Skip navigation
LDSdesign 7 posts
Feb 22, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Adobe Content Viewer on iPad cannot connect to server resolution?

Feb 24, 2012 9:03 AM

Tags: #error #adobe #content #server #view #to #connect #cannot

My Adobe Content Viewer has been giving me an error "Cannot connect to server at this time" for days. I'm trying to download a folio update and it appears to download about .5MB of 2MB and fails. I've tryed signing out and signing back and and checked to see if there was an update available for the viewer. Has anyone else experienced this or have a resolution for it?

Thanks, Lisa

Replies
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,642 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Feb 24, 2012 9:12 AM   in reply to LDSdesign

Is your iPad connected to the internet? Are you connecting behind a company firewall? Can you use the Content Viewer using a different WiFi connection?

|
    Mark as:
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Feb 24, 2012 10:26 AM   in reply to LDSdesign

Having similar issues here. Takes several tries. Removing and reinstalling viewer is no help. I can browse using Mobile Safari with no problem. My co-worker in our NYC office (I'm in CT) is experiencing the same problems.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2012 10:29 AM   in reply to mdc1313

Seems that re-uploading the last article the download/update got hung up on helps. Why, I don't know.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2012 10:50 AM   in reply to mdc1313

I'm experiencing similar behaviour/errors and solutions. just: it gets very ugly to find the articles, causing the error, when you have more than 100 Stacks :/

I usually Link every article again to it's original file and that helps.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 24, 2012 12:52 PM   in reply to LDSdesign

Actually just right now, I also have probems to identify where the errors comes from. I began deleting stacks one by one, to find the one. with the slow server and a folio-size of more than 500MB that procedure also is ugly... keep trying!

Edit: Also please don't forget to "kill" the Content-Viewer-App via the task switcher after changing/uploading the contaminated Stack.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 28, 2012 12:27 AM   in reply to LDSdesign

So this is getting really embarassing.

We still have the error "element cannot be installed" (Element kann nicht installiert werden), after uploading/updating some stacks. As we knew, that this could happen, when we have changes, we were just upating each 10 stacks, so we would know, which one contaminated the folio.

The last three nights in the row, we worked until 3 a.m. just to update and wait for the complete download of more than 100 stacks, because we need to show the results to our customer. Yesterday we started the process all over and changed about 20 stacks. We double checked if the download went through on 2 different iPads. Then we informed our customer, that it was safe to download the folio.

Today in the morning he informed us, that "element cannot be installed". As we try to download and install the folio again on our iPads, we get the same error.

So what is going on here?!

Our customer wants to change to Adobe DPS with his periodic publication. This is why we have this project, to show that work with Adobe is possible right now.. But... it isn't! We need to do double check every change two times (= 4x), servers are awfully slow (sometimes we need more than 2 hours to download 600 MB) and even if we were sure, after nightshifts, that everything was working, we can't present it to customers. It's hard to believe that publishing a periodic issue is possible in time.

So when can we expect to have a working, performing DPS again? Because in this state -- I'm sorry to say that -- I'm not sure, if we can stay with you guys

- Richard

PS: Maybe an improvement could be, that paying customers get faster servers, than the ones on acrobat.com.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 28, 2012 2:40 AM   in reply to LDSdesign

sometimes i have to rename everything (articles, folios) in INDD and on the producer page, then gottal ogout from the iPad viewer, log in again .. and it works ... but erm ....

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,642 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Feb 28, 2012 7:18 AM   in reply to jbalmain

When you're doing a presentation of this sort, it's usually best to publish the folio as private using the Folio Producer web client. You'll get much better download performance.

I'm not sure what's causing the download problem, but a few other people have reported similar problems.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 29, 2012 2:03 AM   in reply to LDSdesign

I'm having very similar troubles on iPad: some Adobe accounts can't authenticate on Adobe Content Viewer even if normally authenticate in the website. Other accounts authenticate without problems.

