitomatically remain relative to the object. Meaning if you turn the object after applying the gradient, the gradient should turn along with it.

Are you saying that when you turn the object the gradient stays in place?

I know this might be asking for much, but can you tell me exactly how you went about to create your strokes. This might help me help you more specifically.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 29, 2012 2:23 PM   in reply to TTPub

TTPub,

What happens if you build the colour transition into the Art Brush, as a Blend from transparent to brown?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 29, 2012 3:38 PM   in reply to TTPub

TTPub, a fabulously irrelevant question as you work out this problem: In the screen shot in your original post, can you tell me what typeface you used? Is it by any chance Nofret?

As for your problem, I would definitely use Jacob's solution. You want to create the fur shape withOUT a curve, fill it with a gradient (transparent brown to brown), expand the gradient, delete the clipping path, make it an art brush. Now paint freely.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 29, 2012 7:15 PM   in reply to TTPub

Don't make a brush make the art a symbol.

Make the gradient on both ends the same color and on the side that need to be Transprent give it a 0% Opacity or if that is too transpar3nt then make it more than 0% like 10%.

These are sybols distriibuted but using the Symbol Sprayer and Rotated by using the Symbol Spinner tool from the Toolbar.

Screen Shot 2012-02-29 at 10.14.42 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 29, 2012 7:22 PM   in reply to Wade_Zimmerman

You can make it furrier, and it depends on how skilled you are at adjusting the symbol tool settings how you distribute rotaate and color them

Screen Shot 2012-02-29 at 10.19.17 PM.png

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 1, 2012 2:03 AM   in reply to TTPub

I am with Doug on this.

An Art Brush will enable the creation of delicate transitions shapes, including transisitons of length and bend, even between opposite bends, in addition to different directions.

Also, the OP image clearly shows different shapes, implying the wish to paint freely.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points