Skip navigation
KhanAsh5
Currently Being Moderated

Shockwave Flash Object 11.1.102.55 crashes IE 9 on Vista 32 bit

Feb 22, 2012 4:37 AM

Tags: #flash #vista #ie9 #flash_player_11 #windows_vista_32bit

From last 1 week I'm facing an issue with flash player. Each time when I enable Shockwave Flash Object 11.1.102.55 add-on in IE9 it does not allow to load the page and show a message to recover the page and even sometimes browser got crashes. When I disable the Shockwave Flash Object 11.1.102.55 page loaded without flash and works fine.

I have installed Google Chrome and flash is working fine in Google Chrome browser but I need IE9 as most of my application IE9 supporting.

My system configuration is as follows

Browser : IE 9 Antivirus: Kaspersky Internet Security

Below are some steps which I have taken to resolve this issue but no success:

- Uninstalled the IE 9 and found the same issue in IE 8

- Enable the ActiveX filter but after that page works fine but flash image will not display

Kindly let me know if you required any log files or information to solve this issue. I need help from adobe to solve my system problem.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 22, 2012 5:37 AM   in reply to KhanAsh5

Update to 11.1.102.62.  And change I.E. from GPU rendering to software rendering:

Click Start, type Internet options, click Internet options, click Advanced tab, check Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering.

What is your video adapter and driver version?

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,454 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Feb 22, 2012 11:20 AM   in reply to KhanAsh5

Could you try installing the latest version (11,1,102,62) to see if the crashes still occur?  If they do and you're willing to help us get to the bottom of it, please see the following FAQ for instructions on how to report crashes.  In particular, we'll need a crash log (instructions in the help doc), a URL, dxdiag system report, and any additional steps you can provide.  Once you have this, please open a bug over at bugbase.adobe.com and post back letting me know so I can investigate further.

How do I report a Flash Player crash to Adobe?

Thanks,

Chris

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 22, 2012 11:57 AM   in reply to KhanAsh5

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2012 1:17 AM   in reply to KhanAsh5

Looks like you are in a Catch-22 situation with I.E. 9.  You have enable the Flash Player to turn off acceleration but when you do, crash and burn.

Suggestions:

Try an older version of Flash Player:  http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/142/tn_14266.html

Get a new video card.

Revert to I.E. 8 and install Google Chrome Frame.

Use Google Chrome.

Ask Adobe to add the hardware acceleration setting switch to the local Flash Player Settings Manager.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 23, 2012 4:20 PM   in reply to KhanAsh5

If your  trouble started one week ago, it may relate with our security update release for 11.1.102.62. If automatic update started but install didn't complete and somehow caused ActiveX plugin (Flash Player plugin for IE is called so) in bad state. I suggest you try uninstall Flash Player once and reinstall after. 

Here is FAQ topic for uninstall: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/889574?tstart=0

Once you uninstall Flash Player, please make sure you don't see it listed in IE9 manage add-ons list. Then go to http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/ from IE9 and install as directed. (don't forget to quit IE when Adobe install helper asked so)  

Flash Player for Chrome is fine even you run uninstaller but if you have FireFox and have Flash Player in it, it will be uninstalled  so you have to install FireFox side too.

Hope you get FP work soon.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 25, 2012 5:32 PM   in reply to KhanAsh5

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 27, 2012 4:33 PM   in reply to KhanAsh5

Have you tried clicking 'Reset...' in Internet properties->Advanced->Reset Internet Explore Settings to resolve the problem? It is suggested in this web page: http://www.brighthub.com/computing/windows-platform/articles/114938.as px

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,454 posts
    May 4, 2010
    Feb 28, 2012 5:24 PM   in reply to KhanAsh5

What if you try and disable IE's GPU support using the "fix its" found on this page?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2528233

Chris

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 29, 2012 10:39 AM   in reply to KhanAsh5

If I.E. 9 won't use GPU rendering with your video adapter setup, it is unlikely that Flash Player 11 will work with your video adapter setup.  Have you tried reverting back to I.E.8 and installing Google's Chrome Frame on I.E. 8?

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 29, 2012 11:42 AM   in reply to KhanAsh5

Are you sure Flash Player 11 works only with GPU Rendering?

Adobe calls it Hardware acceleration, use of the GPU.  The crux of the matter is that I.E. 9 and Flash Player are making greater use of system GPU's and your GPU setup is four year old.

While I'll take your suggestion also and download Google's Chrome Frame but still not understand what is the advantage to install google chrome frame on IE8. Can you please explain me.

You said that embedded Flash Player 11.1.102.55 of Google Chrome worked on your system.  You said that Flash Player 11.1.102.55 did not work with I.E.8.  It is possible that putting Google's Chrome Frame with an embedded Flash Player on I.E.8 may work on your system.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 29, 2012 12:30 PM   in reply to KhanAsh5

It is not the same thing, it is two different modules using the same hardware.  I.E.9 and Flash Player 11 both attempt to use the GPU to increase the speed of displaying.  Adobe calls this use of the GPU, hardware acceleration; Microsoft calls this use of the GPU, GPU rendering.  When I.E.9 was set up on your system, the installer determined that your GPU was not suitable for GPU rendering, that is why Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering was already checked.  Flash Player 11 is making greater use of the GPU than your GPU is capable of delivering.  To uncheck hardware acceleration, you need to enable Flash Player in Internet Explorer, but when you do, crash.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 6, 2012 10:44 PM   in reply to Carl E. Myers Jr.