The current situation is: 6 accounts can't authenticate, 4 of theese are newly created, others were created months ago... 3 accounts authenticate and were created months ago.

All the accounts are accredited with Indesign specific tool of the Digital Publishing Suite.

I tried to reinstall the app and I had the error "element cannot be installed" for 3 tries but the error doesn't resolve.

Please Adobe rapidly fix the problem beacuse we have client waiting for our demos.

Thank you.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 29, 2012 2:15 AM   in reply to LDSdesign

Bob

"When you're doing a presentation of this sort, it's usually best to publish the folio as private using the Folio Producer web client. You'll get much better download performance. I'm not sure what's causing the download problem, but a few other people have reported similar problems."

I can't figure out what is this solution "using the Folio Producer web client", maybe due to my english, can you tell us more about this

I think (THINK) this is what i do, the uploads i talk about are just to be seen when i log in my iPad and my ADobe COntent viwer account, it's not "pushed" public

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 29, 2012 2:47 AM   in reply to PaoloTonon

Dear PaoloTonon,

Did you try and login with the accounts not working on http://digitalpublishing.acrobat.com to accept the terms of use?

Also you should try and find your Master account, which should be able to activate, deactive and give different rights to your other accounts. Look, if your affected accounts have the proper rights there.

account.jpg

Dear jbalmain,

Bob is reffering to the possibility to publish folios to the distribution servers, if you are a paying customer.

You can do this in the Folio Producer on http://digitalpublishing.acrobat.com.

Just click Publish, give a unique product id (e.g. yourcompany.yourpublication.yourissue) and wait until the files are uploaded.

publish.jpg

Then you'll find another copy of your folio in the content viewer (iPad) without a blue lightning on it. These servers are more stable. Though, I'm not sure, if they "repair contaminated" folios.

Dear Bob,

am I right, that every download then charges with 0,22 € ?

Thanks a lot

- Richard

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,642 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Feb 29, 2012 8:53 AM   in reply to Richard Brammer

You don't need a Pro subscription to publish a folio as private. Anyone can do it.

|
    Mark as:
    Feb 29, 2012 10:28 AM   in reply to Richard Brammer

THANK you! THANK you!. This:  

Did you try and login with the accounts not working on http://digitalpublishing.acrobat.com to accept the terms of use?

Also you should try and find your Master account, which should be able to activate, deactive and give different rights to your other accounts. Look, if your affected accounts have the proper rights there.)

....fixed the problem I was having for days!! (Although the Adobe ID I was using is several years old, and I'm sure I accepted the terms and verified it the first time...I guess it lost that on the upgrade?) Who knows, but this fixed my login problem.

Anyone else who can't login — i also tried creating a new user ID - which of course took me through the same "authenticate and accept terms" process...and the new login worked on the ipad. The problem with that solution is that you have to email the folios to your new account becasue I had created them while signed into the old account (which was working fine on the computer)

Hope that makes sense.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 1, 2012 1:32 AM   in reply to Richard Brammer

Richard, as vick on a mac said, this exactly fix my problem, thank you very much!

Usability observation for Adobe: if the passage throuh http://digitalpublishing.acrobat.com   with acceptation of terms of use is compulsory in order to activate Content Viever why not link this page https://digitalpublishing.acrobat.com/SignIn.html inside the app instead of the standard webiste login?

Think about it.

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,642 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Mar 1, 2012 7:28 AM   in reply to PaoloTonon

Are you saying you signed in to http://digitalpublishing.acrobat.com and weren't prompted to sign the terms of use, but signing in to https://digitalpublishing.acrobat.com/SignIn.html worked properly?

My understanding and experience is that if you haven't signed in or accepted the terms of use, signing in to https://digitalpublishing.acrobat.com prompts the sign in and terms of use page.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 1, 2012 8:46 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Hi Bob-

I think the confusion (for me anyway) is that I'm using an "Adobe ID" that I thought was universal, so I could use it to login online to this site to post Qs here, login to adobe.com, to login within InDesign to create folios, and I previously was able to use it to login to the content Viewer on the ipad (untll recently) and update my folios.

