Skip navigation
Noel Carboni 23,526 posts
Dec 23, 2006
Currently Being Moderated

Windows 8 Consumer Preview Downloads Now Available

Feb 29, 2012 9:09 AM

For those of you interested in getting an early handle on what Windows 8 has in store, Microsoft has made the much anticipated Consumer Preview version available today...  Note that this is free, "beta" level software, and WILL expire, so don't expect to just download and use it forever.  Ultimately they're going to charge $$$ for it.

Main page:  http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/consumer-preview

ISO images available:  http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/iso

Windows 8 Server available to Technet subscribers:  https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/securedownloads/hh44 2904

I'm in the process of downloading ISO images now, and will be setting up VMware virtual machines in which to test the various versions.  I will be interested to see how Photoshop works with it (it mostly worked with the Windows 8 Developer Preview version, with just a few glitches).

Note that these downloads are all quite huge (multiple gigabytes).

-Noel

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 29, 2012 5:39 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

Hi Noel

I'm a Win7 Pro 64Bit user and what I've been hearing is that for Win7 Desktop users, 8 is gonna be kind-a "meh..." I'd be very interested in your opinion there.

Also on the Desktop interface; I've read a lot of conflicting reports about losing the Start Menu and such.

All the best

Paul

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 29, 2012 8:11 PM   in reply to Noel Carboni

I love Win7, but for about a week after moving from XP I'd be screaming in frustration trying to find stuff, and that was only a couple of years ago, I'm not reallly looking forward to going through that again so soon!

Regardless of the functionality, I think the "Metro" interface on a desktop is awful, simply dreadful - I don't even have the trashcan icon on my desktop! - and would not want to be forced to use it, but, it looks as if people are already working on that... here, here, and here.

Mind you, I did play around with a Windows Phone a few weeks ago and thought the Metro interface was actually pretty good... on a MOBILE device, not my desktop!!!

But Win8 itself is fast, I watched a video today in the office, and I'm damned if I can find it again, but it showed a notebook booting into Win8 from a cold start - they even put the battery in before hitting the power button to prove they weren't cheating - in under 10 seconds.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 29, 2012 11:55 PM   in reply to pf22

I'm quite the opposite, i like fiddling with new stuff which is why i installed the open beta for Win7 and will install the CP for Win8 as well. I'll just wait a few days to make sure that there aren't any crippling bugs left in it before installing it.

|
    Mark as:
  • Pierre Courtejoie
    7,043 posts
    Jan 11, 2006
    Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 1, 2012 12:24 AM   in reply to Noel Carboni

I'm wondering if it would work in a virtual machine.

I like how Ms was finally able to produce a brand new UI, and interaction system.

When you see how Samsung copied iOS for its touchwiz skin on top of Android to the color of the phone icon, Ms has a nice and clear UI, and I like the hints of a word to indicate further content, etc. but bringing a touch-oriented UI to the desktop (albeit usable with a mouse, according to what I've seen) lets me puzzled, hence why I'd like to see by myself.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 1, 2012 1:54 AM   in reply to Pierre Courtejoie

It should work while installed on a usb drive so i don't see why it wouldn't work in a virtualized enviroment

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)