I was doing some updating of some of the stuff on my cousins computer today and one of them was installing Flash version 11.1.102.55.  When I restarted everything videos on youtube weren't working so I started googling possible solutions.  I found out that IE9 which I had just installed wasn't recognizing the current version of Sun Java Console so I had to go into the properties for it to enable XP compatiblity mode for Java and that seemed to fix the problem when I went back into IE9 and used the compatibility mode button.  I don't know if this would fix the original posters problem but I figured it couldn't hurt trying.

|
    Mark as:
    May 30, 2012 9:56 PM   in reply to KhanAsh5

I'm having the same problem on Windows 7 x64.  However, the problem is only with the 32-bit version of Internet Explorer.

Did you fix your problem?

|
    Mark as:
  • Chris Campbell
    9,454 posts
    May 4, 2010
    May 31, 2012 4:56 PM   in reply to KhanAsh5

Cyberian75, could you take a minute to cast your vote and comment for KhanAsh5's bug?

https://bugbase.adobe.com/index.cfm?event=bug&id=3113895

Thanks,

Chris

|
    Mark as:
    Aug 22, 2012 7:47 PM   in reply to Chris Campbell

I know this thread is 3 months old, but I have a solution that may help. This problem seems to be affecting how GOOGLE CHROME utilizes select components that IE9 uses.

First, UNINSTALL FLASH PLAYER from IE9 (google chrome has it built in - never remove)

second, go to MANAGE ADDONS and select RUN WITHOUT PERMISSIONS from the dropdown (SEE RED CIRCLE IN IMAGE)

tk2.jpg

Locate and DISABLE GEPluginCoClass Object and GOOGLE UPDATE

Disabled those after about 4 days of testing and using event viewer to isolate the problem, and now I can use IE9 for flash viewing. Hope this helps you guys.

Now to expand upon the help request portion. Somehow during the FLASH UPDATE, FLASH attempted to install GOOGLE CHROME browser on top of the chrome browser I already had installed on my PC and it caused a problem when the UAC on WIN7 x64 blocked the install, since I didnt approve the chrome install, (it was a small checkbox that I overlooked).

tk7.jpg

Shame on you Adobe. This was bad business practice. It makes your company look bad. You get compensated for each install of the Chrome browser and toolbar, and to get the installs, you make the notification fairly small., easy to overlook. SUGGESTION, make the text larger, and DEFAULT the checkbox to be UNCHECKED. If I wanted CHROME, I would get it. I didnt go to Adobe to update my Flash version when the software said I needed to and have Chrome slipped in there to gain a profit-per-click. I know adobe doesnt include Chrome 'out of the goodness of their hearts', rather out of lust for their wallets. Ok, back on topic, apologies for the rant.

Now, before when I had this issue in IE9, I was able to fix it by disabling hardware acceleration in IE9 settings and then in FLASH settings the GPU rendering. Then in MANAGE ADDONS I would disable SHOCKWAVE related and FLASH/ACTIVEX addons, CLOSE ie9, reopen and re-enable all and it worked.

After the chrome attempt, that no longer works.

Now, when I use my IE9 to view flash, I can only rightclick the flash window 1 time, then it wont right click anymore.

Also, it is still using CHROME FRAME even though I have uninstalled/disabled it.

tk3.jpg

This image was WITHIN IE9. If I use task manager to close all CHROME/GOOGLE processes, flash no longer works in IE9. This means IE9 is using the chromeframe or google associated parts of FLASH (Chrome has flash hardwired into it) even when I have it disabled, and it is not using flash as a standalone. However, IE9 64bit does not have this problem, but some sites do not work well with the 64bit version.

To further the confusion, I will also add this, in IE9, when I go to YOUTUBE or other site that uses FLASH player, I get the initial 'you need to install flash player' message for about half a second, then it disappears and plays the video. Again, when I close all the chrome.exe processes and google processes, it says I need to install it, but when I get to the flash site,

tk6.jpg

Now, there is a new updated version of flash, 11.4-----. I am hesitant to update out of fear of losing the ability to use IE9 and flash. I like Chrome and Firefox, but the US Government websites I use (FAA.gov, IACRA system and select parts of the NTSB and CFR portion) require IE7-8 or 9 and do not support any other browser and no plans are in place to expand that support any time soon, so it kind of limits me to requiring IE8/9 since a lot of sites no longer support IE7 either.

tk4.jpg

Apparently they now support Firefox 3+. Would be nice if Flash wasnt an issue.

So, MR Adobe (personally I liked Macromedia service, easy to get hold of and fix an issue. Adobe service is harder to work with) any ideas?

Please dont suggest the beginner solutions. I am well past that. Thanks

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 30, 2012 11:10 AM   in reply to KhanAsh5

Just letting you guys know that I just went through this with my machine. 

Starting throwing DEP in IE9 on Vista 32, and everything was fully up to date.  After playing the disable add-ons game, I narrowed it down to the Shockwave Flash Object.  Turn it off and the problem goes away immediately and only returns if I activate it.  Guess what is disabled on my machine now?

Please don't offer to debug, I disabled (and will probably uninstall) Shockwave.  Just sharing the problem.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 5, 2012 2:34 PM   in reply to Hitomi Kudo

I had the same problem as the first poster to this thread.  Following a virus infection and removal, IE8 would not connect to any site.  The Search pane worked with Google, and a clicked suggestion under the Search pane woujld pop up in the main IE pane, but that's as far as it went.  IE8 would hang and have to be forced to shut off through Task Manager.

By process of elimination as suggested in an early reply here, I disabled all add-ons, determining that Shockwave Flash Object was at fault.  I went through the recommended uninstall/reinstall... following EVERY step... and everything is fine now.

Thanks to all here and for an authoritative Forum.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 5, 2012 3:50 PM   in reply to Electrojim

Electrojim,

I'm happy to hear that you could solve your issue by reading this forum. We really appreciate Flash community folks' help here and there.

thanks,

Hitomi

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points