I tried Richard's suggestion to login to: http://digitalpublishing.acrobat.com

and accepted the terms (the ipad never asked me to accept, and neither did adobe.com recently, however, I assume that I accepted them the first time when creating the account years ago.) And now I'm back in business with the old account. Something must have changed, where the DPS now requires this authentication, but didn't before. When I made a new account yesterday on the web, it went through these authentications automatically, and I could use it on the ipad.

Hope that helps.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 2, 2012 7:32 AM   in reply to vicky on a mac

Your Adobe ID remains the same, and is -almost- sitewide applicable. However, many parts (like this Forum, Dashboard, Pre-release, etc.) need their separate verification and/or log-in (with that ID) for legal reasons. ADPS needs to know that you have agreed to their "Don't Cry, No Warranties, Still Out On A Limb" terms and conditions, before they hand you the keys to your (free) parking space at the Adobe Folio servers. While logging into a paid service like Photoshop Revel is bound to a totally different agreement. Same ID, different service. So it's not just authentication, it's also a matter of a divers range of services, that each have their own (legal) state of maturity and accountability.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2012 11:33 AM   in reply to LDSdesign

Ok... I have been trying to download a presentation it's been 4 days. I have read the whole thread, and many others, have changed accounts, shared the folio, tried to download  the folio to the pc, tried to connect sync the ipad, side load the file and many other things... all I get is cannot connect to server at this time. I tried 3 different connection and even paid for a T1 at the hotel and nothing worked. The adobe health status says: no problems reported...

I used the CS5.5 trial weeks ago, created a presentation for me and my boss to use in our ipads, we like the tools and then I convinced him to upgrade our CS5 to CS 5.5 now instead of waiting for CS6. Now we are at a trade show in Europe, we have a couple of Ipads we want to load and updated version of the presentation and we cant.... everything works until you ger to the download part.... seriously adobe? the download part?

We are not spending money to publish anything, is just for our own use, but the thing is, we purchased the upgrade and the new tools to create a presentation format for a tablet, now I can't copy it to the tablet....

Sorry for the complaint but now I look bad, we don't have our presentations in our Ipads, the show starts tomorrow, my boss want to kill me and I can't find help in any of the posts.

Help, please!

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 20, 2012 11:42 AM   in reply to ig2012

Hi ig2012,

did you try to delete the folio on the servers and create it again with InDesign and the updated Folio Builder?

When I had a "cannot connect to server" problem, the reason was always  a cancelled upload from within InDesign. Creating this contaminated stack again helped.

If you don't have to many stacks (less than 50 or so), it might be worth a try to reproduce the folio.

Also, didn't it work to upload the folio to the distribution server? like suggested in my post above (this does work for non-paying customers, too, as Bob clarified).

Good luck!

Richard

|
    Mark as:
  • Bob Bringhurst
    4,642 posts
    May 29, 2007
    Mar 20, 2012 1:32 PM   in reply to Richard Brammer

Are you able to download a simple folio? How large are the folios you're trying to download? Have you tried publishing the folios as private? That could resolve the download issues.

By the way, there was no reason to upgrade from CS5 to CS5.5, at least not in terms of using DPS. DPS offers the exact same features in both version with one minor exception.

|
    Mark as:
    May 22, 2012 9:13 AM   in reply to Bob Bringhurst

Having the same issue...

I have tried downloading a simple folio but I am currently attempting to download a 241MB folio to my iPad and it continues to come to a halt around 9MB and I get the "Cannot connect to server at this time" error shortly after.

It is a private folio and I logged onto http://digitalpublishing.acrobat.com but it never asked me to agree to any terms or anything like that.

I still have not solved this problem.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points