Skip navigation
TralfamadorianBlues
Currently Being Moderated

The volume of what is being recorded is far too low

Nov 5, 2011 12:36 PM

My operating system is XP and I have Audition 1.5. Just to let you know, I’m not too savvy with the technicalities of Audition. I just record, do noise reduction, Dynamic processing, add effects, and level everything. Anyway, I was recording fine until I decided to take a break and for some reason disconnected my mic (It’s a USB mic). When I came back I reconnected it and resumed recording but the volume of what was being recorded was minimal. I have to put the track in solo and put the volume all the way up to hear what was recorded and even then it sounds low. In the level meters when I’m recording my guitar, you can see it respond to it. If I play hard enough the levels will go all the way up yet in the multitrack window you cant see the sound waves of what is being recorded. That’s how low it is. I tried restarting the program and the computer as well as raising the mic volume in the control panel. Nothing seems to work. Does anyone have any idea as to what it can be?

Thanks in advance.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Nov 7, 2011 6:33 PM   in reply to TralfamadorianBlues

My first question would be "What kind of Drivers are you using for that USB Mic?", if perhaps they are not ASIO could be a Driver conflict causing trouble and I would check this first, on the other hand from your description you adjusted the levels in the mixer is it the Windows mixer or the mixer for the USB Mic? which ever it is I suggest that the mic could be the problem and an Update to the drivers might solve your problem. Another suggestion would be to update the mic too. I hope this helps you in some way.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,610 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Nov 8, 2011 2:09 AM   in reply to CTStump#1

CTStump#1 wrote:

if perhaps they are not ASIO...

They can't be - this is 1.5 and it doesn't use ASIO. USB mics are notorious for causing all sorts of problems, never mind what software you are using and invariably it's the mic, its driver or control app that are causing the trouble.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 3, 2012 12:44 PM   in reply to TralfamadorianBlues

Hi, I have been using Audition since Adobe bought Cool Edit Pro (I am a voice actor), and for some unknown reason (and something that has yet to be addressed), Audition will reset your record and playback settings arbitrarily. I use a Symetrix 528E voice processor and I STILL can't get a decent volume on a recording. I even hired the audio tech guru, George Whittam, and paid him $150 for an hour's worth of tech support to get the levels up. He got the level up, and then 2 days later (without changing a THING, by the way), the levels were barely showing up. When you amplify the entire file, you get a room hiss, something I cannot abide by in audio book recording. This is a SOFTWARE problem that is not being fixed by Adobe. I'm in the market for a new and decent software that is reliable, easy to use, and where this doesn't happen constantly. Any recommendations? I'm tired of these problems with Audition. I just want it to work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want Cool Edit Pro back.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,610 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Mar 3, 2012 1:21 PM   in reply to rrowan55

rrowan55 wrote:

Hi, I have been using Audition since Adobe bought Cool Edit Pro (I am a voice actor), and for some unknown reason (and something that has yet to be addressed), Audition will reset your record and playback settings arbitrarily. I use a Symetrix 528E voice processor and I STILL can't get a decent volume on a recording. I even hired the audio tech guru, George Whittam, and paid him $150 for an hour's worth of tech support to get the levels up. He got the level up, and then 2 days later (without changing a THING, by the way), the levels were barely showing up. When you amplify the entire file, you get a room hiss, something I cannot abide by in audio book recording. This is a SOFTWARE problem that is not being fixed by Adobe. I'm in the market for a new and decent software that is reliable, easy to use, and where this doesn't happen constantly. Any recommendations? I'm tired of these problems with Audition. I just want it to work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I want Cool Edit Pro back.

Sorry, but that's plain wrong. In all versions of Audition and Cool Edit up to 1.5, all recording takes place using the Windows APIs and DLLs. In 1.5 and earlier versions, you get a menu in the options box to open the Windows mixer - which is what actually controls your record levels, not Audition. Audition doesn't reset that - ever. Something else might, I suppose - but not Audition. If Audition did as you claim, then just about every radio station in the world would have complained about it ages ago - and they haven't.

If you spent $150 getting somebody to reset the audio record levels for you then a) you were done royally, and b) you should expect him to tell you exactly what he did (which is gloriously simple) without you having to pay him a cent more.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 3, 2012 3:41 PM   in reply to TralfamadorianBlues

Perhaps that was true with Adobe Audition 1.5, but not the later versions. There IS no Windows Recording Mixer, as there was in the earlier version, and from what I can tell, no way to set the input recording level in Audition. You have to do that with your sound card, your mixer, and your mic pre amp. And when these are set to nearly MAX, my voice still barely registers. It's been a problem since I "upgraded" to Audition 2.0 and then CS 5.5.

|
    Mark as:
  • SteveG(AudioMasters)
    5,610 posts
    Oct 26, 2006
    Mar 4, 2012 2:38 AM   in reply to rrowan55

rrowan55 wrote:

Perhaps that was true with Adobe Audition 1.5, but not the later versions. There IS no Windows Recording Mixer, as there was in the earlier version, and from what I can tell, no way to set the input recording level in Audition. You have to do that with your sound card, your mixer, and your mic pre amp. And when these are set to nearly MAX, my voice still barely registers. It's been a problem since I "upgraded" to Audition 2.0 and then CS 5.5.

No version of Audition has ever set record levels - whatever driver it uses. Never has, never will. Just because there was a shortcut to the mixer in earlier versions didn't mean that Audition had anything to do with it - because it simply didn't.

But it's not true that there's no recording mixer - there is. You get to it from Start>Programs>Accessories>Entertainment in XP. And if you are using the Audition Windows Driver, then you have to use it. The only difference is that there's no link to it from Audition's desktop any more. But if you are using ASIO drivers for your sound device, then you have to use the appropriate control panel for the device you are using to set the levels. And since you haven't said what that is (are you just plugging the Symetrix into the line input on your PC?), I can't give you any more specific information about it.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points
  • 5-500 points