Skip navigation
Reid @ DMX
Currently Being Moderated

Edit window lag: Mac OSX

Jan 30, 2012 1:06 PM

Tags: #mac #osx #lag #edit_window

Hello all:

I'm currently having some issues while running Audition 5.5 on an iMac OSX 10.6 (2.7 GHz Quad core i5 / 4GB). Talked to adobe support [which was comical] and they had no clue what it was. Here's a sample of what is going on:

Zoom is extremely laggy both during playback and while stopped. Scroll in on the waveform and it takes a solid 3 seconds to realize that I want to zoom in. What's worse is if I try to toggle playback while zooming, it's game over. It'll take honestly 4 seconds for it to finally stop playing and glitchily zoom out. I even setup a hardware monitor to log what was going on while doing this and everything was practially idling; CPU, GPU, memory, everything. But Audition was off silently having a heart attack. I tried to adjust some latency settings to see if maybe that was it, but no dice. Walked through some admin steps, deleted prefs, everything except reinstallation with the tech dude but nothing. I'd reinstall, but honestly I don't think that's the issue. There isn't even any lag in the multitrack view. So I'm at a loss.

I guess what I'm looking for is if anyone else has experienced this problem. We've been using 3.0 on our awful PC's with zero issues. It's kind of irritating to have your boss buy this [expensive] software, explaining that it'll be the exact same thing if not better than CS3, only to have it be almost unusable. Any help would be appreciated!

Reid

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Jan 30, 2012 1:32 PM   in reply to Reid @ DMX

Hi Reid,

That machine should be MORE than adequate and you're unlikely to run into issues like limited OpenGL support that can be a problem on Windows when using the Windows-provided video drivers.

A few quick questions that may help us narrow down the issue:

- Do you see this problem at ALL zoom levels?  For example, if you open a 10 minute file and are fully zoomed out, are you able to zoom in a few steps without a problem, but once you are zoomed in very tightly, it becomes less manageable?

- Are the files stored on a local drive, or are they being streamed over a network?

- If you zoom in while stopped and then press play, does the screen scroll/paging update at a normal speed or does it also lag?

- If you attempt to zoom using the Zoom buttons in the interface, do you see the same performance problems?

- This probably goes without saying, but Spectral Frequency view is NOT visible while seeing this behavior, correct?

Thanks,

Durin

|
    Mark as:
    Jan 31, 2012 3:48 PM   in reply to Reid @ DMX

Your expectation is valid - performance should not be so poor and so dramatically different from Au3.  Send me an e-mail to audbugs@adobe.com and I'll see what I can do about the pre-release program.  I'd be interested to know if you see this same behavior with the latest builds, which may help pinpoint where the problem lies.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 10, 2012 12:01 PM   in reply to _durin_

Spent some time digging into this on different systems in our lab and have some information.

The first has to do with OS X mouse scroll wheel messaging at the OS level.  The OS appears to queue and send EVERY scroll "click" so if you're scrolling quickly, 1000's of messages are generated for each small increment and sent instead of collecting a single "swipe" and generating a message with a large increment.  This was discovered and addressed during the development cycle for CS 5.5, but in my opinion, it's still not as smooth as similar actions on Windows.

However, that still doesn't explain the extreme performance you've described.  While we didn't have any systems that were identical to yours, several were close.  I did find worse zoom performance in 10.6.8 when the iMac I used had a Radeon HD 4850 graphics chip.  Can you verify what specific graphics system is in your iMac?  You can find this by clicking the Apple icon in the upper left corner, selecting About this Mac, clicking the "More Info" button, then clicking on Hardware > Graphics/Displays.

If you are able to capture a short video clip of this behavior, it would help to see if it's close to what I saw.  One zoom operation that felt much slower with this configuration than on other mac systems I tried was to make a small selection and then click the "Zoom to Selection" button (SHIFT+S as a shortcut.)  On most systems, this was instantaneous, but with the Radeon graphics chip, it took over a second to perform the operation.

Thanks.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 1, 2012 6:56 PM   in reply to Reid @ DMX

Hi there, I am also on a mac working with Adobe Audition since it came out for Mac. While editing, I have the issue of a certain lag when selecting a portion of audio...the cursor basically doesn't select exactly where I want it to, and it makes editing a real pain. I love everything about this program (loved Cool Edit!) and have been waiting for years for it to come out for Mac. But now I simply can't do any lenghthy editing, as it's far too frustrating and time consuming. Has anyone been able to resolve this issue?? I paid around $300 for this, I would love for it to work...

Cheers,

lili

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 2, 2012 2:48 AM   in reply to thelilicat

Do you have one of the Snapping functions turned on that is making the cursor jump to the nearest snap point rather than where you want it? See Edit/Snapping for options or Right click on the Time bar.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 2, 2012 6:04 AM   in reply to ryclark

Wow! I think that is it!! THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH!!!! Now I have to try to figure out how I can actually monitor when record from this program, so far I've only used for editing since I never found input monitoring...if you have any tips, please let me know!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 2, 2012 6:12 AM   in reply to thelilicat

One last issue, after input monitoring...(perhaps I must use my sound cards input monitoring feature?).

Is there a reason I cannot perform functions on the timeline (Delete, being the major one, or say, amplifying a section) WHILE having playback go uninterrupted?

For some reason, the program automatically brings me to the section I highlight and perform functions, but it interrupts what I am listening to.

The odd thing is sometimes, when I've just opened my program, it won't do it, but it eventually resumes it's behavior of stopping to perform functions...I've tried to play with settings in the Playback section (Preferences) but nothing works. Let me know your help is so appreciated!!

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points