Skip navigation
browneye-1
Currently Being Moderated

How to open jpg, tiff files in camera raw from elements 10 organizer

Mar 2, 2012 4:59 PM

How to open JPG, TIFF files in camera raw from Elements 10 organizer.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 2, 2012 8:41 PM   in reply to browneye-1

You can't do that from within Organizer.  You have to use the Editor's File...Open As and in the OpenFile dialog, select the "Camera RAW" file type, then pick your JPG or TIF file.

Ken

Message was edited by: photodrawken to refine answer.

|
    Mark as:
  • 99jon
    12,821 posts
    Jan 6, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 3, 2012 8:30 AM   in reply to browneye-1

If you are lucky enough to have Bridge that will enable you to open multiple images in raw (select thumbnails and press Cmd+R)

John Ellis has a tool for opening imager directly from the Organizer although it’s not been updated or tested with the latest versions of Elements. But it’s free to download and other have claimed it works well once set up in preferences as an external raw editor.

http://johnrellis.com/editinacr/

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 3, 2012 8:31 AM   in reply to 99jon

I've been told it doesn't work with PSE 10, but it can't hurt to try it.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2012 6:08 AM   in reply to browneye-1

You might be able to set up something using applescript or automator.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2012 6:46 AM   in reply to browneye-1

Here is an article which talks about opening JPEGs in ACR dialog but not from Organizer - http://bit.ly/AeePra

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2012 9:04 AM   in reply to browneye-1

You're welcome.

Ken

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 4, 2012 11:50 AM   in reply to browneye-1

Automator is easier than applecscript because you just have to put the blocks together. No coding required.

|
    Mark as:
    May 14, 2012 6:59 AM   in reply to Barbara B.

Ive been struggling with opening JPEG's into Camera Raw via PSE10 for some time and have just today found the way.

1) Open PSE10

2) Open Organiser (you need to do this to get the file name of the photo you want to load since only file names appear in (4) below.

Their is no other option available.

3)Go back into PSE10, select 'File' then 'Open'

4) Select 'All Documents'

5)Select the required File Name you want to open

6)Then in 'Format" box select up/down arrows and select 'Camera Raw"

7)Click 'OPEN' and the selected file will appear in Camera Raw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ive found that this works every time.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 27, 2012 11:58 AM   in reply to photodrawken

Photodrawken, the flaw in your otherwise very helpful suggestion is that it doesn't work in the Mac version; there is on "Open As..." option—or am I missing something? Bluesman's answer #13 below saves me, but Adobe sure makes it hard.

Although I tell students in my photography classes that PSE has 70 percent of the functionality of PS at one-sixth the price, I'm learning how Adobe makes sure it's one-sixth the value. We can't even copy the filename below a thumbnail, let alone have the path show automatically; we have to open the Properties window. Also, we're advised to create new catalogs, but apparently there's no direct way to switch imported images to the new one. I'm still figuring that out.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2012 3:53 AM   in reply to damead

Hi Damead.

You may be interested in the following since I've now found a much quicker/simpler way to get these JPEGS open in Camera Raw PSE10 and it works every time on Mac OS (thats all I use).

1) In PSE10 open 'File'.

2) Select 'Open'.

3) Select 'Photo' that you need (ensure of cause that you are in 'Thumbnail' veiw).

4) Now, in the box thats opened up, go down to the 'Format' box in the lower LH corner. This will show 'JPEG',        but now select the 'up/down' button and change it to 'Camera Raw'.

5) Finally click on 'Open' in the lower RH corner.

You will now have opened the file in Camera Raw. Hope that helps since its much simpler than the previous method.

Regards.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 28, 2012 11:13 AM   in reply to Bluesman230443

Thanks again, Bluesman. I actually figured this out while following your earlier instructions. The moral: Skip Organizer altogether. Intriguingly, during my steep learning curve on Organizer, I contacted an acquaintance I knew taught Photoshop Elements classes. He informed me that his curriculum didn't include the Organizer! He, too, apparently bypasses it altogether.

Having been spoiled by Bridge in both PSE 8 and Photoshop CS-x, I find Organizer almost impossibly confusing. We can't really tell where an image file actually is or even copy-paste its filename except through the Properties window. It seems to follow the metaphor of Lightroom, of a library card catalog, whereas Bridge guides users through the library stacks themselves.

The challenge for a teacher is clearly explaining this intervening data layer and demonstrating that it's worth the trouble to Adult Ed students who just want to process images, not spend a lot of time required maintaining an intervening catalog (designed as an ultimate system for pros with hundreds of thousands of images and a time crunch). I suspect I'm going to just teach them to build their folder heirarchy with the Finder and then bring up the image files directly in PSE as you essentially suggest. If Adobe wants to keep the PSE the low-cost, non-pro alternative to PS, I think it would be smart to go back to Bridge.

FWIW....

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 29, 2012 7:42 AM   in reply to damead

Thanks for that Damead, I agree with you that Organiser is real pain (there is a total lack of intuitiveness if that is  the correct word).

