Skip navigation
Frank Bungartz
Currently Being Moderated

Anyone interested in mapping Lightroom keywords to XMP?

Mar 3, 2012 8:25 PM

I have been using IDimager for years and love it for its powerful image database capabilities. One particular feature I just love: label (or keyword) mapping to XMP.

What it is?

Imagine you use hierarchical keywords to catalog your images. So far so good. Lightroom does that very well. Now you have a keyword hierarchy "photographer - Tom Taylor". You add that keyword to all the photos that Tom Taylor took. But there is also a metadata field for the creator of those images. Would it not be neat if adding the keyword "photographer - Tom Taylor" that metadata field "image creator" actually gets assigned "Tom Taylor" automatically. That is what label mapping does - in IDimager it fills the XMP metadata fields with catalog keywords (called labels) automatically as soon as those keywords are assigned to an image. The user can customize any keyword so that it is not just used as part of the catalog but also written into the corresponing metadata field.

This means, instead of having to fill metadata fields with custim templates simply cataloging your images, tagging them with keywords, will do the job.

Would be really neat to have such a feature implemented in Lightroom as well....

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 4, 2012 2:31 PM   in reply to Frank Bungartz

Hallo Frank,

let me ask a stupid question: are keywords not written into XMP ?

Do I understand your proposal correctly, that I would have the same meta-content twice afterwards: once inside the IPTC-fields, once as keywords?

Your filling method would be convenient if one needs the IPTC-fields filled. But do you?

I had the feeling they were intended as a standard to describe images, but somehow abandoned by *public interest* ...

Cornelia

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points
  • 501-1,000 points