Skip navigation
The Almighty Egg
Currently Being Moderated

OSMF Based Player Locks in iOS with Progressive MP4s and Autoplay

Feb 29, 2012 1:22 PM

Tags: #autoplay #player #osmf #stagevideo #strobemediaplayback

I am working on a mobile project that is built for iPad. The project includes an OSMF-based media player. However, the app is locking intermittently. I created a bare test application to try and narrow down the problem:

The app creates an instance of StrobeMediaPlayback. The player is fed an MP4 via HTTP (progressive). When the player reports complete (TimeEvent.COMPLETE dispatched by the StrobeMediaPlayback instances 'player' property), the player is fed another MP4 and begins playback ('configuration.src' is set followed by a call to 'loadMedia'). The player cycles through a list of four MP4s in this fashion, like a looping playlist. Eventually, the app will lock when beginning to load a new file. This sometimes happens immediately, sometimes it takes minutes, sometimes it takes half an hour, but it always happens.

If I disable 'autoplay' on the player, listen for the player to enter the ready state, and then insert a small delay before calling 'play', the app will run for hours without any problems. If I enable 'autoplay' or begin playback as soon as the player reports 'ready', the app will lock.

My original test was with my own OSMF-based player. I have not seen anyone else report anything similar to this, so I set it up with Strobe just to make sure I wasn't handling OSMF badly. The results have been identical.

I can find no useful information in the app's crash log. The app is simply shut down by iOS for becoming unresponsive. I have tried running the app hooked to the debugger, but nothing is reported.

Some details:

OSMF 1.6

Strobe Player 1.6.328

iPad 2 running iOS 5.0.1

Flash CS 5.5 patched with Air 3 (app reports Flash Player IOS 11,1,102,58 )

I can provide code for my main test class if more detail is required.

Can anyone offer any insight into this? Right now this project is stuck because the app is unstable.

Replies
  • Currently Being Moderated
    Mar 1, 2012 3:19 AM   in reply to The Almighty Egg

Hi TAEgg,

please report an issue with the code snippet to https://bugs.adobe.com/jira/browse/FM .

SMP was not designed and certified against such usage - so the problem could be in yorur code, SMP, OSMF, AIR or undelying Flash. I would bet on the fact that the downloaded assets are not cleaned from the memory when you end the playback. I would suggest to try streaming assets for low-memory systems as the portable devices, not progressive.

Could you replicate the issue on AIR on desktop?

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 2, 2012 1:33 AM   in reply to The Almighty Egg

Hi,

Ideally a snippet replicating the issue is the best thing to attach to a bug report. If not (and the code is secret), a description would be enough - this will allow us to make a simple app to replicate it, when we start investigating the bug.

I would say that it's not an OSMF bug, but an AIR issue on that device.

|
    Mark as:
    Mar 5, 2012 2:55 AM   in reply to The Almighty Egg

You can report AIR bugs to https://bugbase.adobe.com/ . We're not using the same bugbase now.

Thank you,

S.

|
    Mark as:

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Answers + Points = Status

• 10 points awarded for Correct Answers
  • 5 points awarded for Helpful Answers
  • 10,000+ points
  • 1,001-10,000 points