For my own work I use 'Lightroom' for around 90% of the time, only going into PSE10 for the 10% difficult bits the Lightroom can't handle.

I only needed to sort out the JPEG file opening method within PSE10 for some freinds in a small Photo Group that I run in Woodhall Spa, UK. 50% of the 12 members are beginners & a number of them do not have Raw capability on their Camera's, but now they can get their JPEG's into Camera Raw within PSE10 they have the same simple tabular form of adjustment sliders (not as many as in Lightroom of cause) but it gets over the labourious problem of going thru the PSE10's individual tool selection process each and every time since we are trying to get everyone in the Group working with individual Tools rather than the 'Auto' functions. We do this so that they learn what they are doing rather than staying 'dumb&happy' within Auto all the time & they also learn how to get more detailed control for each photo.

Ref. your comments on file handling/usage, I agree with your comments. Its far and away much more preferable to set up a file structure in 'Finder" (or in 'Explorer' if still using Windows) that you understand so you always know how to find the files. Also, I also never ever use the Camera Auto Load programme but physically 'drag & drop' photo files direct from the 'card' into the file system so I always know thier place (ie: they go into the location I want, not that which the Auto Loader wants).

As regards your comment about 'Lightroom', I don't have any problems at all since I just imported the whole of my photo file structure into the Lightroom Library Catalouge and then it automatically shows up on the LHS of the screen, still in that format, so you can search it direct within Lightroom and display all of the photo's in variuos arrangements and sizes; everything is as easy to find as it is in 'Finder' plus of cause you have all the 'Tagging' possibilities to use as well. As you add more new files into the 'Finder' structure, all you need to do in Lightroom is reimport, starting 1 level up from the new files and Lightroom will find the new files that need loading (ignoring the older ones already in the Library at that or lower levels) then 1 click and its done.

Your comments about getting others to follow a set file structure is very pertinant and also applies to evrything else that one ever does apart from just photo work; the times I have had to help others find info/files etc on their PC's because they don' know the location of anything is too many to contemplate.

Regards

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 29, 2012 8:18 AM   in reply to Bluesman230443

Wow, Bluesman, you might just have talked me into using Lightroom!  I've owned it for two years but never got started on it because I couldn't comprehend how to transition from Bridge. And this morning I woke up thinking that what Organizer really needed to work for me was the left-hand column showing the actual file structure, so I could visualize the connection. You're saying LR does. I'll give it a try.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 29, 2012 8:50 AM   in reply to damead

Go for it Damead and the other big benifit will be that the mods. that you make for each photo are saved as a 'Metadata' file in the catalogue so you are not changing the original file at all.

You can also have several different 'Metadata' files for the same original image.

Just save the first as a 'virtual image' then reload the original and start again; its that simple.

When you save the virtual images they appear alongside the original in the catalogue display automatically so they are in the Lidrary files structure but only taking up the metadata file size which is tiny compared with the original raw file.

Its brilliant.

I think the most variations I have done on one monochrome image in this way is 15 to date.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 29, 2012 9:23 AM   in reply to Bluesman230443

I understand the advantages to LR. But is there a way to import an entire hard drive into it, so I can set it up overnight and have it done in the morning? What has stopped me so far is that I seem to have to do it one folder (+ subfolders) of images at a time, and I have hundreds of folders. That adds up to hours of work. When I just choose the whole drive for import, it says it can't find images.

Maybe we should find a way to email privately, since we seem to be getting off-topic. Or is this on topic?

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 29, 2012 10:19 AM   in reply to damead

This discussion came naturally out of the JPEG/Camera Raw problem and I can't see the problem; anyway if anyone complains, its "tough" as far as I'm concerned.

Importing a separate HD should be no problem.

Open LR, go into Library, Import, and then track your way thru to the HD. At this point you should be able to open the HD in the LR Import window and see all of the files.

If your file structure is all within one folder, go to import that top file and click to include subfolder etc. and away you go.

Alternative is if you only have many seperated photo files and nothing else on the HD you should (but I have not done this b4) be able to just to click on the HD and ask to import that with all sub folders. If it can't do this, the way round it is to set up  new master folder for the photo's on the HD and then d&d ALL of your files into it (this will take 20 secs in 'Finder') and then proceeded as per the first option.

Try it and see what happens, it shouldn't take all night since its not importing the whole files, only setting up links to them with thumb nails.  When you open each file afterwards for the first time it may take a few minutes, depending on the number and size of files, to display all of the thumbnails in the folder. To stop this happening you can, after the initial import is finished, is click on the HD in the Library structure and it will then open ALL of the thumbnails in one longgggggggg vertical scollable window.

You can set the size of the thumbmails; I use 5 across the width on my 21.5" iMac.

After that each individual files thumbnails open instantly when you click on the folder.

Let me know how you get on.

|
    Mark as:
    Sep 29, 2012 1:01 PM   in reply to Bluesman230443

Thanks!  I'll try it.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status