Skip navigation
Currently Being Moderated

Help Saving Metadata (new to LR)

Feb 28, 2012 5:54 AM

Hi Forum, I have a similar question to Hal's, maybe you can answer? (Am new to Lightroom. )   My Q concerns metadata and saving it upon export. (MAC user) I don't mind minimizing the metadata for exported files, as *copyright is the main item needed for my uses.  But even when I export with metadata *not minimized, I cannot find my copyright listed anywhere when I click "get info" on my exported image itself.    Can you explain why I *do see my copyright listed in the LR metadata panel for an image before export, but later cannot see it embedded in the exported file?   Thanks so much, Barbara B

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 28, 2012 8:14 AM   in reply to bowenarro

Which program are you using when you click "get info"?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 28, 2012 1:38 PM   in reply to bowenarro

I'm on Windows. Never used a Mac and can't help you with that - sorry.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 28, 2012 1:40 PM   in reply to bowenarro

Well, that would be because the OS X Finder Get Info command doesn't show all embedded EXIF and IPTC metadata...it's there if you properly set the export settings and would show up in an app that read all of the embedded metadata.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 28, 2012 9:20 PM   in reply to bowenarro

Various apps and 3rd party tools. Photoshop "Get Info" will read the metadata as will Bridge. EXIFTool will as well. I actually think Windows 7 is slightly better at reading embedded metadata in Explorer than Mac is...the Finder only seems to see the easy stuff.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 29, 2012 6:16 PM   in reply to bowenarro

Barbara, one built-in way to view image metadata on a Mac is to open the image in Apple Preview.

Once the image is open in Preview, choose Tools > Show Inspector (Command+I, kinda like the Mac Finder), which opens a floating info panel. You will find copyright info under the second tab (More Info) and then in there, under the IPTC tab. It remembers the last info tab you viewed, so the next time you open an image in Preview you'll be able to see the same info right away.

If you want to check a bunch of images at once, open them all in Preview at the same time. Preview will open them all in a single window so you can just Page Down or press down arrow through them, while looking at the info panel.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points