May 4, 2011 6:14 PM

Cannot import MPEG-2 files into AME.

Error message reads "Error while decompressing the source file"

Other formats seem to work OK

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    May 5, 2011 9:44 AM   in reply to Costarr628

What platform are you using?

Where did you get the video file? What are it's characteristics?

The file might be corrupt. Or you could be missing a codec.

Are all MPEG-2 files not working for you or just this one?

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2011 1:06 PM   in reply to Costarr628

What application or bundle did AME come with? MPEG2 encoding and decoding is not available unless you're using Premiere Pro or Production Premium.

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2011 1:18 PM   in reply to Costarr628

When you import a supported file and try to change the output format through the dropdown, how many options do you have?

If it's less than let's say 6 to be safe, then it's in trial mode.

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2011 3:30 PM   in reply to Costarr628

|
    Mark as:
    May 5, 2011 4:04 PM   in reply to Costarr628

We really need to know

1. Which version of AME you have.

2. With which application bundle AME was installed

The codecs you get depends on what parent application installed AME or is on your system.

If you have AME because you purchased and installed Flash, you get less supported formats compared to if AME was installed via Premiere Pro or one of the Production Premium suite.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2011 1:18 AM   in reply to Costarr628

>  I feel a bit let down by Adobe on this. Nowhere in any promo, help

file, tutorial, or third party manual, is this mentioned. Some might call it

deceptive.

from "File formats supproted for export":

"Adobe Media Encoder is used both as a standalone application and as a component of Adobe Premiere Pro, After Effects, Flash Professional, Soundbooth, and Encore. The formats that Adobe Media Encoder can export depend on which of these applications are installed. The version of Adobe Media Encoder that is installed with Flash Professional can export to Flash video formats. To export to other video formats, you need the version that comes with the Production Premium or Master Collection edition, or with After Effects or Premiere Pro."

You're right that there isn't a similar note in the Help document for importing. That was an oversight. There's now a comment on that page of the Help document that makes this more clear.

|
    Mark as:
    May 7, 2011 1:21 AM   in reply to Supefan

>

That is terrible advice.

That codec pack installs components that are known to interfere with many video applications by displacing functioning codecs with nonfunctioning ones.

|
    Mark as:
  • Alec Baldwin
    4 posts
    Sep 17, 2011
    Currently Being Moderated
    Oct 26, 2011 8:04 AM   in reply to Costarr628

Hi all I had the same problem. If you rename the file wildcard ie .mpg to .avi then import that may work. I have used it a few times.

|
    Mark as:
    Oct 28, 2011 7:53 AM   in reply to Costarr628

Hi

I'm having the same problem - using a trial version of Media Encoder 5.5 on Win 7 Professional 64bit.

I tried renaming the extension to AVI like Alec Baldwin suggested, and - Media Encoder FINALLY added the file to the queue.

I then configured my encoding options but the encoding failed with the following error:

error.jpg

So that doesn't work either.

Supefan, I also installed k-lite codec pack for 64 bit and it doesn't work.

Todd_Kopriva - do you have any suggestion as to how we might fix this ?

|
    Mark as:
    Nov 11, 2011 11:15 AM   in reply to tibineagu

You can't fake out AME that way.

Changing a file extension from AVI to MPG or vice versa might work to get past the quick check for file type support to add it to the queue but as soon as it goes to render or preview it's gonna crash. <...snip... technical reasons ...snip...>

If you want MPEG support (or AVC for that matter) you need to be licensed for it.

1: The trial doesn't have that license

2: The Flash bundle doesn't either.

So you have to purchase Premiere Pro or Professional Bundle.

You 're trying to do something you're not licensed for.

Even if you DO manage to hack the importing or exporting to work with codec packs you'll be in license violation of the patent holders if you render to MPEG or AVC so your video will be illegal (in the law sense vs the standards complying sense)

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 2, 2012 5:30 PM   in reply to Todd_Kopriva

Hello, Im having the same issue. When i try to import MPG files it doesn't work. I figured it might be the version I have. I got AME as part of the Adobe Creative Suite master collection bundle. does that package support MPG imports? 

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 2, 2012 7:54 PM   in reply to Tyler3650

Yes, the non-trial Master Collection has the fully featured AME so you'll get MPEG import.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 2, 2012 9:39 PM   in reply to Rallymax-forum

Thank you, How do I get it to work? its saying its having a problem decoding it when i try to import.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 3, 2012 6:30 PM   in reply to Tyler3650

Install MediaInfo, run it on the video and send us the text output to us.

That'll give us a clue as to what the source video is. From there we can guess why it won't decode.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 3:09 AM   in reply to Rallymax-forum

Hi,

So I got MediaInfo and I ran it, these are the results. Is there no standalone codec out there that I can buy and that would "comply" with Media Encoder ?

Thanks

Tibi

mediainfo.jpg

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 11, 2012 9:27 AM   in reply to tibineagu

Hmmm...

your file looks fine.

tibineagu are you on a non-trial version now? As I stated above it won't work for the Trial version.

btw, installing a codec to decode mpeg2 won't help. Adobe uses an internal decoder that wins the vote as to who gets to do the work. So even if you have an mpeg2 decoder codec installed it won't win.

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 3:32 AM   in reply to Rallymax-forum

I have a licensed version of Flash CS5.5.

So what you're telling me, is that if I don't buy Premiere or some bundle from Adobe that contains the MPEG2 codec, there's nothing I can do ?

That doesn't sound right at all, I mean... Adobe aren't a closed eco-system like Apple, are they ?

|
    Mark as:
    Apr 12, 2012 8:08 AM   in reply to tibineagu

This is a matter of royalties. Adobe pays a royalty for every installation that supports MPEG2 (as well as formats that use other codecs). So management for each point product that installs AME decides whether to include the full set of formats or only a limited set of non-royalty bearing codecs.

If you have one of products that installs only the limited set, then there's currently no way to add codecs--short of buying a product or suite with the full set (Premiere Pro, After Effects, Production Premium, and Master Collection). I'll submit a feature request to provide a way for customers with the limited format set to purchase the royalty-bearing codecs.

|
    Mark as:
    May 27, 2012 11:00 PM   in reply to Mark Mapes

This is bug of AME. I capture sample by eMPIA USB 2.0 Video Devices EM28xx.

Sample file: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B2clLm5uvDqTWHdxclRWU29HODA

I have Flash CS5.5. (I can convert other mpeg to flv. Not license problem.)

Vista x64

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)